On your own from Seward to Anchorage

quandrea

Can we do a tour on our own with a car rental?  We’d have two, maybe three nights following our northbound cruise. Thinking the scenic drive from Seward to Anchorage. On to Denali after overnight in Anchorage. One night in Denali and then on to Anchorage for our flight home. 

Does that make sense?

Or am I better off exploring Seward with the fjords, Resurrection Bay, etc and then on to Anchorage for flight home and omit Denali?

We are a family of five with kids, 9, 9 and 14. 

1 hour ago, quandrea said:

Can we do a tour on our own with a car rental?  We’d have two, maybe three nights following our northbound cruise. Thinking the scenic drive from Seward to Anchorage. On to Denali after overnight in Anchorage. One night in Denali and then on to Anchorage for our flight home. 

Does that make sense?

Or am I better off exploring Seward with the fjords, Resurrection Bay, etc and then on to Anchorage for flight home and omit Denali?

We are a family of five with kids, 9, 9 and 14. 

If you could squeeze one more night in that would be helpful.  If you're planning on doing a Denali tour of some sort you'll need a full day there.  Two nights and one full day at Denali would be a minimum in my opinion so that  you're not rushed.  The drive from Anchorage to the Denali area and back is longer than you might thing.  You will most likely see plenty of things to  stop and take pictures of and such.  You might want to factor in possible road construction or a wreck having traffic backed up.  I would allow at least twice as much time as Google Maps will indicate for driving.  From Seward to Anchorage, allow at least 4-5 hours.  Anchorage to the Denali area is about 250 miles - allow about 8 hours each way.  Otherwise you will have a fantastic time.  I recomend doing this on your own rather than taking an included tour at the end of a cruise.  Good luck!

Though Denali is beautiful, its not to be rushed and taking a tour into the park would serve your best viewing.  I would like to suggest based on the age of kids in the family is to explore around Anchorage.  Some of the interesting roadside trips the kids might enjoy is panning for gold outside of Girdwood,  biking the coastal trail in Anchorage,  visiting the Spirit Houses (Russian burial site in Eklutna).  There is a great creek turning towards Whittier with trails and you can see many salmon from the viewing decks (williwaw campground area).  Aleyaska resort in Girdwood is a must see too, along with the AK Wildlife center.  Grab your snacks, groceries or deli items from Fred Meyer in Anchorage.  Palmer Hatcher Pass is fantastic for vistas too.  You can reference TripAdvisor too.   Denali may be just too long of a drive (counting both ways) for not much change in the scenery.  Hint:  If you drive by the Airport in Anchorage  past the Fedex terminals  andon to  the coastal trail you are almost guaranteed to see a moose or two.. 

3 hours ago, quandrea said:

Can we do a tour on our own with a car rental?

Yes you can. And you should. If you have 3 nights and 4 full days you can do Denali, although it will be a lot of driving. Or there is plenty to do without going to Denali National Park.

Absolutely,  but you do not have time for Denali.   NOW-  get the car rental- easy to cancel if needed. They are in short supply  and  you'll need a larger one.    You won't need it in Seward.  so reserve  for when you're leaving.     On your leaving day-  you could drive to Exit Glacier.  No need for a costly transit prior.  

Plenty to see and do in Seward-    I don't recommend the bay tours,  since they don't go out far enough for my preferences.    www.seward.com   

Given the time frame in OP's post I don't suggest Denali.  But I also wonder if the kids would enjoy taking the train from Seward to Anchorage.  Also, would the kids enjoy a trek on Matunuska Glacier -- I am trying to remember if there is an age requirement.  

This subject pops up often and I've been wondering about the drive down to Homer through Soldotna and Clam Gulch as a suggestion. Would it be something to see for the OP? We were thinking about that drive since we have one free day while we're spending 2 in Girdwood - taking full day Prince William Sound cruise the other.

Edited by masterdrago

4 hours ago, masterdrago said:

This subject pops up often and I've been wondering about the drive down to Homer through Soldotna and Clam Gulch as a suggestion. Would it be something to see for the OP? We were thinking about that drive since we have one free day while we're spending 2 in Girdwood - taking full day Prince William Sound cruise the other.

Don't underestimate your drive times. Girdwood to Homer is 195 miles and Seward to Homer is a little less at 178 miles. But that'll be an easy 4 to 5 hours of driving, plus stops. So unless you overnight in Homer, you'd get there just in time to turn around and leave. And Homer is a beautiful spot, but getting there eats up a lot of time.

Thanks for the heads up. I looked a few months back at the mileage but had forgotten 195. I was just wondering what the trip looks like. The Ultimate Alaska Road Map does say much about that drive.  Mentions the China Poot Lake Trail in Kachemak Bay State Park, the Diamond Creek Trail, Grewingk Trail, & the Homestead Trail, Cooper Landing, and a bit about Homer. I've looked on some maps and it looks like it might be a pretty drive. We have the full day available and will have already made the Turnagain Arm - Whittier - Seward drive a couple of times. We'll also be taking a narrated bus tour from Anchorage to Seward the day ship departs. -- http://www.alaska.org/assets/content/related_items_pdfs/The-Ultimate-Alaska-Road-Map-Book.pdf

• Like 1

I drive the Turnagain Arm at least 4 times r/t each year for the past 20 years and still am amazed. It is the most scenic US highway. Just give yourself plenty of time and stop once in a while and absorb the scenery. Will be back up there in June for 6 weeks. Can't wait!!!

17 hours ago, masterdrago said:

Thanks for the heads up. I looked a few months back at the mileage but had forgotten 195. I was just wondering what the trip looks like. The Ultimate Alaska Road Map does say much about that drive.  Mentions the China Poot Lake Trail in Kachemak Bay State Park, the Diamond Creek Trail, Grewingk Trail, & the Homestead Trail, Cooper Landing, and a bit about Homer. I've looked on some maps and it looks like it might be a pretty drive. We have the full day available and will have already made the Turnagain Arm - Whittier - Seward drive a couple of times. We'll also be taking a narrated bus tour from Anchorage to Seward the day ship departs. -- http://www.alaska.org/assets/content/related_items_pdfs/The-Ultimate-Alaska-Road-Map-Book.pdf

Thanks for that link!

2 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

In my opinion Homer is a 2 night destination.     I would never consider only 1. 

Thanks. I was just thinking that with the extended daylight we'll have in May, that an early morning jaunt from Girdwood wood be a swell way to spend a long day taking in the drive to Homer and back. Just a thought since I had no idea what kind of delights might await the curious traveler. We have the whole day free due to changing the plans on when we return the car. We will have already spent time on Turnagain Arm, Whittier (cruising full day Prince William Sound), and Seward. Hoping to get opinions on the sights.

On 3/12/2019 at 3:23 PM, Northern Aurora said:

Given the time frame in OP's post I don't suggest Denali.  But I also wonder if the kids would enjoy taking the train from Seward to Anchorage.  Also, would the kids enjoy a trek on Matunuska Glacier -- I am trying to remember if there is an age requirement.  

The train is supposed to be stunning.  We have that booked the other way from Anchorage to Seward, and when we get in we are doing a tour with Major Marine, then spending the night and catching the Jewell southbound.

When I was planning our post cruise time I thought we would rent a car in Seward and drive to Anchorage. I found that the rental from Seward was VERY expensive! Now we are taking the train from Seward to Anchorage and then renting a car in Anchorage. The car in Anchorage was much more reasonable!