CocoCay Pier Status

And, I'd like to reiterate that we were at least still GOING to Coco Cay. Pier complete or not, we are not going at all now- and RC is yet to officially address this change to the sum odd 3,000 passengers who will cruise on the Mariner in 7 days. Just makes me, a 1st timer, skeptical and reduces my trust in the brand. I truly hope my opinions change- I really am a positive thinker and hope to be able to post nothing but positivity on this site at the conclusion of our cruise. 

53 minutes ago, smartwater01 said:

That's not what was posted on Royal Caribbean Blog in summer 2018. I wish I would have taken a screen shot. I knew that RC Blog was not RC itself, but after following their blog and seeing review info consistent with what they shared, I trusted their info and took a chance- now I know better. I was excited to find Grand Bahama Island has some interesting things to offer, they are just far from port and from what I've read so far it clearly is not a comperable to Coco Cay. I just think it is crazy that RC still has not sent out official change of itinerary notice. We are exactly 7 days out now. I am an optimistic person and will make the best of any situation- but anyone who reads these posts knows that the majority of invested (committed) cruisers can be more pesimistic, or as hubbs likes to call himself- a "realist" (ha). 

The state department has issued warnings about the Bahamas, it surely will not be as safe as coco cay.  Specifically mentioned that it is not safe to rent jet skis from locals (one of the activities we are looking to at coco cay because it will be safe to do there)How did you find out you won't be going? My cruise planner for a March 22 cruise still shows it, wondering if I will get a change notice.  Since I booked through a TA they may send it to her, and she will be out of town next week. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruznwithmom said:

The state department has issued warnings about the Bahamas, it surely will not be as safe as coco cay.  Specifically mentioned that it is not safe to rent jet skis from locals (one of the activities we are looking to at coco cay because it will be safe to do there)How did you find out you won't be going? My cruise planner for a March 22 cruise still shows it, wondering if I will get a change notice.  Since I booked through a TA they may send it to her, and she will be out of town next week. 

That warning has since been rescinded. Apparently the local government took some steps and assure all cruise lines any issues would be corrected immediately.

https://cruiseradio.net/cruise-line-drops-warning-about-crime-in-nassau/

13 hours ago, Paulette3028 said:

If you have ever as an individual done construction, you know of the pitfalls and delays.....add to this the enormity of the project and ANY ONE expecting this to be ON TIME, was fooling themselves.  As a cruiser, I would never have booked a cruise with the expectation of the pier being completed.   Just like I will never book a cruise immediately following a refurb/drydock or for the initial sailings of a new ship....too much can go wrong to ruin my vacation.

We did not know that the ship would be coming out of dry dock, they don't tell you this when you book. I was on the 2nd sailing for Viking Orion and while there were some small issues (coffee makers not yet installed in rooms, staff confused that Americans want COLD water in 90 degree heat) I found that to be very pleasant and the ship to be so beautifully clean that it was well worth it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

That warning has since been rescinded. Apparently the local government took some steps and assure all cruise lines any issues would be corrected immediately.

https://cruiseradio.net/cruise-line-drops-warning-about-crime-in-nassau/

I was referring to the State Department issued report you can find here. It has NOT be rescinded.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/the-bahamas-travel-advisory.html

30 minutes ago, smartwater01 said:

And, I'd like to reiterate that we were at least still GOING to Coco Cay. Pier complete or not, we are not going at all now- and RC is yet to officially address this change to the sum odd 3,000 passengers who will cruise on the Mariner in 7 days. Just makes me, a 1st timer, skeptical and reduces my trust in the brand. I truly hope my opinions change- I really am a positive thinker and hope to be able to post nothing but positivity on this site at the conclusion of our cruise. 

Unfortunately, any bookings on any cruise lines with new destinations run the risk that they may or may not be ready when originally planned.  That's a lesson learned from seasoned travelers all over the world. It is disappointing indeed, but no different than the recent on-and-off issues with Cozumel or Cancun as a dangerous destination. Those are different circumstances than CocoCay (which is construction delay-based), but even weather issues can impact things routinely on any such project.

• Like 1

Just now, cruznwithmom said:

I was referring to the State Department issued report you can find here. It has NOT be rescinded.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/the-bahamas-travel-advisory.html

So the on-again-off-again warnings are on again...not all that surprised. Nassau has not been that great a destination for years actually...unless you plan to hang near the general port area and avoid the city.

• Like 1

I think the issue is that weather, political climate, facilities in foreign ports are out of the cruise line control, but Coco Cay is in the control of Royal. They knew well ahead of time that they were not going to be done but are waiting until the last minute to tell the customers, and then booking less desirable ports instead 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

So the on-again-off-again warnings are on again...not all that surprised. Nassau has not been that great a destination for years actually...unless you plan to hang near the general port area and avoid the city.

and this is exactly the appeal of Coco Cay.  You are on a private island and the cruise company can control the access to keep the island safe,  no drug dealers approaching you on the beach etc. This is why it not being ready, and ships being rerouted is a big deal.

• Like 1

Just now, cruznwithmom said:

and this is exactly the appeal of Coco Cay.  You are on a private island and the cruise company can control the access to keep the island safe,  no drug dealers approaching you on the beach etc. This is why it not being ready, and ships being rerouted is a big deal.

