CocoCay Pier Status

2 hours ago, Floridadude said:

This might be true, as the Anthem will not be sailing the Caribbean and making a stop at Coco Cay until November 5th 2019. The summer sailings on Anthem stop at Labadee.

Ummm no.  We are going to be there on March 19.  They are not letting ships there from the 10 - 13 march. 

On 3/3/2019 at 9:12 AM, RazorbackIslandGirl said:

I'm certainly no marketing genius but, if it were me, I would have advertised the opening date as May 2020. Told the construction company the completion date needed to be Jan 1 2019. Then everyone would be elated with an early opening date. I would never have a completion date that I was not 110% sure was going to be obtainable! 

Clearly. Because then you would have missed out on marketing a complete Perfect Day experience for those sailings when it was actually finished.

Prices on Perfect Day sailings are significantly more expensive than others, and that’s not taking into account the additional revenue from water parks, cabanas, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dddangerousdan said:

Ummm no.  We are going to be there on March 19.  They are not letting ships there from the 10 - 13 march. 

How did you find this out? Just curious. Still no e-mail. Emails about buying excursions and packages, but no - hey, by the way- no private island for you. 🤣😋 Just curious if I missed a memo? Best of luck to future sailings to Coco Cay. I have my fingers (& toes) crossed for you! 

On 3/2/2019 at 8:00 PM, Paulette3028 said:

If you have ever as an individual done construction, you know of the pitfalls and delays.....add to this the enormity of the project and ANY ONE expecting this to be ON TIME, was fooling themselves.  As a cruiser, I would never have booked a cruise with the expectation of the pier being completed.   

When was the original estimate of the pier completion?  They are a big company that hasn't had any recent hurricanes go over Coco Cay while working on it. 

I get the first cruise after refurb not expecting everything to be done but I expect a company to have a better estimate on pier completion when they are marketing for that; barring a diaster that wipes out half of the pier during construction.

I don't recall exactly but want to say the estimate was some time in 2018 for pier to be done.  So if booking an early May cruise or late April, seems like more than enough cushion.  

Water parks and safety inspections etc I can see having issues with accurate estimates but pier should be more on target.

• Like 2

We were on Coco Cay on Saturday and they are making fast progress on the pier. They appear to be putting the last concrete sections on the end of the very long pier. The footing got the foot bridge is done on the pier side and the had the form completed on the island side. I think it’s plausible that they could have the pier done by the end of May. They were putting roofs on buildings and landscaping was in in several areas. And there was lots of work going on on a Saturday. 

• Like 2

On 3/3/2019 at 9:15 AM, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Info the very last line in this recent Press Release...May continues to be the target ready-date.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/20446-navigator-of-the-seas-arrives-in-miami-following-huge-refit.html

Yes, they have updated many items to say May or Dec completion dates but the left MARCH (still showing) as the pier completion date so there was NO reason from RCCL not to believe that the second pushback wouldn't be the "good" estimate. 

They still have until the 31st but if they know good and well the PIER won't be done then they should put it in WRITING on the RCCL website instead of expecting customers to read elsewhere which SHOULD be second in accuracy to their own website info.

If RCCL still says March and captains and everyone else says MAY, there is something wrong.  Hopefully the others are just pessimistic and RCCL is not hiding the truth for the sake of April and May bookings.............

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/when-does-perfect-day-at-cococay-open

New attractions and experiences at Perfect Day at CocoCay will open in phases, with the full completion planned for December 2019. Please find the opening dates below.

• The new pier will begin welcoming guests to the island in March 2019.
  • Thrill Waterpark, the Zip Line, Splashaway Bay aqua park, Up, Up and Away helium balloon, Captain Jack’s Galleon, Skipper’s Grill dining, Captain Jack’s dining, Chill Island, Chill Grill dining, and Oasis Lagoon freshwater pool will open in May 2019.
  • South Beach, Coco Beach Club and the overwater cabanas will open in December 2019.
  • Like 1

We were at Coco Cay in November and again 3 weeks ago. The progress of Construction on the pier was significant. it was at least twice as long as it was in November and well over halfway completed. Island construction was also moving along. Buildings and water attractions could be seen that were not visible 3 months earlier. The activity level was also noticeable.

