Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

4 hours ago, Eremita85 said:

Looking at your recent photos and the one above the other day, I just now noticed that the forward facing windows of the Ocean View cabins above the bow will have blue paint around them. Didn’t really notice it in the renderings until just now.

IMG_1968.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

Thank you! Been following this thread for a while, happy to contribute!

Here's some more close angle and close-up photos. And I have to say, even though controversial but the ship really does look beautiful from a low frontal angle. (maybe it just hides the big forehead 😄)

umuXR6D.jpg

RtJ3cER.jpg

BF5Dk5x.jpg

tGIgZvw.jpg

mIdVoMQ.jpg

DjsfcJl.jpg

vsxYg16.jpg

DBjcb5w.jpg

• Like 9

On 9/15/2022 at 10:37 AM, gmerick said:

Nuclear reactor Cooling Towers - would be so high tech if they powered this thing with a Nu-Scale 77MW unit.  

Maybe something a bit smaller:

Fincantieri, RINA and newcleo – a nuclear technology company developing Generation IV reactors using nuclear waste as fuel – signed an agreement to explore nuclear propulsion as an alternative to fossil fuels.

The companies plan to perform a feasibility study for nuclear applications in shipping, including newcleo’s lead-cooled small modular reactors (SMR) technology.

Safeguarding marine life 

The focus of the study is currently on the naval industry: The deployment of newcleo’s lead-cooled fast reactor for naval propulsion would involve placing a closed mini reactor on vessels as a small nuclear battery producing a 30MW electric output. This would require refueling only once every 10-15 years, very limited maintenance and easy replacement at end of life.

Using nuclear power on ships would safeguard the marine ecosystem in the event of an accident, according to Fincantieri. With newcleo’s design the liquid lead inside the reactor would solidify as it cools down in contact with the cold water, enclosing the reactor core in a solid casing, and containing all radiation due to the shielding properties of lead.

‘Huge potential’ 

Pierroberto Folgiero, CEO and GM of Fincantieri, said, ‘Today Fincantieri reaffirms its vocation to be a pioneer and catalyst for progress in the maritime sector with cutting-edge, efficient and sustainable technologies. Indeed, the agreement allows us to explore the possibility of adding a new and visionary solution among those at our disposal to achieve the ambitious decarbonisation goals the industry has set for itself.’

He continued, ‘Nuclear power holds enormous potential and, as such, it needs the best expertise to be expressed, and we are proud to join with partners like newcleo and Rina to help get this done.’ 

One answer to decarbonizing the industry

Ugo Salerno, chairman and CEO of RINA, added, ‘The improvement of fuel efficiency and vessel design is already giving good results in reducing shipping footprint. But, in order to reach the targets fixed for this industry, we need alternative fuels with low carbon content from well to waste. Nuclear will be one of the answers to these objectives. In addition, small modular reactors will be the most efficient solution to apply nuclear to shipping.’

Salerno continued, ‘We are proud to cooperate with newcleo and Fincantieri in order to make feasible, as soon as possible, the implementation of SMRs on vessels.’ 

Newcleo Chairman and CEO Stefano Buono said he looks forward to the results of the feasibility study and the next steps of the project.

Fincantieri signs agreement to explore nuclear propulsion (seatrade-cruise.com)

I just realized that the ICON and other new ships like the NCL Prima have an opposite angled bow with the water line part jutting further out than the top.  It also seems fuller.

Is there a nautical reason for this that has just been discovered after thousands of years of shipbuilding or just a standout design idea?

2 hours ago, Badatz2 said:

I just realized that the ICON and other new ships like the NCL Prima have an opposite angled bow with the water line part jutting further out than the top.  It also seems fuller.

Is there a nautical reason for this that has just been discovered after thousands of years of shipbuilding or just a standout design idea?

Check out this article about Celebrity Edge which adopts the same style, known as a parabolic bow.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Insights/Celebrity-and-the-next-wave-of-hull-design

30 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

possible prices drop

It better drop or nobody will be able to sail her.  We booked the night she opened and our cabin has doubled in price since then, never did I think I'd have to be paying approximately 6K plus change for a balcony.  And that is the cheaper month of Sept.  Thank goodness we booked when we did.  It will be the most expensive cruise ever for us with Alaska in a primo aft balcony on Solstice costing half of the current quote for a central balcony, infinity at that!  I think she'll be worth it but probably only once.  Our current Allure balcony gty only cost us $1449 out of Galveston.  For what they're quoting I'd expect a Crown Loft.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

A few articles out today about the AquaDome. 

This article's image shows a  doorway to the wings.😜

https://www.ansa.it/amp/trentino/notizie/2023/07/25/la-piu-grande-cupola-in-vetro-per-navi-da-crociera-e-altoatesina_e545488f-e0f3-41c2-bc2c-d9b4bcecf523.html

9243ca8ed18673e9fe3bbcb112b73f7d.jpg

From elsewhere...

20230726_130026.thumb.jpg.d196465e59231476128f1abd97c6920f.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Lloyd555 said:

A few articles out today about the AquaDome. 

This article's image shows a  doorway to the wings.😜

https://www.ansa.it/amp/trentino/notizie/2023/07/25/la-piu-grande-cupola-in-vetro-per-navi-da-crociera-e-altoatesina_e545488f-e0f3-41c2-bc2c-d9b4bcecf523.html

9243ca8ed18673e9fe3bbcb112b73f7d.jpg

From elsewhere...

20230726_130026.thumb.jpg.d196465e59231476128f1abd97c6920f.jpg

what a great view that will be!

12 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

It better drop or nobody will be able to sail her.  We booked the night she opened and our cabin has doubled in price since then, never did I think I'd have to be paying approximately 6K plus change for a balcony.  And that is the cheaper month of Sept.  Thank goodness we booked when we did.  It will be the most expensive cruise ever for us with Alaska in a primo aft balcony on Solstice costing half of the current quote for a central balcony, infinity at that!  I think she'll be worth it but probably only once.  Our current Allure balcony gty only cost us $1449 out of Galveston.  For what they're quoting I'd expect a Crown Loft.

Ditto, we booked right away and got a D4 balcony for $2700~. Similar cabin is now $5900.  I'd never pay that.

• Like 1

We booked 2 rooms for March of 2024. One balcony and one inside room. 2 people in each room. Total was around $6,800. Same cruise is now nearly $20k. Yep, you read that right! $20k! Anyone want to buy it off me for $15k? That’s a $5k discount! LOL!

• Haha 3