Cork Fee

schevel

Just thought about this, hope someone can answer. If I bring a few bottles of wine and pay cork fee at the dock, do I have to pay another cork fee if I bring a bottle to a restaurant?

Edited by schevel

• 2 weeks later...

Anecdote to this. Once brought 2 bottles of wine on board. Never got my luggage and got a note to precede to the security office . Was told my wine was hidden and would have to pay $15 per bottle for a corkage fee . Not happening ! Complained to the " bar & beverage " mngr. She stated  their policy..

I showed them their written policy of wine in public places,etc. I agreed...

My CABIN was not a public place !!!

Kept my wine ( no charge ) & received a plate of chocolate covered strawberries that evening..

Edited by magicmawk

6 minutes ago, yearsofcruising said:

Anecdote to this. Once brought 2 bottles of wine on board. Never got my luggage and got a note to precede to the security office . Was told my wine was hidden and would have to pay $15 per bottle for a corkage fee . Not happening ! Complained to the " bar & beverage " mngr. She stated  their policy..

Kept my wine ( no charge ) & received a plate of chocolate covered strawberries that evening..

When did this happen?

4 minutes ago, yearsofcruising said:

Can you show me their written policy of wine in the cabin? I have never seen it anywhere that you are allowed to bring on wine for consumption in your cabin without paying the corcage fee.

4 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Can you show me their written policy of wine in the cabin? I have never seen it anywhere that you are allowed to bring on wine for consumption in your cabin without paying the corcage fee.

The policy has always been you pay corkage for each bottle of wine you bring onboard, regardless of where you drink it. If you want to drink it in your cabin, $15. Other lines allow you to bring 2 bottles of wine to consume in your cabin with no corkage, NCL is unique with their policy of allowing unlimited bottles of wine, for $15 each. I think the AP was mistaken and confused another line’s wine policy with NCL’s. 

Just now, mjkacmom said:

The policy has always been you pay corkage for each bottle of wine you bring onboard, regardless of where you drink it. If you want to drink it in your cabin, $15. Other lines allow you to bring 2 bottles of wine to consume in your cabin with no corkage, NCL is unique with their policy of allowing unlimited bottles of wine, for $15 each. I think the AP was mistaken and confused another line’s wine policy with NCL’s. 

I know but wanted to give yearsofcruising to chance to explain where they found that information.

1 minute ago, sverigecruiser said:

I know but wanted to give yearsofcruising to chance to explain where they found that information.

It may have been true when he went on the cruise, which is why I asked when it happened. His username says “years of cruising,” after all. 

2 minutes ago, slugg said:

It may have been true when he went on the cruise, which is why I asked when it happened. His username says “years of cruising,” after all. 

I know it can be a long time ago. Has it ever been possible to bring wine to drink without a corkage fee in the cabin on NCL and if yes, did they even had the naughty room then?

13 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I know it can be a long time ago. Has it ever been possible to bring wine to drink without a corkage fee in the cabin on NCL and if yes, did they even had the naughty room then?

Did they have the internet back then?

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

As long as I've been sailing NCL it has always been $15 per bottle. You do have to carry it on so they can assess the corkage fee when you board.

Princess also has a liberal policy on how many bottles you can bring on. The first bottle is free of corkage if you drink it in your cabin, but all additional bottles are $15 corkage no matter where consumed. This is "per passenger" so you could bring on two bottles for two drinking age adults sharing a cabin. They don't state an upper limit for the additional bottles. As far as I know, all cruise lines limit bringing on wine to the embarkation port only. Disney is the exception to this, as they allow 2 bottles per stateroom to be brought on in each port.

I carried on 4 bottles of wine, and declared it at security last week. They only charged me the cork fee for 3 bottles, and put the little sticker on all 4 bottles. Not sure if this is policy, or the guy was just in a good mood that day. 

This was maybe 7/8 yrs ago. I did not carry it onboard. It was wrapped in ziploc bags. Evidently the suitcases are scanned. Note on my door said to report to the security office. Yes, they told me of the corkage fee , but me & the mrs. are alittle rebellious. They showed me in their " do's n don'ts " , but at the time it was printed " in restaurants or public places "..

I stuck to my guns..show me where it was printed " cabins ".Unless I have an open door policy..  

They lost this one.....

5 minutes ago, yearsofcruising said:

This was maybe 7/8 yrs ago....but at the time it was printed " in restaurants or public places "..

I stuck to my guns..show me where it was printed " cabins ".Unless I have an open door policy..  

They lost this one.....

Things have changed....

Can I bring water or soda on board?

Effective for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older). 

Can I still bring wine on board?
Yes, guests may bring sealed bottles of wine on board for personal consumption. They will be checked prior to embarkation and a corkage fee applied at that time of $15.00 USD for a 750 ml Bottle or $30.00 USD for a 1,500 ml Magnum bottle. Box wines are not allowed on board.

On 3/28/2019 at 1:21 PM, schevel said:

Just thought about this, hope someone can answer. If I bring a few bottles of wine and pay cork fee at the dock, do I have to pay another cork fee if I bring a bottle to a restaurant?

No, the fee is paid when boarding and the bottles have a sticker put on them. Take them to any bar or restaurant and they will take care of opening, decanting, pouring, etc. They will also keep your open bottle for you if you wish.

32 minutes ago, yearsofcruising said:

This was maybe 7/8 yrs ago. I did not carry it onboard. It was wrapped in ziploc bags. Evidently the suitcases are scanned. Note on my door said to report to the security office. Yes, they told me of the corkage fee , but me & the mrs. are alittle rebellious. They showed me in their " do's n don'ts " , but at the time it was printed " in restaurants or public places "..

They lost this one.....

I’m pretty sure you are mistaken, we’ve been cruising NCL for about 15 year, plus have been on CC, and although things change all of the time, the corkage fee on NCL has always been unlimited bottles, $15 each, no matter where you drink it. If it had ever changed, it would’ve been mentioned on this board (over and over, like any change).

51 minutes ago, yearsofcruising said:

They lost this one.....

I thought that it might have been longer since you did it. If it was 7/8 years ago I'm pretty sure that the policy was corkage fee whereever you drank it. I will look in some older brochures and read the fine prints about it. 

Edited by sverigecruiser

5 minutes ago, yearsofcruising said:

Not starting any wars..Maybe it was more than 8yrs ago..Just stating the facts. Did not carry it onboard and got caught. At that time , their disclaimer was not as it states now..

Regardless of a war or not..... what's the relevance of relaying an experience when Reagan was in office when answering a question about today.