First Time Cruising Celebrity...beginning to get concerned

AnnemarieC76

I have been on numerous cruises in the past all NCL and RCCL...this is my first time booking a cruise on Celebrity.  The itinerary and timing worked out perfect.  There are four of in our family so we decided to book 2 inside cabins.  In the past I have tried all types of cabins; however, it made the most sense for us to go with inside this time.  HOWEVER, after reading through these boards I am beginning to think that booking Celebrity might have been a mistake..it is appearing as though if you book an inside cabin you are treated as though you are a second class citizen...not just from the staff but from some of the passengers as well...I have read more about the areas we will not be permitted in than I have about the areas we will be permitted in.   Am I getting the wrong impression? or Should I book us on a different cruise line?  I am looking for honest answers...please!  

Edited by AnnemarieC76
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't look at it as "areas you aren't permitted in." 

I would look at it as: "if you book certain categories, which are a lot more money, you will have added perks and benefits."

It's not a separation by class.  Anyone, including yourself can choose to book an Aqua or suite category. 

Cruise lines want to give people some benefit for paying a lot more for their cabins.  Oceanview guests get windows.  Balcony guests get balconies.  Aqua and Suite category guests get special dining rooms.  Suite guests get a special lounge.  Suite rooms are larger.  etc.  

Good luck finding a cruise ship where everyone gets exactly the same thing regardless of what they pay.  It won't happen.  If you pay more, you should get more.   

That's my opinion

• Like 4

You're getting the wrong impression. Other than the areas for suites and dining rooms for Aqua and Suites you can pretty much go anywhere. Even Persian Garden is available if you want to buy a pass. Not sure how anyone would know you are in an inside room vs. Oceanview or regular balcony unless they want to follow you around. I've done everything from Aqua to Oceanview and never felt I've been treated any differently by any one, crew or passengers.

Where are you not allowed to go because of having an inside cabin?  I would think the locations for an inside cabin would be the same for all cabins up through and including concierge balconies.  Aqua class has its own restaurant (and free access to the thermal spa--but you could pay for that if you wanted), suites have their own restaurant as well, their own bar, and an area called "the retreat" for suites only.  Very similar to other mass market cruise lines.  NCL has suite only areas, Cunard has tiered dining rooms, etc.

Edited to add --I think RCCL has it's own suite areas and restaurant as well.  So I think Celebrity is very similar to NCL and RCCL in this.

Edited by byronetta
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AnneMarie, you're very new to CruiseCritic and have never posted before.  I wonder what gave you this impression to begin with.

Is this really a legit concern?  I don't think you will find many people who agree with your assessment.  

As to the other passengers, no one knows what category cabin you're in unless you tell them.

We have our first cruise on X in June, and have sailed on several other cruise lines, some more premium than X and some less.  I prefer my first cruise on a new line to be in a standard cabin so we get a feel for the ship and what's included for the "regular" passenger.  There will be plenty of other passengers in the same boat (ha) as you, so I wouldn't be too concerned.  Go and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

You definitely have the wrong impression.

Once you are out of your cabin, no-one knows what class of cabin you're in except, maybe, some of the crew, who are making the same in gratuities from you as anyone else, so they will not treat you any differently.

You are definitely getting the wrong impression. Although I can see why you have it, don't worry. You have access to almost the entire ship with the exception of a few small areas that are designated for suites, and Blu (Aqua class dining) and Luminae (Suites dining). The MDR, as well as all other dining venues are open and available, there's no restricted access to any of the entertainment. Some of the ships have a dedicated small pool area forward on an upper deck, but the main pool area as well as the solarium pool is open to all (solarium is adults only most of the time.) The extra fee restaurants are open to anyone who wants to pay extra, but between the MDR, Ocean View Café (buffet) Mast Grill (Burgers) Spa Café, there's plenty of wonderful options. The crew will be wonderful and welcoming. They don't care what room you've booked. Although we've never booked an inside cabin due to my claustrophobia, we've sailed in Oceanview, Concierge and Aqua and have seen no difference in how we've been treated. You made a wonderful choice. Don't let any perceived snobbery on these boards cause you even a second worth of worry. If we meet aboard ship, you won't know whether I'm sailing in a Royal Suite or an inside cabin, and vice versa. Relax and enjoy your cruise. You've made a wonderful choice. The service on X IMHO is world's above the lines you mentioned. You don't have to reserve theater seats, or be judged by the vast majority of fellow cruisers or by the crew.

