Less than one year since my first cruise and I'm already looking to take another!!

sblackman

TItle says it all, I think I am hooked on the cruise life. Last April the GF and I (Both 27 at the time) took a cruise in honor of my late mother who passed that previous December, she always told me to go on a nice vacation with what little she was able to leave for me so I did just that! We went on the Anthem leaving out of Bayonne NJ going to Port Canaveral FL, CocoCay, and Nassau before going back to Bayonne. We got a nice balcony room, ate and drank way too much, had too much fun and didnt have a worry in the world. Needless to say that we had an amazing time and was great to distress from life/work/reality. It was my first vacation and the first time ive treated myself to something that nice, I felt rested and it showed in my attitude/mentality .Almost a year later, as the cold months of winter drag on and work is on full blast I cant help to think about booking our second cruise.  However I have some questions/would like some feedback from CC! 

The last cruise I was on left from Bayonne NJ, I am a resident NJ'er and it was super convenient. What was not as fun was the 2 day journey to the warm weather on the ship (and the 2 days to get back), while the ship was amazing by itself I was yearning for more time in warm waters. I found myself wanting more time in the tropics, If I had to do it again I would leave from FL or TX right off the bat, allowing more time in tropical places. Anyone else from the NJ area fly to FL instead of leaving from Bayonne?  Arrive the day before or chance it with the same day arrival? I travel a ton for work so I have no problem getting up at 3am for a flight but the GF might have other things to say lol. Luckily I have enough miles to offset this cost. 

We seem to like the bigger ships as well, they are more updated with more activities aligned to what I would want to do on vacation. We are looking at the Oasis class ships this time around, not sure which one would be best (doubt their is a huge differences between generations). Is their an Oasis class ship that has a different vibes/tastes/things to do than what I did on the Anthem? Or are most of the restaurants/activities consistent between RCI ships? While I loved the Anthem I would like to stay away from a carbon copy for my next cruise. 

For those who are budget conscience, do you have any tips or tricks that you do to save your pennies for paying for a cruise? I have a jar where I keep my spare bills/change that is nearing the 500 dollar deposit, however the remainder is where I need the help/suggestions. We make decent money but the savings rate for "our normal fun" and the savings rate for "fun time on a cruise for next year" is enough to cause stress. While I could just dip into the savings and not worry about it id rather think of a cruise almost like a luxury purchase and properly allocate income towards it. But on the other hand im also thinking about just booking it and making a hard push to having it all paid off before the cruise, take it as a challenge. If not then pay the remainder of everything by card with a 0% offer or dip into savings. Curious how others consider cruises into their lives/budgets.  

I want to thank Cruise Critic a ton for helping me out along the way! I read for months leading up to the cruise about just about everything and I was still blown away by it all. Knowing what your getting into before you get aboard will help you a ton! Im so ready and excited for my next cruise =]!!!

Some banks have savings accounts that round up your purchases and put the cents in a savings account for you.  I know my bank has an account that puts $1 in a savings account for every $10 I spend on my debit card.  The money adds up faster than you think.

Also welcome to an awesome addiction.

Edited by Tasm3n

The port in Bayonne being so close to home got me cruising again. I have only had good weather, even in January, so the two days cruising at the beginning and end have been great, and cheaper than flying a day or two ahead to Florida, plus hotel and meals. Oasis will be sailing out of Bayonne next year. Having said that, my next cruise is out of Miami because I wanted to do a transatlantic and the price was right. 

Get a credit card with cash back for travel.  You can get a card that gives you 2% cash back on all purchases.  I use the card for everything, including cell phone and cable bill.  The 2% really adds up!  I have taken a couple cruises just on rewards alone.  Important point - always pay off the balance every month.  Does not pay if you carry a balance and pay interest.  

Agree with the %2 credit card.  We use one for everything.  Also, you can get the Royal Caribbean Visa card, and get points good for $100 OBC.  That is about all it is good for now.

Fly in the day before, especially if you are traveling in winter.  Any of th older Oasis Class ships would be a good choice.  Symphony is the new kid on the block, and it will command higher prices for a while.

Good luck with your new habit.

15 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

The port in Bayonne being so close to home got me cruising again. I have only had good weather, even in January, so the two days cruising at the beginning and end have been great, and cheaper than flying a day or two ahead to Florida, plus hotel and meals. Oasis will be sailing out of Bayonne next year. Having said that, my next cruise is out of Miami because I wanted to do a transatlantic and the price was right. 

Ill look into the Oasis! thanks! Luckily I am sitting on top of a mound of miles I could use from my united card (work has me all over the world) for the flight, id consider this a special occasion =]

12 minutes ago, rgd1213 said:

Get a credit card with cash back for travel.  You can get a card that gives you 2% cash back on all purchases.  I use the card for everything, including cell phone and cable bill.  The 2% really adds up!  I have taken a couple cruises just on rewards alone.  Important point - always pay off the balance every month.  Does not pay if you carry a balance and pay interest.  

I might make a change to how I structure my cards, I might be able to pick up a bunch of rewards. Right now I default to my united card for my purchases for miles (while paying them off course ;) ). However I have enough miles at this point for anything I could want, I guess I can divert my purchases to a different card and pick up some rewards, Thanks! 

Hi

As matj says...don't buy a bunch of useless crap.