No debate there on your points.  But again...folks should not be surprised at Caribbean destination construction projects being delayed or past-schedule. It happens frequently, and not just with one cruise line.

That's why we booked in November instead of anything before June 1 2019 anyway...not to mention we don't ever cruise the Caribbean from June 1 - Nov 1 due to hurricane season. Missing out on a cruise booked 9-12 months in advance due to a storm would be a costly and frustrating disappointment. We also get travel insurance for those same reasons.

• Like 1

I'm certainly no marketing genius but, if it were me, I would have advertised the opening date as May 2020. Told the construction company the completion date needed to be Jan 1 2019. Then everyone would be elated with an early opening date. I would never have a completion date that I was not 110% sure was going to be obtainable! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RazorbackIslandGirl said:

I'm certainly no marketing genius but, if it were me, I would have advertised the opening date as May 2020. Told the construction company the completion date needed to be Jan 1 2019. Then everyone would be elated with an early opening date. I would never have a completion date that I was not 110% sure was going to be obtainable! 

This is the most current Royal Caribbean Cruise Brochure - it's been out for a while. Note the date in the lower right corner.

The original 2018 date got pushed back and was announced some time ago. It's not new information

2019_2020_Royal Brochure.jpg

48 minutes ago, RazorbackIslandGirl said:

Amen! I agree and appreciate hearing tips from experienced cruisers. You live, you learn. @cruznwithmom found out by logging onto planner - I was going to check the price for cabana on Coco Cay 😕. Contacted RC who confirmed the change. The app also updated shortly after I saw the change from desktop site. Still, no email. I may be a bit peeved that RC hasn't contacted us yet. I mean really, I have had AMAZING customer service thus far. I just doubt that all the Mariner's passengers for my cruise are aware yet if notification hasn't been sent out via email. Is it normal for RC to wait so long to notify passengers of changes? -> goes to look for that post 😂

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, smartwater01 said:

Amen! I agree and appreciate hearing tips from experienced cruisers. You live, you learn. @cruznwithmom found out by logging onto planner - I was going to check the price for cabana on Coco Cay 😕. Contacted RC who confirmed the change. The app also updated shortly after I saw the change from desktop site. Still, no email. I may be a bit peeved that RC hasn't contacted us yet. I mean really, I have had AMAZING customer service thus far. I just doubt that all the Mariner's passengers for my cruise are aware yet if notification hasn't been sent out via email. Is it normal for RC to wait so long to notify passengers of changes? -> goes to look for that post 😂

Royal is famous for not sending emails directly to Cruisers. I booked directly threw them so I should get directly, but Travel Agent if booked threw them have got alerts and never passed on changes/info to Cruisers. Some not all... But changes in Ports is more common then most realize, I've missed dozens over the years Weather being a main issue missing one or all Ports. Other reason's have been too many ships in Port, Mechanical, Island Crime and even War on Labadee. Most are Medical causing missed Port, Late Port, changed Port, had to speed up and even return to last one. Had a couple Helo-Basket removals. Resent Cruise had 3 Medical Emergencies... Delay in Coco Cay has been out for yr now. Missed Ports due to Weather are Common on her, usually in Winter months, or when Passengers were stuck over nite when winds kicked up. But even with Pier complete winds could still cause missed Port... The Drone fly over posted on here last week was great update on how much has been done.

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Thanks 1

I just hope the pier is finished by our Sept. 7th date.  And maybe the Lagoon.  That's really all I care about.  It was fabulous just as it was the last time we went.  But the pier would guarantee a lot more visits.  Hopefully, if not by May then 3 months later not too much to ask...

7 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Why? RCI does this with charters - selling cabins when they are pretty sure they will be cancelled later.

They should not be taking money for  booking of the water park and other such items upfront when there’s a possibility they’re not even going to be able to complete.   Don’t even know why you should have to pay upfront, Specially when this is on their own island   Not sure how all other cruise lines works but Disney for example does not make you pay for the excursions upfront. Sucks 

27 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

One of 7 CocoCay threads....perhaps we'll see a merge soon.  It appears some folks are simply starting a new thread on one question, rather than looking for the existing topic first...

Mods may be overwhelmed- par for the course at folks not searching before posting. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SportsFanatic said:

They should not be taking money for  booking of the water park and other such items upfront when there’s a possibility they’re not even going to be able to complete.  

As I mentioned, that’s just the way RCI does it. 

On 3/3/2019 at 8:53 AM, smartwater01 said:

That's not what was posted on Royal Caribbean Blog in summer 2018. I wish I would have taken a screen shot. 

Last summer, RCI was saying SEPTEMBER completion of the pier.

Even on our August cruise, this was the official work, but one look when we arrived, it was clear it was more than a month away from completion.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dddangerousdan said:

Someone on the Anthem FB page posted the Captain said that this was the last time they would be tendered.  The next visit the pier would be open.  Can anyone confirm this?

This might be true, as the Anthem will not be sailing the Caribbean and making a stop at Coco Cay until November 5th 2019. The summer sailings on Anthem stop at Labadee.

5 hours ago, SRF said:

Last summer, RCI was saying SEPTEMBER completion of the pier.

Even on our August cruise, this was the official work, but one look when we arrived, it was clear it was more than a month away from completion.

We were there last week, and the pier doesn't look anywhere NEAR finished.

• Thanks 1