• Like 6

I am sure that you will find that the passengers on  X  aren’t like some other cruise lines where the passengers wear vests and layards that display pins and badges  of their past cruises and  cabin card showing their loyalty status.

Treat the staff with a smile and like a friend instead of a servant and they will treat you the same.

Dont  worry about it and enjoy the cruise.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 4

I have a review of the Edge on here sailing from the inside that might help. The only thing we missed was the retreat area and a couple of dining areas, Blu and Lumenae (?). 

Missing those did not really impact our trip at all, just missed the forward view, but not a deal breaker for us. 

I wouldn’t say that we were treated differently based on the room we were in, nobody knows when you were out and about. The only thing we noticed was more inconsiderate people (not a lot by any means) than on other lines we have sailed, which really surprised us. Not sure if it is common or we just got a bad week. People can flame me if they want, but it was definitely noticeable. We did chat with many very nice couples too:)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

AnneMarie, you're very new to CruiseCritic and have never posted before.  I wonder what gave you this impression to begin with.

Is this really a legit concern?  I don't think you will find many people who agree with your assessment.  

Actually this profile is new - thank you - I had a previous profile; however my screen name (AnneNChris) was unable to be changed and considering I went through a divorce from Chris (the second part of the screen name) I found it very uncomfortable using that as my screen name - 

What gave me the impression was reading through posts - I am a natural researcher - as far as the legitimacy of my concern I am a firm believer that feelings are not facts - and instead of manifesting and harboring concerns it would be much better to discuss them and ask questions - all negative thoughts die in the light of exposure - the reason for my post was to either validate or disregard my initial assessment - so thank you 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have been on various celebrity ships and I have never even been aware of areas which are specifically for suite cruisers. I have found that many many frequent cruisers stay in an inside then they can cruise several times a year. Ignore commmets and enjoy what will be a marvellous cruise. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnnemarieC76 said:

The Summit - 

We sailed Summit to Bermuda.....lovely ship!! We are early 40s...sailed on her 9 years ago....great cozy vibe on that ship!!! Incredible service.....one of our most favorite cruises.....

Enjoy and you be you !!!😎🍷🛳️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nasus2 said:

I have been on various celebrity ships and I have never even been aware of areas which are specifically for suite cruisers. I have found that many many frequent cruisers stay in an inside then they can cruise several times a year. Ignore commmets and enjoy what will be a marvellous cruise. 

That is my dad's approach--he always stays in the cheapest cabin he can find because he is outgoing and will never be in it except to sleep.  I'm the opposite.   Gotta have some space (small room with balcony works for me).  I am introverted, get worn out by crowds, and as a result spend a lot of time in my cabin.  Great that cruises have all sorts of options, and you can choose to pay for what you want.

I know several people who can afford any room on the ship, but prefer to stay in an inside. Some need total darkness to sleep. Others see anything else as a waste of money. The person in a Suite may have saved for years to take the cruise. The person who selects inside may take 15 cruises a year. You just don't know and it shouldn't make any difference. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AnnemarieC76 said:

What gave me the impression was reading through posts - I am a natural researcher - as far as the legitimacy of my concern I am a firm believer that feelings are not facts - and instead of manifesting and harboring concerns it would be much better to discuss them and ask questions - all negative thoughts die in the light of exposure - the reason for my post was to either validate or disregard my initial assessment - so thank you 

I too, am new to Celebrity.  My first sailing will be 3/23.  I have sailed 11 times on other cruise lines.  I read many of the posts about Celebrity before booking, and aside from posts about lanyards, and Captain's Club elite statuses, I didn't see anything which would give me a similar concern to yours.  I ended up booking Concierge category, then upgraded to Aqua when there was a price drop so I got the upgrade for free.  I don't feel any sense of entitlement being in this category vs another.  I only feel I'm paying a lot for a cabin on a high deck with a balcony, and access to a dining room I didn't even care about...  