As you put it, "you make decent money". You have managed to have "savings", so that is good. Now you just need to allocate some of the money that would go to your regular savings to a "vacation fund". If you are looking for things to cut out of your regular routine, for most people, that is going out for lunches/dinners. Going to shows, whatever it is that you do. It's not that you need to stop entertaining yourself, but you need to realize that if you have just a few nights out less a month and put that in your piggy bank, you can go on a cruise every year, without worrying about how to finance it. If you look for ways to spend even less on the cruise itself, you may find that you can go on more than one cruise a year. You decide what your priorities are, if there is something that you feel you want to do regularly, you budget for it. 0% interest or not, if you are indeed making enough money, save for something you want and then spend the money, not the other way around. This kind of debt is not good debt.

hope this helps

If you like Royal-check out the Allstate Rewards thread. You can get gift cards 10% off (so pay $490 for $500 GC). Carnival GC also available. Just paid off my (2nd) Carnival cruise with the GC-nothing like saving 10%, then CC rewards on top of it! This may also sound silly-but I do Ibotta as well-and have gotten a couple hundred back over the past couple years-little effort on my part and it is FREE money. Some people may sneer at savings of $200 but to me that can be a drink package, excursion, or other splurge!

Sounds like you found a really nice way to remember/honor your mom too!

I see that your questions are Royal specific.  But maybe you should check into Carnival.  They have really good rates and specials and the excursions are more affordable than most cruise lines.  I have recently returned to carnival after a VERY long time away.  Most of my cruises have been with NCL. 

13 hours ago, sblackman said:

TItle says it all, I think I am hooked on the cruise life. Last April the GF and I (Both 27 at the time) took a cruise in honor of my late mother who passed that previous December, she always told me to go on a nice vacation with what little she was able to leave for me so I did just that! We went on the Anthem leaving out of Bayonne NJ going to Port Canaveral FL, CocoCay, and Nassau before going back to Bayonne. We got a nice balcony room, ate and drank way too much, had too much fun and didnt have a worry in the world. Needless to say that we had an amazing time and was great to distress from life/work/reality. It was my first vacation and the first time ive treated myself to something that nice, I felt rested and it showed in my attitude/mentality .Almost a year later, as the cold months of winter drag on and work is on full blast I cant help to think about booking our second cruise.  However I have some questions/would like some feedback from CC! 

The last cruise I was on left from Bayonne NJ, I am a resident NJ'er and it was super convenient. What was not as fun was the 2 day journey to the warm weather on the ship (and the 2 days to get back), while the ship was amazing by itself I was yearning for more time in warm waters. I found myself wanting more time in the tropics, If I had to do it again I would leave from FL or TX right off the bat, allowing more time in tropical places. Anyone else from the NJ area fly to FL instead of leaving from Bayonne?  Arrive the day before or chance it with the same day arrival? I travel a ton for work so I have no problem getting up at 3am for a flight but the GF might have other things to say lol. Luckily I have enough miles to offset this cost. 

We seem to like the bigger ships as well, they are more updated with more activities aligned to what I would want to do on vacation. We are looking at the Oasis class ships this time around, not sure which one would be best (doubt their is a huge differences between generations). Is their an Oasis class ship that has a different vibes/tastes/things to do than what I did on the Anthem? Or are most of the restaurants/activities consistent between RCI ships? While I loved the Anthem I would like to stay away from a carbon copy for my next cruise. 

For those who are budget conscience, do you have any tips or tricks that you do to save your pennies for paying for a cruise? I have a jar where I keep my spare bills/change that is nearing the 500 dollar deposit, however the remainder is where I need the help/suggestions. We make decent money but the savings rate for "our normal fun" and the savings rate for "fun time on a cruise for next year" is enough to cause stress. While I could just dip into the savings and not worry about it id rather think of a cruise almost like a luxury purchase and properly allocate income towards it. But on the other hand im also thinking about just booking it and making a hard push to having it all paid off before the cruise, take it as a challenge. If not then pay the remainder of everything by card with a 0% offer or dip into savings. Curious how others consider cruises into their lives/budgets.  

I want to thank Cruise Critic a ton for helping me out along the way! I read for months leading up to the cruise about just about everything and I was still blown away by it all. Knowing what your getting into before you get aboard will help you a ton! Im so ready and excited for my next cruise =]!!!

I'll go you better 🙂 My wife thought she would HATE HATE cruising and after ten years of marriage and during those years we had countless discussions I still couldn't change her mind. 😞 Soooo I did a 'naughty trick' and in the summer of 2006 I just made a reservation for a five day Nassau/Freeport cruise out of Mobile on the Carnival  Holiday for the following third week in March 2007 and did NOT tell her! Well, after a few months I forgot about it too and dd not remember till January 2007 just 2 months before the cruise. Boy !! Was she ever shocked, and a little mad until she got on board and actually went aft for the 'sailaway' party ! After we had only been on the ship TEN minutes she was so wide eyed shocked and breathlessly asked me, 'WHEN can we do this AGAIN!! Ever since then she's sooooo excited even thinking about a cruise. Sounds to me like YOU also have been bitten by the 'cruise bug' much like my wife. I am so happy for you and I hope you have so many more because there's NO 'antidote' for this wonderful disease. You'll know the same identical feelings every time your shuttle turns the corner and you see those BIG white beautiful multi-decked mountains floating the brillant sunlight silently saying 'Welcome back home we've missed you' and feel the THRILL when your hear the ship's horn blast as the deck begins too move and you KNOW, you're on your way as the bright blue waters rush past. 

Mac