VAT on Mediterranean Cruise

DENIE

I have been seeing some things noted in threads about the Value Added Tax (?) - VAT.  We are on the Constellation in November from Venice to Rome, with ports in Croatia, Montenegro, and Malta (in addition to Italy).  We already have booked tours in most places, and paid for them.  We have the Classic Beverage package, but were thinking of upgrading to the premium while on board.  We have some OBC, which we were thinking about using for specialty dining. What kinds of extra charges do we need to be aware of?

I believe Montenegro is a non-EU port, so you should not have any VAT issues for onboard purchases for the cruise.  As long as the ship stops at a non-EU port, VAT does not apply to onboard purchases.  Ports in Spain are an exception to this rule, but for those, the VAT only applies to purchases made while in or near a Spanish port.  

Montenegro is trying to get EU admission, so things might change in the future.

Edited by cruiserchuck

2 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

I believe Montenegro is a non-EU port, so you should not have any VAT issues for onboard purchases for the cruise.  

Actually Montenegro is an EU country but uses their own currency but Croatia that use the Euro is a NON-EC countries.  I found that out myself last year and was surprised by it.   I thought it would be the opposite.

• Like 1

According to a list on the EU website, Montenegro is not currently a EU country.  Croatia is a EU member.

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/countries_en

The 28 member countries of the EU

BY ALPHABETICAL ORDER

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Actually Montenegro is an EU country but uses their own currency but Croatia that use the Euro is a NON-EC countries.  I found that out myself last year and was surprised by it.   I thought it would be the opposite.

It is the opposite, you’ve got it wrong. 

Croatia is an EU country, the last to join in 2013 but uses the Kuna as currency. 

Montenegro is not a member but is in the process of joining. They use the Euro as currency. 

So so there will be no VAT issue on this cruise. 

A8172BF5-124E-48CA-A7CC-C5BADCD29F0A.png

Just now, Highpeaklad said:

It is the opposite, you’ve got it wrong. 

Croatia is an EU country, the last to join in 2013 but uses the Kuna as currency. 

Montenegro is not a member but is in the process of joining. They use the Euro as currency. 

So so there will be no VAT issue on this cruise. 

A8172BF5-124E-48CA-A7CC-C5BADCD29F0A.png

Your right I apologize.    Obviously I' m getting old.

I know I've seen this in a post a while ago, but thought you all might be able to provide more information.  We embark in Amsterdam - if we're going to upgrade from Classical to Premium Beverage package, would we avoid the VAT if we wait until we've sailed and are out of port?

On 4/15/2019 at 10:55 AM, Beachlover1989 said:

I know I've seen this in a post a while ago, but thought you all might be able to provide more information.  We embark in Amsterdam - if we're going to upgrade from Classical to Premium Beverage package, would we avoid the VAT if we wait until we've sailed and are out of port?

To be safe upgrade before the cruise then no worries.  If you have OBC from Celebrity you can use that to pay for the upgrade.

On 4/15/2019 at 11:55 AM, Beachlover1989 said:

Brent and Lisa

Since it stops in Gibraltar - which is not an EU country - there will be no VAT if you wait until the Reflection makes it into international waters.  See ya in September.

Larry and Nan