I hope you enjoy your cruise.  

PS:  since you've been here a long time, you've seen message board trolls too, who just want to "stir the pot."  Happy to see that's not your intent.  Thanks for elaborating about your experiences here.  It makes me more inclined to have an honest dialogue. (but that's me... )

Edited by mfs2k
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mfs2k said:

I too, am new to Celebrity.  My first sailing will be 3/23.  I have sailed 11 times on other cruise lines.  I read many of the posts about Celebrity before booking, and aside from posts about lanyards, and Captain's Club elite statuses, I didn't see anything which would give me a similar concern to yours.  I ended up booking Concierge category, then upgraded to Aqua when there was a price drop so I got the upgrade for free.  I don't feel any sense of entitlement being in this category vs another.  I only feel I'm paying a lot for a cabin on a high deck with a balcony, and access to a dining room I didn't even care about...  

I hope you have enjoy your cruise.  

PS:  since you've been here a long time, you've seen message board trolls too, who just want to "stir the pot."  Happy to see that's not your intent.  Thanks for elaborating about your experiences here.  It makes me more inclined to have an honest dialogue. (but that's me... )

I keep checking for price drops lol!!  I am so excited to go...I just started getting so nervous and I was like - welp time to post to cruise critic...it has been a good amount of time since I have cruised so needless to say I just want to read read read! I absolutely will be looking for your review of your sailing...we sail 8/4 🙂

• Like 1

We have sailed in inside, ocean view, balcony and concierge - never in a suite.  We have enjoyed every cruise and never felt excluded or looked down upon because of our choice.  I don't begrudge the suite guests their small private areas, because I know I could have several cruises for the price they have paid for their suite.  Once on board we are hardly aware of the restricted areas.  

Sheila

• Like 1

OP, since your original post mentioned that you've sailed Royal, if you belong to the Crown & Anchor, call and get a Captains Club number and have both attached to your reservation. It may get you some added niceties. You can do that by calling 1-800-760-0654.

Edited by Luvcrusn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnnemarieC76 said:

I keep checking for price drops lol!!  I am so excited to go...I just started getting so nervous and I was like - welp time to post to cruise critic...it has been a good amount of time since I have cruised so needless to say I just want to read read read! I absolutely will be looking for your review of your sailing...we sail 8/4 🙂

Keep looking for those price drops.

In past cruises, I've booked insides and oceanviews to save some money, then decided I really wanted a balcony, so bit the bullet and paid a bit extra while they were still available.  You might decide to do the same if you really feel you'll be happier.  The question for you will be:  What's it worth to be happier and not have self doubt? "

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Orator said:

I know several people who can afford any room on the ship, but prefer to stay in an inside. Some need total darkness to sleep. Others see anything else as a waste of money. The person in a Suite may have saved for years to take the cruise. The person who selects inside may take 15 cruises a year. You just don't know and it shouldn't make any difference. 

YES!  However - do not get me wrong - I LOVE the balcony rooms and suites - but I want my 2 kids to come (15 and 22) and all of our personalities will not fit in any room small than a PH lol  - someday when I get past the guilt of not bringing my grown "babies" I will sail again with a view - LOL! 

I appreciate the response because IO totally agree 🙂

• Like 1

So sorry you have that impression of X cruisers...a 'researcher' myself, I can't see where you've read that 'people are snobby on X'.  I've read a lot of criticisms of the ships, the food, the staff sometimes, but I can honestly say that over many years I have not read on this board that X cruisers care what cabin you're in (impossible to know) or that they treat you differently once you've told them.  We're not perfect or all the time the nicest or most polite, but can you quote one of the comments found somewhere to help us understand how you got that impression? 

• Like 2