Alaska puppies in the piazza

aalonzo2019

Hello,

we we will be cruising on the Ruby princess in May 2019 to Alaska. I know that during the Skagway stop there are puppies brought on board. For those of you who have done this cruise I have a few questions. What time more or less do the puppies arrive/leave? To get a picture do you stand in line? Does everyone in line get a picture even if the lines very long? Sorry for all the questions trying to plan shore excursions! 

Last May it started at 3pm - it will be listed in the Patter. It lasted for about 45 minutes, but this will vary. There's a brief presentation by the musher/racer before the puppy cuddling begins. 

Yes, you stand in line. There are Princess photographers taking photos and you can take your own photos if you wish. They only let you stay for a couple of minutes (likely there will be a big crowd), but there is nothing stopping you from getting back in line for another cuddle (that's what I did!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aalonzo2019 said:

Hello,

we we will be cruising on the Ruby princess in May 2019 to Alaska. I know that during the Skagway stop there are puppies brought on board. For those of you who have done this cruise I have a few questions. What time more or less do the puppies arrive/leave? To get a picture do you stand in line? Does everyone in line get a picture even if the lines very long? Sorry for all the questions trying to plan shore excursions! 

A quick search found a recent thread. (Star) to give you an idea of others experience.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2629248-star-alaska-19-puppies-in-the-piazza/?tab=comments#comment-56671195

We had them on Emerald in Juneau;  they were onboard for about an hour.  They brought four puppies onboard .  You get in line and have picture taken.

Edited by AF-1

On the Grand in September, they had the puppies at Skagway.  A huge crowd starts to gather well before showtime. 

TIP: The line for us began forming to the left as you face the staging area (toward the Vines side, not the International Cafe side).  YMMV of course, but it may help to know that if you need to be someplace else too.  It's not terribly well organized.  Just keep in mind that there are PUPPIES and CUTENESS and maintain a good attitude.

AST_6488.jpg

• Like 1

Ryan Redington, whose Grandpa started Iditarod, or one of his kennel members brings puppies on board on every ship in Skagway....Obviously the times will be different depending on how many ships are docked there...and also not to be missed in Libby Riddles, first woman to win Iditarod.  She goes on every Princess ship in Juneau.  She is a wonderful speaker and well worth being on board to listen to her and to watch her films..Lib is a good friend, as is Ryan, and neither one of them should be missed.

9 hours ago, laughing husky said:

Ryan Redington, whose Grandpa started Iditarod, or one of his kennel members brings puppies on board on every ship in Skagway....Obviously the times will be different depending on how many ships are docked there...and also not to be missed in Libby Riddles, first woman to win Iditarod.  She goes on every Princess ship in Juneau.  She is a wonderful speaker and well worth being on board to listen to her and to watch her films..Lib is a good friend, as is Ryan, and neither one of them should be missed.

Last summer we arrived back to the ship as the puppies (in their kennels) were disembarking and the handlers stopped to let us ooh and aah. 

I second the recommendation not to miss Libby Riddles' presentation.  She set up a table with copies of her books and answered lots of questions about 45 minutes early outside the Princess theater.  She was accompanied by one of her retired dogs who was very laid back and loved being pet.  We were very impressed with Libby and the dog.

Edited by capriccio

On 2/26/2019 at 4:16 PM, Dani24 said:

Does anyone know if this is only in Skagway? Or do they also offer this if you stop in Haines instead?

Your question got me curious, so I looked around on princess.com. Can't find anything about the puppies in a Haines sailing. I'd call Princess and ask if I were you.

When we were in Skagway last May, people had already staked out all the available seating around where the puppies were going to be by lunch time. I guess they sat there all day. So, if you want a ringside seat, better get there early.