Rotterdam -- no more pastries?

11 minutes ago, TonyC1952 said:

So, there it is. You just have to ask for them. Rumor debunked.

What if someone is new to HAL or new to cruising.  How would they know to ask for something they don't know even exists?

Roz

Edited by Roz
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roz said:

What is someone is new to HAL or new to cruising.  How would they know to ask for something they don't know even exists?

Roz

That bothers me. Someone who doesn't know could be walking out of breakfast and see someone get pastries and wonder "why didn't I get any?" Maybe that person will simply ask the next morning, but it could leave a bad taste in his/her mouth. (sorry for the pun)

On Cunard, a server with a tray of pastries makes the round more than once. We used to joke that the pastry crew couldn't go on break until the trays were empty.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Do not fear.  Pastries will soon be available for $10 (in the MDR) and plenty of folks here on CC will express their approval :).

Hank

You have it all wrong, the first pastry will be free the second a $10 upcharge will apply.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Think of the waste as things are now.   100 tables, 4 pasteries per table..... If only half are eaten, (Health codes say the rest must be thrown out) that translates to 200 pasteries thrown out per morning...    Thats fourteenHUNDRED in an average week long cruise.  

Now if they go to a cart, or simply by request.......  Well heck thats a LOT of savings.   I have no issue with that. 

1 hour ago, FredT said:

Think of the waste as things are now.   100 tables, 4 pasteries per table..... If only half are eaten, (Health codes say the rest must be thrown out) that translates to 200 pasteries thrown out per morning...    Thats fourteenHUNDRED in an average week long cruise.  

Now if they go to a cart, or simply by request.......  Well heck thats a LOT of savings.   I have no issue with that. 

In the Pinnacle, a waiter walks around with a tray and offers you a pastry.  You can take one or not.  I don't recall a basket or plate of pastries being place on the MDR table at breakfast. 

Roz

46 minutes ago, Roz said:

In the Pinnacle, a waiter walks around with a tray and offers you a pastry.  You can take one or not.  I don't recall a basket or plate of pastries being place on the MDR table at breakfast. 

Roz

That is also how it has been done in the MDR previously.  No basket of pastries, a steward offers pastries from a large tray.

4 hours ago, FredT said:

Past practice has been for a server with a tray to offer pastries. They don't put one on your plate unless you choose one. So except for people who ask for one and don't eat it, there isn't a lot of waste. If they put a basket of pastries on the table, that could result in waste. 

1 hour ago, CM1984 said:

First night on Rotterdam last night. As soon as seated in MDR, waiter brought a basket....there you go!

What was in the basket?  Breakfast pastries or dinner rolls?  Like Venn, I'm a bit confused about your post.

Roz