Speaking of Rain....

We are booked on an eastern itinerary this Halloween. This will be the first time for us cruising that time of  year.  One of our stops is Dominican Republic.  I work with a woman from there and she says we are making a big mistake because it rains from September to November.  I know this is hurricane season, but I'm counting on if there are no hurricanes, there shouldn't be more than normal rain chances.  What is everyone's experience cruising during these months, hurricanes aside.

We were there for a land vaca this past year, second week of October. One day was rainey out of 7, and there were rain squalls two or three other afternoons that passed within an hour or so. Certainly wasnt 'raining all the time' by any means.

• Like 1

I've cruised the Caribbean a handful of times during Hurricane season/Halloween including an 8 Day on the Breeze that went to DR. We've never had more rain during this time than any other time we've cruised. If it did rain, it would clear up within 20-30 minutes and be a beautiful day. That's just our experience and maybe we've been luckier than most...but I think you should be fine! 

• Like 2

Most of my voyages have been during hurricane season.  I like the lower prices.  I have had my itinerary  switch from eastern to western, western to eastern,  got "stuck" almost an extra full week out to sea due to hurricane Irma,  got "stuck" on an island excursion due to unpredicted torrential downpours making it impossible to tender back to the ship until it stopped (a few extra hours) , missed Half Moon multiple times due to choppy waters, to name just a few hurricane season predicaments.

Given the choice, I would not have changed a thing.  I paid much lower pricing, saw sunsets and sunrises that almost made me cry, wobbled on the Lido, overindulged in warm chocolate melting cake, baked in the sun, relaxed in the hot tubs, watched Dive In movies under warm evening skies, swam in far away oceans, chilled out in a Serenity deck clam shell with just me, myself and I, refused my hair getting braided more times than I can count, met people from all over the planet, you get the jist.  It can rain at any time of the year.  

If I avoid any particular time of the year to cruise, its Jan-March.  Just way too much unpredictable weather in the north east to fly!

• Like 2

I haven't lived in these islands for too long: only 68 years or so...

All the above descriptions of Caribbean weather in Wet Season (July to December)

sound accurate, fair and balanced, given my brief experience.

Fret not thy little head - it is what it is

and it usually isn't anywhere near as bad as people think!

• Like 1

Whenever we cruise I pack a mid-sized foldable umbrella for each of us.  We can stick them in our back pocket or the day bag between showers.

I also keep a couple of those Dollar Store $1 raincoats/ponchos packed in our suitcases.  If it looks like rain all day or it's really windy we throw those in our day bag. 👜🌂

• Like 2

We went to Roatan during rainy season.  It poured most of the day.  We didn't get to do much.  It was rain that hurt and we had little kids.  

Rainy season in Roatan is between October and January each year. The heaviest rainfalls occur during November and December, with more random northerly storms typically hitting the island in January and February.

16 hours ago, brookeq said:

We went to Roatan during rainy season.  It poured most of the day. 

We didn't get to do much.  It was rain that hurt and we had little kids. 

That sounds like a Tropical Wave passing thru.

When that happens, it will rain for the whole day, maybe the night too!

You learn to endure these little events, they're what feed the rain forests

so we can have trees -and Oxygen too.

Stay on board - try for a baby lol - eat food, relaaax.

Tomorrow will most likely be sunny again.

If this person can predict the weather that far in advance, I would ask them to give you the winning lottery numbers.  All joking aside, I always cruise during hurricane season.  Always cruise the Caribbean.  Have we run into rain, yes, but nothing that would ruin our vacation.  Did it rain every day, no.  It's normal to rain in the Caribbean, and in the southern US, that time of year (especially Florida).  Weather is unpredictable.  If there is a storm, the captain will steer around it.  Don't worry about it.  Just go and enjoy!