Aurora Refit

Selbourne

We prefer the smaller ships but don’t have a problem with Azura and Ventura. The one that’s a real “no no” for us is Britannia. That one always feels frantically busy. Isn’t it strange how we all have different feelings about different ships!! 

Not really!  I know what I like.  I like a ship to feel like a ship and not a floating hotel.  when we tried Azura,. one of the many things we disliked was when walking through inside on the Prom Deck, you cannot see the sea, very strange angles with no windows.  Also, the crowds waiting to get on and off the ship were just awful.  Dancing was in the atrium right outside the library!!  It's a while ago, so may have changed, but not for us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Not really!  I know what I like.  I like a ship to feel like a ship and not a floating hotel.  when we tried Azura,. one of the many things we disliked was when walking through inside on the Prom Deck, you cannot see the sea, very strange angles with no windows.  Also, the crowds waiting to get on and off the ship were just awful.  Dancing was in the atrium right outside the library!!  It's a while ago, so may have changed, but not for us

Exactly my point. We all know what we like but for varying reasons. 

On 3/28/2019 at 11:16 AM, jeanlyon said:

Not really!  I know what I like.  I like a ship to feel like a ship and not a floating hotel.  when we tried Azura,. one of the many things we disliked was when walking through inside on the Prom Deck, you cannot see the sea, very strange angles with no windows.  Also, the crowds waiting to get on and off the ship were just awful.  Dancing was in the atrium right outside the library!!  It's a while ago, so may have changed, but not for us.

I think you will like Aurora Jean.  Once the lovely Oriana has sadly left the fleet, Aurora will be my favourite but I will be quite happy to sail on Arcadia too.  I waved a sad farewell to Oriana from the deck of Azura last Friday with a wee bit of dampness in my eye.  My short cruise on Azura last weekend did nothing to improve my opinion of her but thankfully I was travelling with a group of friends so largely had a good time anyway.  Azura has many fans but she is just not to my taste.

58 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Hi Andrew, we have 2 booked on Aurora and 2 on Arcadia next year!  Maybe you will be on one of them?  With the lovely Shirley of course!

xx

I'm booked on an 18-night Aurora cruise in October next year Jean.  Hope that might be one of yours - unless your 2 Aurora cruises are both this year!

That is a shame Jean.  It would be lovely to cruise with the three of you again.  Sadly, I am not convinced as to how long P&O will retain Aurora & Arcadia once the next new leviathan comes into service in 2022.  Also, the way the current Management Team seem to disdain their Customers, I am not sure how long my loyalty to the company will last!

15 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Hmmm, have to agree in a way.  Fred O has become expensive.  Might need to find a different holidaY.

Maybe try a week on CMV Jean.  I had a very enjoyable 11 nights to Iceland on Marco Polo last year.  They are not up to the levels of P&O/Fred Olsen but you can get some great deals with them.  It is a very laid-back traditional style of cruising. You would probably love Marco Polo, as she has the feel of a proper ship!

We are on the first cruise next week after the refit. Had an email today to say that the work on the gym will not be finished and the gym will not open until 17th April.

Does not worry me but some may not be happy.

Brian

3 hours ago, BrianI said:

We are on the first cruise next week after the refit. Had an email today to say that the work on the gym will not be finished and the gym will not open until 17th April.

Does not worry me but some may not be happy.

Brian

I hope that you don't get too disturbed by the continuing work Brian.

Please let us know your thoughts on the refit, we are on Aurora in June.

Many thanks

Andy

12 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Rather go for a walk in the fresh air myself!  😃

Me too Jean! Although I do swim three times a week - but that is as much about mobility as anything else as I know I am genetically pre-disposed to Arthritis.

I like to swim on holiday too.  Also, I walk up a steep hill to do my Coastwatch volunterring which can't be bad.  There's all these sweaty people in gyms puffing and blowing.  YUK!!

Edited by jeanlyon

Hols4

My wife likes going to the gym on Aurora while I do 4 or 5 laps of the promenade deck,(3.2 laps is 1 mile).Only trouble is after a few laps I start daydreaming and forget how many laps I have done.Looking forward to our 4th cruise on Aurora our favourite ship end of May to the Med and the changes they have made.

Following up on the "new" TVs on Aurora's refit, this is the reply I received from P&O today, although I guess these will be the original TVs if the refit is the same as Ventura the new TVs on her were still the same small ones:-

I can confirm that Sky Sports News is available for you inside your cabin, please advise that the channels are dependent on satellite signal and not every channel will be available at all times. The only information we currently have in regards to screen sizes for Aurora is: 

Suites - 22" and 19" 
Mini suites- 22" 
Deluxe Balcony - 22" 
All other cabins - 19" 

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Following up on the "new" TVs on Aurora's refit, this is the reply I received from P&O today, although I guess these will be the original TVs if the refit is the same as Ventura the new TVs on her were still the same small ones:-

I can confirm that Sky Sports News is available for you inside your cabin, please advise that the channels are dependent on satellite signal and not every channel will be available at all times. The only information we currently have in regards to screen sizes for Aurora is: 

Suites - 22" and 19" 
Mini suites- 22" 
Deluxe Balcony - 22" 
All other cabins - 19" 

Anything will be an improvement John, the ones at the moment really are poor.

Thanks for the info.

Andy

Hi all, just had our cabin allocated for our May cruise.

D208, one of the new ones on D deck, where the kids club was.

Has anyone stayed in this or one of the other new cabins yet?

Any photos or comments would be appreciated

Regards

Malcolm