Sailing Solo on Carnival Sunrise in September to Bermuda

Natasha777

I am planning to sail solo this September six days to Bermuda on Carnival Sunrise. Its been a while I went cruising. I've booked ATD. It feels very awkward to go to the restaurant along. Should I stick to the buffet? I am really looking forward to my time alone and away from my busy life, but the dining along seems very unusual.

No reason to stick with buffet. If you have a dining time you will be seated with others. If you have anytime dining you can tell them that you would like to be seated with others. Done it on seeral occations without a problem, make new friends

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Natasha777 said:

I am planning to sail solo this September six days to Bermuda on Carnival Sunrise. Its been a while I went cruising. I've booked ATD. It feels very awkward to go to the restaurant along. Should I stick to the buffet? I am really looking forward to my time alone and away from my busy life, but the dining along seems very unusual.

You can request a table for two, and dine alone. I know what you mean about looking forward to that alone time. I happen to enjoy my own company and have went to dinner in the dining room on my solo cruises as well. I usually have my iPad with a book loaded, and have a nice long meal. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Natasha777 said:

We will be on this sailing as well. We have done ATD and shared a table with others many times. I remember one cruise we had a big round table that sat about 10 people, 3 were solo cruisers, then me and DH, and 2 other couples. It was a great dinner! I don’t see why you should have to stick to the buffet if you are open to sitting with others. 

I sailed solo on the Ecstasy and ate alone in the dining room with ATD. The wait staff seemed to be completely familiar with solo diners. They made it seem like the most natural thing that I should be cruising alone and that I would request a table by myself. I never had cause to feel awkward at dinner.

• Like 1

I also usually cruise solo. Not sure if Carnival still does this, but in the past most SOLO cruisers were put at a table of SOLO cruisers. One of the best MDR tables I've ever been seated at  was  decades ago with 5 other SOLO cruisers. Cruised with one of them, a nurse, twice thereafter (two cakes to the table as we both were born on the same date). We had a young tv producer from Denver (his first cruise), a golf pro, a beautiful mysterious lady from Thailand, and a travel agent (provided 2 bottles of wine for each meal 😂). Hope they continue to do this on your cruise.

• Like 1

I cruised solo on the Victory with early seating.  I was at a table with 6 solo cruisers, but 3 never came to dinner.  My tablemates were lovely and we had a great time.  A family joined us on our last night and it was  so much fun!  I am a pretty social person, so it's fine for me.  

Hi Natasha

I will be going on my first solo cruise on the Sunrise in Nov.

I picked the early dining time. I have been to a few all inclusive resorts by myself, and they don't put strangers together (maybe they could ask). There is no question, but for me, I prefer dining with others. I realize, it's hit or miss with how you get along with your tablemates, but over many years cruising, I would say I have been pleased with the people I have met.  

For myself, I wouldn't say it feels awkward eating alone. It's more the case that if I am alone, I am just there to eat. I eat, and then move on. With a group of people it becomes a social setting where you can linger a bit more, talk, have fun. I understand, many people don't feel it's worth the effort to socialize with strangers. I enjoy it. 😁

have a great cruise

9 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi Natasha

I will be going on my first solo cruise on the Sunrise in Nov.

I picked the early dining time. I have been to a few all inclusive resorts by myself, and they don't put strangers together (maybe they could ask). There is no question, but for me, I prefer dining with others. I realize, it's hit or miss with how you get along with your tablemates, but over many years cruising, I would say I have been pleased with the people I have met.  

For myself, I wouldn't say it feels awkward eating alone. It's more the case that if I am alone, I am just there to eat. I eat, and then move on. With a group of people it becomes a social setting where you can linger a bit more, talk, have fun. I understand, many people don't feel it's worth the effort to socialize with strangers. I enjoy it. 😁

have a great cruise

I'll be solo on the 11/16 Sunrise also. I did my first solo back in March on the Breeze and enjoyed it immensely! 

3 hours ago, stormy_weatherman said:

I'll be solo on the 11/16 Sunrise also. I did my first solo back in March on the Breeze and enjoyed it immensely! 

Hi

Yes, that's my cruise date...see you there. 😁 I was going to look for a roll call over the summer. 

• Like 1