CocoCay Pier Status

The pier is not close to complete.  New features are supposed to start coming online in May, over 6 months behind original schedule.  I don't anticipate many of them operating by May.  Royal will have a big mess if pier and (some) amenities not ready for summer season by June. 

We were there on February 20th. Very unlikely pier will be ready by May. The pier is about 3/4 finished. Looks like a great deal of work to be done. Doubtful on many new features too.

We were there a few weeks ago, dock is not ready nor many of the attractions. It will be  awhile before it's complete.  However the beach area is nice and and lunch was good as well. 

19 hours ago, cruznwithmom said:

we got an email last month that we will be tendering there on our march 22 cruise. disappointed.

If it will not be done in March and they KNOW this NOW, they really should update their website with the best estimate, not some overly optimistic estimate like they have out there now.

Or maybe that helps bookings, some chose one itinerary over another b/c Coco Cay will have a pier and some upgrades........... but too late to change b/c keep shifting the dates after final payment.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/when-does-perfect-day-at-cococay-open

• The new pier will begin welcoming guests to the island in March 2019.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cruznwithmom said:

We were disappointed when we go the email. We picked this trip because we expected to be able to dock at the pier. 

Marketing gives them incentives to give estimated deadlines they can't really make.  Baited you in with the pier versus competitor sailings when comparing and deciding and then too late to change to another ship b/c way after final sail.  I guess another thing good for shareholders.

3 minutes ago, SAmome said:

Marketing gives them incentives to give estimated deadlines they can't really make.  Baited you in with the pier versus competitor sailings when comparing and deciding and then too late to change to another ship b/c way after final sail.  I guess another thing good for shareholders.

If you have ever as an individual done construction, you know of the pitfalls and delays.....add to this the enormity of the project and ANY ONE expecting this to be ON TIME, was fooling themselves.  As a cruiser, I would never have booked a cruise with the expectation of the pier being completed.   Just like I will never book a cruise immediately following a refurb/drydock or for the initial sailings of a new ship....too much can go wrong to ruin my vacation.

10 hours ago, cruznwithmom said:

We were disappointed when we go the email. We picked this trip because we expected to be able to dock at the pier. 

Sharin in your disappointment. Was super excited to be a part of something fresh & new. Our cruise sails on March 11th and we are now not even going to Coco Cay. Itinerary change was noticed almost 24 hours ago, still no official email from RC. Contacted RC yesterday and they confirmed the change was correct and that I should get an email in a few days. I started to say, we sail in a few days! First cruise and already facing disappointment. I sure hope & pray that things work out for the best. I keep searching for the positives of now having to pay to get to a beach vs being able to walk or even tender to a private island.

1 hour ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

They've been talking completion in May (or even June) for some time now...

It could be May or June of 2020....we were there in November....and there was no way it was anywhere close to reaching a mid 2019 finish line from our perspective.  When CocoCay is on our itinerary....if we get there it is good, if not, it is good....we are cruising after all and not at home.  It just is something we have no control over.   We probably have had a 60% rate of getting there, historically.

Edited by Paulette3028
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SRF said:

The pier was supposedly due to be completed last September.

1)  Construction projects have delays.

2)  It is an project on "island time"  😄

Yup - and the updated finish estimate was April-May 2019.  We'll see if everything is done then. Luckily...we're not going until November.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SRF said:

The pier was supposedly due to be completed last September.

1)  Construction projects have delays.

2)  It is an project on "island time"  😄

So so right....when we were there in November, people were noticing that ONE person was actually working on the pier.  Then a second came along....but never a 'crew of workers'....and we were there on a midweek sailing, not just a weekender.

• Like 1

We are cruising in June. I booked this cruise specifically for the itinerary.  They are still selling excursions for the waterslides, helium balloon rides and so on. From what I am hearing, if the pier is not done, we won’t even be going to the island as our ship is not able to tender. If they know there is no chance of this being done on time, why are they still offering these excursions and making people think that this will be done at  ? I just can’t believe that Royal  would be advertising and selling these excursions with no hopes of it happening. This would be a really bad PR move on their part and cause a lot of unhappy cruisers. I sure hope this isn’t true. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SportsFanatic said:

I just can’t believe that Royal  would be advertising and selling these excursions with no hopes of it happening. 

Why? RCI does this with charters - selling cabins when they are pretty sure they will be cancelled later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

They've been talking completion in May (or even June) for some time now...

That's not what was posted on Royal Caribbean Blog in summer 2018. I wish I would have taken a screen shot. I knew that RC Blog was not RC itself, but after following their blog and seeing review info consistent with what they shared, I trusted their info and took a chance- now I know better. I was excited to find Grand Bahama Island has some interesting things to offer, they are just far from port and from what I've read so far it clearly is not a comperable to Coco Cay. I just think it is crazy that RC still has not sent out official change of itinerary notice. We are exactly 7 days out now. I am an optimistic person and will make the best of any situation- but anyone who reads these posts knows that the majority of invested (committed) cruisers can be more pesimistic, or as hubbs likes to call himself- a "realist" (ha). 

9 minutes ago, smartwater01 said:

We are exactly 7 days out now. I am an optimistic person and will make the best of any situation- but anyone who reads these posts knows that the majority of invested (committed) cruisers can be more pesimistic, or as hubbs likes to call himself- a "realist" (ha). 

We got information when we booked last month (from Royal) that April-May was the most current completion target.  There's a thread that shows photos of the progress, and it seems to coincide with that timeline. Definitely not going to be ready in 7 days.