Mariner balcony

frannie12

Standard configuration is just the crossbars, but I believe you can request a more solid barrier be installed.  Others may know for sure.

Of course, me personally, I'd never leave a young child unattended on the balcony, even with a solid partition set up - kids can be like little spider monkeys...depending on the age of the child, you could keep them inside the cabin, the doors are pretty tough for smaller people to open.

Edited by UUNetBill

3 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

I think the biggest risk of children on the balcony or any open deck is making sure they don’t climb or push furniture over to the railing. 

I know I would never have taken younger me and my younger brother on a cruise ship - you could have had the entire balcony caged in with chicken wire and we'd have still found a way to throw each other overboard...

• Like 1

Agree with Bill.  Regent ships are not built for children (or rowdy adults that drink too much).  One could certainly push a chair over the railing (but would be removed from the ship at the next port as there is a strict rule about throwing anything over the balcony).  A child could also stand on a chair and be tall enough to fall (thankfully this has never happened).  Would I leave my children or grandchildren alone on the deck?  Absolutely not!

Bill - love your response!

53 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Agree with Bill.  Regent ships are not built for children (or rowdy adults that drink too much).  One could certainly push a chair over the railing (but would be removed from the ship at the next port as there is a strict rule about throwing anything over the balcony).  A child could also stand on a chair and be tall enough to fall (thankfully this has never happened).  Would I leave my children or grandchildren alone on the deck?  Absolutely not!

Bill - love your response!

I didn’t say a child would throw a chair over the railing..,I said a child could push a chair TO the railing😜.

2 hours ago, rcandkc said:

I didn’t say a child would throw a chair over the railing..,I said a child could push a chair TO the railing😜.

Sorry about that.  Yes - they could push a chair to the railing.  Still would not leave a child alone on a balcony.

Edited by Travelcat2

7 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Sorry about that.  Yes - they could push a hair to the railing.  Still would not leave a child alone on a balcony.

Obviously the point of my post early on...climbing, etc.  Goodness. 

17 hours ago, rcandkc said:

Obviously the point of my post early on...climbing, etc.  Goodness. 

Having seen some of the kids running amok in the past, I can see how one would think it's possible - even probable - that a kid would throw furniture overboard...sadly, things like this don't surprise me these days.  Same with kids being left unsupervised - happens all too often.  Not saying anyone here would do that, but it happens WAY too much.

I have been taking my 7 grand-kids on cruises every year (since 2000) since they were 5 y.o.  (My Minimum age requirement). Usually on Princess or Disney, but all the other mass lines as well. Never heard of anyone's kid falling off balcony. If they are old enough to listen they will understand. My rule was always both feet on the floor when they on balcony.

Having said that, I would never subject a child to a Regent cruise. They would be bored to death. No Kids Club, No Kids area. No kids pool. No Arcade.  No kids TV Channel., etc. Regent ship only have a really rinky-dink golf course, one ping pong table adn a small outside court area. 

J

Regent is not intended for children...  and that is one of the best things about Regent IMO !!  As you say - 

" No Kids Club, No Kids area. No kids pool. No Arcade.  No kids TV Channel., etc"

Let's keep it that way...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, SkystheLimit said:

Just received the latest Regent brochure and "Kids Sail Free" on most Alaska cruises this summer.  

Seeing "Kids Sail Free" on an itinerary translates to "Do Not Book This Cruise" in Billese.

• Like 2

Very surprised that Regent is running "Kids Sail Free".  They have not done this for a few years.  Perhaps they forgot what a disaster it was when they did that before.  If I recall correctly, the ships were "overfull" (not legally - all the ships can carry more than the stated number of passengers but when you get over 500 on Navigator or 700 on Mariner - it is not pleasant.). I clearly remember when two boys were using the sticks that are used to play shuffle board as swords and one boy ended up with two broken arms.  There are simply not enough staff to control the children and, unfortunately, too many parents are not paying attention.

23 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Seeing "Kids Sail Free" on an itinerary translates to "Do Not Book This Cruise" in Billese.

Really sorry to see this! ☹️  We have our first Regent cruise booked for Alaska in mid-June, after years of Oceania and recently Viking Ocean, and I wanted very much to have a Regent experience that’s more representative of what the line is like in normal circumstances.  

3 hours ago, aungrl said:

Really sorry to see this! ☹️  We have our first Regent cruise booked for Alaska in mid-June, after years of Oceania and recently Viking Ocean, and I wanted very much to have a Regent experience that’s more representative of what the line is like in normal circumstances.  

Under "normal circumstances" (when school is in session), there are likely no children.   There are also a majority of return Regent customers while Alaska cruises tend to have a larger percent of people new to Regent.  

Even though Alaska cruises are not necessarily typical, they are still great cruises.  We have sailed Alaska four times on Regent (however, not when school was out - we sailed in May and September).