Surprising My Family

Kind of a weird question but here goes.  My family(Wife and two kids 14 and 12) and I vacation about 3 times a year.  Every vacation I have some sort of surprise planned like a new activity(Indoor Sky Diving) or surprise traveler(Cousins showed up on trip to Disney).  They have gotten used to their being a surprise but never know what it might be.  We have an upcoming cruise booked at the end of the summer that we are all very excited about.  When I initially booked I booked two connecting inside staterooms but a few weeks later I found the price dropped and I booked two Balcony state rooms for a total of $400 more for the week.  I immediately booked it but didn't tell anyone.  As a family we have been on around 5 cruises and have never had anything but inside staterooms. Now onto the question.   I want to keep this a surprise to all of them right up until they open the door to the room.  My biggest worry is at check in.  During the check in process does the check in agent mention the type of room you are in?  It would be easier if I told my wife before hand but I wanted it to be a surprise for her too.  Any suggestions on how I can keep this secret until we enter the room?

18 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Unless you are in a suite, which gets a different color SeaPass card, the check-in people have no thoughts about your cabin type.  🙂 

great thank you!

Someone on our cruise won a bid-up to balcony and decided not to tell her husband. They went through the entire check-in, luggage tag affixing, and boarding process without him knowing. He was quite happily surprised when they opened the door!

I surprised my husband several years ago with our first balcony cabin. I saw a price drop and was able to upgrade for only a few dollars. I didn’t want to tell him because he has a fear of heights and it takes him a while to adjust to being on a balcony. I knew he would worry the whole time prior to the cruise if he knew in advance. 

He didn’t figure it out until we were on board and walking down the hall towards the cabin. He realized that our cabin was even-numbered and the even numbers are outside cabins. He momentarily freaked out that he would have to go out on the balcony but got over it quickly.Now a balcony is a must for us. 

13 hours ago, bmatrose said:

Kind of a weird question but here goes.  My family(Wife and two kids 14 and 12) and I vacation about 3 times a year.  Every vacation I have some sort of surprise planned like a new activity(Indoor Sky Diving) or surprise traveler(Cousins showed up on trip to Disney).  They have gotten used to their being a surprise but never know what it might be.  We have an upcoming cruise booked at the end of the summer that we are all very excited about.  When I initially booked I booked two connecting inside staterooms but a few weeks later I found the price dropped and I booked two Balcony state rooms for a total of $400 more for the week.  I immediately booked it but didn't tell anyone.  As a family we have been on around 5 cruises and have never had anything but inside staterooms. Now onto the question.   I want to keep this a surprise to all of them right up until they open the door to the room.  My biggest worry is at check in.  During the check in process does the check in agent mention the type of room you are in?  It would be easier if I told my wife before hand but I wanted it to be a surprise for her too.  Any suggestions on how I can keep this secret until we enter the room?

That is such a lovely idea - I do hope it all works out which I’m sure it will! 😊

11 hours ago, Allura_317 said:

Will they be able to tell before they enter the room based on which side of the hallway the room is in?  Great idea though, and I hope it works out!

Yes.

Think about it, if you are in the starboard hallway, and the room is to starboard of that, it much be at least an ocean view.  And the deck will give that away.