This is no guarantee that they will hit the May 2019 dates, but it was an encouraging sign.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This will be the lagoon, where the tenders currently head out to sea will have an overpass or walkway in place.  As you can see, that’s far from happening and as long as they keep tendering, it will delay progress.

The pier is missing about 3 to 4 segments and not all of the supporting pylons are in place.  There’s a barge that’s moved around to complete this work.

4495671C-749F-46F4-9B52-569BD92EB398.jpeg

BBF8A032-F759-4F0A-A25A-8C56E90700B8.jpeg

0169E869-761C-40CE-A1D6-89B5B630AC88.jpeg

• Like 3

My best guess is that the pier will be pretty close to done or done by May.  The rest of the attractions will be hit or miss, again, a guess.  The pace of construction in the Bahamas is much slower, saw a lot of guys standing around.

There’s also the weather factor, pouring concrete takes time and requires preparation.

Edited by Mr305
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mooseman52b said:

This is no guarantee that they will hit the May 2019 dates, but it was an encouraging sign.

Are May dates anywhere official from RCCL for the pier?  As of tonight I still see March in FAQ on RCCL site but maybe there is another spot.

9 minutes ago, smartwater01 said:

@SAmome May is what is advertised in the tv commercials as when park will be open, at least in my south eastern area of the states. 

May has been the target for some time... bottom right on the most recent Royal brochure...issued a few months ago.

2019_2020_Royal Brochure.jpg

13 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

May has been the target for some time... bottom right on the most recent Royal brochure...issued a few months ago.

2019_2020_Royal Brochure.jpg

Yes, thanks @Cruisefan001 I remember you pointing this before. I was responding to @SAmome 's question, since no one else had at the time I read it. It must be nice to have the brochure, is that on RC's site for download?

Thanks everyone, I understand the May target for selling "Perfect Day" and the website does show which parts they expect done in May versus December. 

But the Pier per RCCL is still showing March in "from RCCL" cruise news FAQ as far as I can see.  Perhaps they think there is a shot it will be open at the end of the month. 

If the rumors are true, per captains and such that MAY is the new estimate, I just think it should be on the website for those considering booking an April cruise.  They might be deciding between Sky and Mariner and be disappointed to find out can't dock if used that as a "plus" for the Mariner.  It's less than honest to leave March up there IF they no longer think it's true.

• Like 1

Here is the latest information in detail about Coco Cay (from the Royal website):

• The new pier will begin welcoming guests to the island in March 2019.
  • Thrill Waterpark, the Zip Line, Splashaway Bay aqua park, Up, Up and Away helium balloon, Captain Jack’s Galleon, Skipper’s Grill dining, Captain Jack’s dining, Chill Island, Chill Grill dining, and Oasis Lagoon freshwater pool will open in May 2019.
  • South Beach, Coco Beach Club and the overwater cabanas will open in December 2019.

Please note that these dates might be subject to change depending on the progress of construction.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/when-does-perfect-day-at-cococay-open

• Like 1

Putting together some of the tidbits one this site and others..

For passengers to get from the new pier to the currently open beach areas, it looks like they will need to cross a bridge from the pier side of the lagoon to the existing beach side. In order to build this bridge, I’m guessing tenders won’t be able to run into the lagoon. So, they need to cancel trips to the island for a few days in March in order to build that bridge, so that they can start using the pier?

This makes the cancellation of trips mid-March, plus the Anthem captain’s comment that it was their last tender (Anthem is on 12 night no Cococay itinerary until the 15th), plus the idea of the pier being open for late March all line up. 

I believe someone also posted pics of the bridge footings being ready?

Thoughts?

16 hours ago, dddangerousdan said:

We are also going in end of March.

No information of any changes (yet).

48 minutes ago, justgimeasec said:

I believe someone also posted pics of the bridge footings being ready?

Thoughts?

Clearly the construction is "working its way from the ship's pier towards the opposite (South) side of the island", which is why the South Beach, Coco Beach Club and the overwater cabanas area is last (December). Just about everything else should be operational in May.  As for March...others onsite have indicated they'll report the progress - the ship's pier in particular.

Does anyone know if Bungalows are going to be offered in two locations, or will be moving from where they are now over to South Beach in December?

I think they are in the "chill island" area now (not certain) and Bungalows were somewhere mentioned as available in South Beach (not open until Dec).