Texting at Sea?

I've done a bit of research, and found that the Cellular at Sea for my carrier (Ting) would be 12 cents for each outgoing text.    I'm thinking to turn off my talk minutes and data and only leave the text on.  This would allow us to communicate with 2 teenagers without the Voom package which I don't think I need or want.

Has anyone done this to communicate while on-board?  Hoping to avoid any pitfalls....

5 minutes ago, cruisingcasual said:

I've done a bit of research, and found that the Cellular at Sea for my carrier (Ting) would be 12 cents for each outgoing text.    I'm thinking to turn off my talk minutes and data and only leave the text on.  This would allow us to communicate with 2 teenagers without the Voom package which I don't think I need or want.

Has anyone done this to communicate while on-board?  Hoping to avoid any pitfalls....

Texting via Cellular at Sea has worked fine for us.  However, it would scare the heck out of me to have two teenagers on a "pay by the text" plan.  I would also verify that their is no charge for receiving texts.

14 minutes ago, Nectarologist said:

Do you have iPhones? I was able to use iMessage for free to anyone (on ship or land) who had an iPhone with iMessage enabled.  

Will that work on Adventure? That would be awsome! What setting do you need in order to receive iMessages without incuring roaming charges?

Just now, kitiara said:

Will that work on Adventure? That would be awsome! What setting do you need in order to receive iMessages without incuring roaming charges?

Nope.

Only Harmony and Quantum class ships at the moment.  I would expect the Harmony hole to be plugged at any time.

2 hours ago, GetToLivin said:

We just purchase voom and text through apps like FB or IG -- no worries about extra charges that way.

Why not enable WiFi calling, and you can call and text directly for no extra fee?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cruisingcasual said:

Yes, I did check that.  Legit price there.  Now, the minutes and data rates I'd rather not mention...

Good call on the teenagers!  Luckily, I only pay the bills on one, my daughters friend is the other.

Still, if they are texting friends at home, you could find yourself paying for many hundreds, if not thousands of texts.

Cheaper to buy Voom wifi and enable WiFi calling.  That way they can video chat with their friends at home also.

3 hours ago, kitiara said:

Hi. You just need to be logged in to the ships wifi. I was on Anthem and that ship has you log onto their wifi network (for free) so you can use their on-board app.  Since you're on the wifi network, iMessage will work b/c it communicates via wifi (not a traditional cellular signal).  You follow the steps to use the app that includes turning off data usage (Royal provides this info).  I don't remember exactly but you basically go into airplane mode and then turn wifi back on.  After that you are all set.  It will work with ipod touches too or an old iPhone that you don't have hooked up to a phone plan (even an ipad & watch) (any apple device that connects to wifi).  I sent family back home pictures via iMessage, it was great.  I didn't try wifi calling but I suppose you could do that too.  Of course the recipient needs to have iMessage too so you coun't text people that have a driod phone. I see that it doesn't work on Adventure 😞 but just an fyi for others wondering how this works.

Edited by Nectarologist

She understands, there won't be 100's of texts. The person she wants to hang out with most is coming with us, conveniently enough. 

Worst case, she runs up a bill, she pays. She has a job, but I can tell you that's not how she wants to spend her money. She wants a car and thinks twice before spending her hard earned coin.  

2 hours ago, Nectarologist said:

Hi. You just need to be logged in to the ships wifi. I was on Anthem and that ship has you log onto their wifi network (for free) so you can use their on-board app.  Since you're on the wifi network, iMessage will work b/c it communicates via wifi (not a traditional cellular signal). 

As others before you said, this does not work on all ships.  It only works on Quantum-class ships and Harmony of the Seas.  Basically, if the ship uses the RoyalIQ app, this works...

I called my carrier, T-Mobile.   They said I could call or text from the ship for free if I use the ship's wifi.   They said to turn off cellular data and to use the phone in airplane mode to assure no charges.     I inquired about iPhone to iPhone.

I get free calling and texting in all of North America.  Ports aren't an issue.   

2 minutes ago, AnnaNicole said:

...  They said to turn off cellular data and to use the phone in airplane mode to assure no charges.  ...

Just a reminder that once you put the phone in Airplane Mode, you have to turn WiFI back on.

• Like 1

I called my carrier, T-Mobile.   They said I could call or text from the ship for free if I use the ship's wifi.   They said to turn off cellular data and to use the phone in airplane mode to assure no charges.     I inquired about iPhone to iPhone.

I get free calling and texting in all of North America.  Ports aren't an issue.   

Yes - but Royal charges $11-$17 each day to use the ships WiFi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, AnnaNicole said:

Download the app prior to departure for free wifi

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-is-the-new-royal-caribbean-app

Again, does not work on all ships.  The Royal app may work, but not all ships have the "hole" (ok, bad word to use on a ship) that allows some services through.  Also, it's not wide open "free WiFi", only certain things work, on ships where it works.  The ship you were on, Anthem, is one where that is open.  In fact - it only works on ships still using the RoyalIQ app...

• Like 1