Upgrading at check in

Mars4baby

Hi everyone,

first time cruisers. Sail tomorrow on summit. Having buyers remorse...tried to bid for upgrades but no go on all. Can you upgrade at check in at port? Apologies if this is a crazy question. Not sure if it works like a hotel. Thanks all!

A decade ago, we got a few upgrades at checkin.  Those upgrades were minor: a cabin in the same category but in a slightly better location.

that disappeared a long time ago.  Now with bidding for upgrades firmly in place and ships sailing full,  these offers are a thing of the past.  

the good news is this:  if you stop regretting your cabin choice, you'll have a great time.  Rejoice in the money you saved And have a great cruise.

Edited by jkgourmet
  • Like 1

I agree, it is not like "check in" at a hotel, but if you're willing to pay for an upgrade... it can't hurt to ask. When researching a cruise.... I always start with my needs first as a baseline and then go up from there. For example: I will not book "guarantee cabin" because I need to be mid ship to avoid motion sickness. Good Luck, and Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by C-sea

1 minute ago, Mars4baby said:

Thank you everyone. I’m going to rejoice in being mid ship and lower deck as I am prone to motion sickness. Thanks for the quick responses 

PS. If you're in an inside or OV room, you can REALLY rejoice about the hundreds/thousands of dollars you saved instead of getting higher/category, more expensive cabins.  Probably enough for another cruise.  

3 hours ago, Mars4baby said:

Hi everyone,

first time cruisers. Sail tomorrow on summit. Having buyers remorse...tried to bid for upgrades but no go on all. Can you upgrade at check in at port? Apologies if this is a crazy question. Not sure if it works like a hotel. Thanks all!

Not sure what category you are in but I don't think there were high cat's available for upgrade. (If someone got a suite, let us know) I thought the MoveUp prices were quite high as well so did not bid as we are happy with current cabin. I have asked onboard a couple days in if upgrades are available  and I never thought the price quoted was worth it to move. I think since we are on a  newly "revolutionized" ship, you will feel good about whatever cabin you have. Safe travels. Cheers, can't wait for tomorrow !

3 hours ago, Mars4baby said:

Thank you everyone. I’m going to rejoice in being mid ship and lower deck as I am prone to motion sickness. Thanks for the quick responses 

we booked our first inside cabin this year it was a last minute cruise as docs gave me green light to travel but only had a 4 week window to do it in. So booked and sailed 5 days later.  Inside was all that was left.  Asked for upgrade at checking and it was a no. It was a back to back so we requested to upgrade the following week if available, but again none came up.  However, after the first week we were quite glad none came up lol and we would not hesitate to book and inside again on a port intensive cruise (we only had 1 sea day out of 14). Hope it works for you as it did us.  It will now save us lots in the future

I did not do the move up bidding but I called my TA to upgrade our cabin after the final payment. The cost was actually negative as we got back much more in OBC after the upgrade plus getting 2 classic beverage packages. Also, I picked specific cabins to upgrade. For us, the location of the cabins are more important than the upgrade.