What Is Going On with Ovation?

We are another couple who love quantum class. Anthem and ovation are our favourite ships and faced with an identical itinerary on different classes of ship I would choose quantum class every time. We are on ovation again 2 weeks today.

our first cruise was on Norwegian Epic which we enjoyed. 2 years later we booked anthem on her maiden season from Southampton - we didn't just enjoy it - we were blown away! To us it was a real step up from Epic. We have sailed royal ever since.

I am also in the minority who wish for the return on dynamic dining!

Forget the reviews and enjoy Ovation!

1 hour ago, bigque said:

Man our first cruise back in 2008  was on Sovereign of the Seas. It was before I found out about this forum so I was read reviews from that same place. People that has been around for a while probably remember the reviews that Sovereign use to get back then. After I booked the cruise I thought what was I getting myself into because just like what you are reading it would be 20 bad reviews then there would be 1 good one or on “it’s just alright” review. Well we went and had the time of our lives and it turned us on to the love of cruising. I came real close to canceling that cruise back then but we were glad I didn’t. Like someone else has said I too didn’t read anymore reviews in that section after that 1st cruise. I have written some of my own reviews here in this forum with links in my signature block and  I try to keep it real. For the most part I think you find more balanced reviews here in the forum. 

Ironic thing I remember 20+ yrs ago on Cruise Critic when they'd say Sovereign/Majest, (and then Vision Class) were too big. Ships with 2000 passengers were too Crowded, no one would ever want be on ship's that big...

Edited by ONECRUISER

41 minutes ago, Greyt1 said:

Yes, we were told something along these lines (about the stillness of the water and going under the bridge at a specific point). However, what most folks were wondering was why did this not come into play much earlier. It wasn't far from sail date that passengers received a message on this change. It was simply the final straw, of sorts, of much a changed (within the last few months) port of call itinerary. Victoria is a lovely island, and to have it shortened to an almost worthless stop was unexceptable. 

The pilots association came out with new recommendations for going under the bridge while the ship was in or Leaving Hawaii.

We were planning dinner two weeks before sailing in Chops for a group of CCers and decided to change our plans when it became apparent we wanted to be up on deck going under the bridge.

3 hours ago, Greyt1 said:

...Victoria is a lovely island, ...

Victoria, the capital city of British Columbia, is on Vancouver Island (not to be confused with the city of Vancouver, which is on the North American mainland). There a Victoria Island in Canada (as well as numerous other Victoria Islands around the world); it is located in the Arctic, is the eighth largest island in the world, has a population of just over two thousand and is several thousand kilometers from the city of Victoria, BC. Unless one is a fan of Arctic tundra, perhaps not considered lovely. 

• Like 1

We were told it was a new regulation, rather than recommendation...in other words, RCI didn't have a choice. But of course, I could have missheard, too. 

We, too, were on deck for passing under the bridge. It was a pretty neat event In which to be a part!! Loved the horn blowing from the ship. 

I just watched a YT video of the ship. It looks Amazing. Why am I taking X Millennium to Alaska next year ? I want to try a mega ship but I can't stand crowds or kids 😂. The shows and the restaurants would be worth the trade off. Ovation is cheaper then my X cruise but my X cruise includes gratuity, tips & wifi. 

On 5/29/2019 at 12:37 PM, BHappy2Day said:

The majority of reviews of this new and technology-packed ship are very negative, and the reviews are not on par with other ships.  Much of the criticism is focused on ineptitude of the staff.  

We've read numerous positive reviews of Ovation.  We'd second the vote on it being a great ship - including the staff.

Our Ovation cruise 6 months ago out of Sydney to New Zealand was stellar. The ship was great, the food great, the ports wonderful, and the staff solid. If history is any teacher...some people post personal agenda posts of negativity for a range of reasons...non of which actually reflect what the person right next to them might experience. The world is full of naysayers and negative people, and they tend to post most often.

Rest assured that Ovation is well-staffed. Out cruise on her resulted in 10 days of outstanding experiences, photos, and memories.

121218 A1 OVATION of the SEAS_Morning arrival Sydney Port.jpg

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

We are booked for a 2 week Asian cruise in 2021 and after reading the many reviews here and elsewhere, we are considering cancelling it.

I too, am under the impression of more complaints than not, about the Ovation.

One area of particular concern is the quality of food.  I am left with the feeling that several food venues purchase their food from a "7-11" commissary and that it is not hot, nor satisfying.  I don't want to spend two weeks on the Ovation eating Hot Dogs.

Please reassure me that there IS a good selection of foods served aboard.... AND that they are of decent quality.

I am not expecting 5 star foods, but something a little better than Carnival Line.

Thanks to all for their reviews and opinions.

1 hour ago, pratzert said:

Please reassure me that there IS a good selection of foods served aboard.... AND that they are of decent quality.

Food is completely subjective, but we had no issue with any of the offerings.

On 6/4/2019 at 9:55 AM, carlosalonsor said:

One way to know "what is going on" is with the Cruise Planner...

Does anyone has the Cruise Planners for the 7 night Alaska Cruise? I've only found the 11 night ones.  

google  www royal caribbean blog to select all ships

https://issuu.com/hochmania/docs/ovation_day_1-merged-compressed

Edited by AlanF65