Which airport is closer to NCL's Los Angeles Port?

10 minutes ago, Teacherloves2Cruise said:

however availability is greater out of LAX.

Isn't that the truth!  I just checked for flights from my home airport to LGB and found that every one has multiple connections (as many as THREE!).

I just looked at Google Maps, traveling right now, it shows about the same time from either airport with LAX actually being slightly shorter.  Travel time of approx. 30 minutes.

8 minutes ago, hallux said:

Isn't that the truth!  I just checked for flights from my home airport to LGB and found that every one has multiple connections (as many as THREE!).

I just looked at Google Maps, traveling right now, it shows about the same time from either airport with LAX actually being slightly shorter.  Travel time of approx. 30 minutes.

Thank you, looks like I'll be flying into LAX!

I was advised by NCL to allow 45 mins to an hour for LAX travel.

13 minutes ago, hallux said:

Even though travel time is about the same, Long Beach Airport is way faster because of the reduced time required to get a shuttle or rental car.  Also Uber doesn't suffer the same surge charges at LGB as they do at LAX.

Reference map image LINK:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8167729,-118.0867894,11z

Long Beach is left centered (NCL is next door at San Pedro)

Using Interstate Highway 405 -

LAX - Los Angeles airport is in the upper left corner

LGB - Long Beach is just north of Signal Hill

SNA - Santa Ana Orange County (John Wayne) is west of Irvine right lower corner

The map/image is zoomable for better detail

Thus LGB is the closest but the problem with LGB airport is no flights of any distance (think east of Mississippi River)

which brings up the connection issue - connections are time wasting travel prone to misconnection snafu.

There are other airports but have time inhibiting factors:

SAN - San Diego 90 miles south a two hour ride with flights to some east coast cities

ONT - San Bernardino Ontario 40 miles east and like LGB only short hop flights

BUR - Bob Hope Burbank Airport some 40 miles away and very limited travel options

While LAX is a very heavy traffic airport it can't be beat for number of flights and destinations.

The transportation - NCL and private transfer service is perhaps the best to consider post-cruise.

It is somewhat stressful so allow some time and go with the flow - try not to end your travel on a bad note

rushing time and things - leave Mission Impossible to Hollywood.

17 hours ago, quercus alba said:

What about SNA? Anyone travel through Orange County instead?

We have.  Yes, it might be a bit farther away but nowhere the mess of LAX.  Very uncrowded airport.

Edited by dexddd

18 hours ago, CaribbeanforChristmas said:

I am cruising on NCL's Bliss out of Port of Los Angeles, CA - Which airport is closer?

Thank you !

Long Beach is by far the closest and a very small airport: easy to fly in  and out of, but yes, it is small so many air lines do not fly to Long Beach or if they do, it means changing planes depending on where you are coming from. LAX as you can imagine is a huge airport and to be honest, even though I was born and raised in L.A one of the worst airports ever. 

2 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Long Beach is by far the closest and a very small airport: easy to fly in  and out of, but yes, it is small so many air lines do not fly to Long Beach or if they do, it means changing planes depending on where you are coming from. LAX as you can imagine is a huge airport and to be honest, even though I was born and raised in L.A one of the worst airports ever. 

I grew up in L.A.  Was an air traffic controller in Los Angeles, serving LAX, LGB, SNA, and all the others.  LAX is horrible...but airline convenient.  

50 minutes ago, roger001 said:

I grew up in L.A.  Was an air traffic controller in Los Angeles, serving LAX, LGB, SNA, and all the others.  LAX is horrible...but airline convenient.  

Roger, did you work in RADAR? I grew up in the area too, my step father worked for AAL in the 60's. Had a cousin who worked in Arkansas that came to LA and took us kids to the LAX TWR looked like this....           .... https://waterandpower.org/museum/Aviation_in_Early_LA_(Page_3).html..the photo is down the page quite a ways 

Edited by CVA34
additional info

5 minutes ago, CVA34 said:

Roger, did you work in RADAR? I grew up in the area too, my step father worked for AAL in the 60's. Had a cousin who worked in Arkansas that came to LA and took us kids to the LAX TWR it looked like this..... https://waterandpower.org/museum/Aviation_in_Early_LA_(Page_3).html

I covered all the bases actually.  I worked all the radar sectors providing radar ATC to all airports in the greater L.A. area.   I then worked at LGB, both the radar and tower, when it was at the time 4th busiest airport in the country.  Did some other places including the radar facility at Chicago O'Hare when it was the world's busiest.  Retired to Nashville where I was a supervisor/staff/manager type person.  My FAA time was '68 to '90 with USAF before that.  I'd rather be cruising though!  

10 minutes ago, CVA34 said:

My FAA time was 1974-2010 with a 16 yr break from 1981-1997. NAVY 1966-1970. Great careers. Thanks for your service. We are planning a cruise next Feb partial canal 12 days.

I was suspecting CVA34  was Navy reference.  My brother-in-law was a retired Navy E9 and always kept me aware of Navy stuff....always explaining how much better it was than USAF stuff.  :classic_laugh:   We've done the complete PC twice.  Fascinating.   I do recommend the book The Path Between the Seas as excellent reading to prepare you for what your will be experiencing.   And correction.  My FAA time was '68 to 2002.   Must have slept during those forgotten years.  And...thanks for your service!