Cabs in Southampton - cash only, or credit cards?

Underwatr

I've booked a Hertz rental for our QM2 visit to Southampton in June. Hertz has a location servicing cruise ship passengers (on West Quay Road) and they say that they reimburse taxi fare to and from the office from the cruise pier.

Many US cabs (such as in New York City) now accept credit cards. Is this the case in Southampton? In 2011 I remember paying cash, but don't recall whether there was a an option to pay by card.  If not, I'll just exchange a small amount of cash during the crossing (and visit an ATM once we have the car).

Thanks...

I’d try and take cash if you can. I think they do technically accept cards but I wouldn’t guarantee the machine will work. If you don’t have GBP, perhaps just double check before you get in. 

Another tip: remind the driver to switch the meter on if they don’t do so automatically. They forgot to do so on my last trip to Southampton Station and had to guesstimate the fare. We agreed £7 from recollection. That was in December 2018. 

Another tip (2): for those travelling to Southampton Train Station who get really stuck, there is a cash machine directly outside the front entrance. Again, you can’t guarantee it will be working but has on every occasion I’ve visited. I’ve used it several times. 

I hope that helps. 

AF

That helps, as does knowing that Uber might be useful. I suppose I could also have the cab driver to pass an ATM with the meter running en route.

I used to keep a little cache of Pounds and Euros but I've been hit more than one trying to spend deprecated New Pence or a withdrawn 5-pound note (Southampton taxi, as a matter of fact) so I'm more likely to exchange my leftover Pounds into Euros or Dollars this trip. Didn't something else just go out of circulation recently?

Yes, the paper £10 note was withdrawn a little over a year ago (March 1, 2018). I got caught out by that one, having kept four of those notes from a trip to the UK in 2017. I used the Bank of England's "exchanging old bank notes by post" method and incurred a $30 check processing fee along the way. So my £40 in old bank notes turned into $22 when all was said and done. Lesson learned.

Just for people that live outside the UK, the large majority of shops, restaurants, coffee shops etc. in the UK accept debit and credit cards including contactless payments up to £30. American Express is also much more widely accepted than it was a few years ago. Hopefully you won’t need to withdraw much cash on future trips. Taxis are a bit of an unfortunate exception. 

I only use Uber in London now. 

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
On 4/8/2019 at 9:38 AM, bluemarble said:

Yes, the paper £10 note was withdrawn a little over a year ago (March 1, 2018). I got caught out by that one, having kept four of those notes from a trip to the UK in 2017. I used the Bank of England's "exchanging old bank notes by post" method and incurred a $30 check processing fee along the way. So my £40 in old bank notes turned into $22 when all was said and done. Lesson learned.

From what I’ve read in other forums, most Southampton taxis can take card but “the machine is broken”, when  you say you only have foreign (US) currency they magically work.  Also people recommend reminding the driver to start the meter…..No wonder everyone says to use Uber.  

We stayed in Southampton overnight before departing on our TransAtlantic last year. We took 4 cabs, train station to hotel, hotel to dinner, dinner back to the hotel and hotel to the ship. In all cases we paid with a credit card and never had a bit of trouble. For what its worth, we found the fares very reasonable.

Hope this helps,

Jack

• Like 1