Extension cord for CPAP

jimbri

Good morning everyone.  I have read posts about extension cords and just want to make sure I have the right one for my husband's CPAP.  We bought a 15 ft 3 prong grounded plug for light duty workshop cord. 16 Gauge, 13 AMP .(too much information?). No mention of surge protector on it anywhere.  I know I'm being very specific but just wanting the right type.  Thank you.

I pack my cord in my carry-on (i think mine is 6ft.)  I've never had an issue that I can recall.  The other post here is a good idea too.  If it's packed in the machine's bag I would be shocked if the cruise line has any problems with it.

I have seen those surge protectors that turn one plug into 6 be confiscated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hdavidson said:

My husband has COPD and uses oxygen in room at night.  Without even asking Cabin Steward brought the extension cord to our room for us!

Yeah, if I remember correctly, I've read that Guest Services has extension cords for CPAP machines (or in your case O2) if needed. They might have a limited supply, so it's probably best to ask right away.

In any case, I always recommend taking things like this with your carry-on bags. Simply because the security teams at the terminals are employed by the port, not Carnival. They have been known to make mistakes on occasion as to what is and isn't allowed. If it's in your checked luggage and gets confiscated, you won't know until you get to your cabin and get the letter. However, if you have things like this with your carry-on luggage and they want to argue that it's not allowed, you can plead your case. Especially if you know you're in the right.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jimbri said:

Good morning everyone.  I have read posts about extension cords and just want to make sure I have the right one for my husband's CPAP.  We bought a 15 ft 3 prong grounded plug for light duty workshop cord. 16 Gauge, 13 AMP .(too much information?). No mention of surge protector on it anywhere.  I know I'm being very specific but just wanting the right type.  Thank you.

Your room steward will give you an extension cord.  No need to bring one.

Dont always count on guest services to have an extension cord.  Hubby forgot his in the hotel room precruise,   we went to guest services and they had none available.   We are platinum and went to our room right after boarding he went to set up his cpap noticed it was not there and went right down to GS.   Luckily our first port was the next day and he was able to buy one there  ( lucky for him, it saved him from spending the whole cruise sleeping on the balcony !!)   He always keeps one in with his cpap and an extra in our suitcase now.

12 hours ago, hockeyluver said:

Dont always count on guest services to have an extension cord.  Hubby forgot his in the hotel room precruise,   we went to guest services and they had none available.   We are platinum and went to our room right after boarding he went to set up his cpap noticed it was not there and went right down to GS.   Luckily our first port was the next day and he was able to buy one there  ( lucky for him, it saved him from spending the whole cruise sleeping on the balcony !!)   He always keeps one in with his cpap and an extra in our suitcase now.

Agreed, with something important to you health, always have a back up!

Don't count on others or understand you'll need to deal with disappointment now and then!

13 hours ago, hockeyluver said:

I totally agree! Bring one with you and pack in your CPAP bag. Have never had one confiscated on Carnival.

I just returned from a Royal Caribbean cruise 2 weeks ago. Six months ago, I contacted their Special Needs Department to request an extension cord, distilled water and a Sharpe's container. They sent me an email stating that everything would be in our cabin upon arrival. Guess what? None of these items were there! I went to Guest Services and they told me that they had no record of my requests. I should them THEIR email to me and still couldn't find anything. They assured me that everything would be in our cabin by the end of embarkation day. The water showed up on Day #3, the Sharpe's container on Day #6 and I never saw the extension cord! Fortunately, I smuggled one on in my CPAP bag. This is one reason why we only sail with RCI three times since 1996, and with Carnival 22 times! POOR customer service!

• 2 weeks later...