Can you take luggage on Buses in Barcelona?

Misself

Hello

I am staying near Placa de Catalunya and to save pennies was looking at getting either the S9 or V13 bus down Las Ramblas and then hopping on the port bus (also just for the sense of adventure 😉  ha ha)   Would there be an issue with taking a suitcase on the bus?   

Or would a taxi really not be much more and worth it for the convenience of door to door transport?

It's only a one minute walk to the bus stop and then I'd just need to cross the road to get the port bus, (which I've done before), so quite happy to do this and save the money of a taxi (as I'm travelling on my own so no one to share the cost with).  But not if the bus driver will be grumpy with me....

Thanks

Edited by Misself

No problem. The last time we were there we took the bus from the airport to Placa Catalunya. We had two large suitcases. Then walked to our hotel from there. Only 5 Euros if I remember correctly. 

There are no issues taking your luggage on the bus providing you can easily handle your own cases. I would just caution to take care in watching your belongings as thieves do target public transportation.

I think the poster above is talking about the airport transfer bus to p Catalunya which is purpose built for large amounts of luggage

I think ordinary service buses around Barcelona would be a different issue with luggage unless it was a very quiet time 

I would be sure that the port bus would be fine.  

I cannot for the life of me recall why I did this, but last time we went to BCN we took our luggage on the Metro between the train station and our hotel.  The luggage was not heavy but there were lots of stairs.  It was utterly stupid.  Taxis were plentiful.  

As we came out of the metro station it was raining and we had a short walk to our hotel.  The length of any journey doubles when you cannot carry an umbrella because you are trundling your luggage!!

• 1 month later...

Perhaps to help you in your decision, our taxi ride from our hotel near Placa Catalunya right to the port cost 20Euros.  Depending on how many travellers are in your party, the taxi could work out to still be cost effective and definitely less hassles.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2019 at 7:31 PM, strobellayjam said:

Perhaps to help you in your decision, our taxi ride from our hotel near Placa Catalunya right to the port cost 20Euros.  Depending on how many travellers are in your party, the taxi could work out to still be cost effective and definitely less hassles.

Agree...I'm not sure why in the larger picture some feel the need to try and save what ends up being such a small amount of difference between the two. After what is usually a long flight for most of us to then have to navigate and schlep luggage is beyond me when it's so much easier to hop in a taxi and get to your hotel.

Edited by Ashland
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Agree...I'm not sure why in the larger picture some feel the need to try and save what ends up being such a small amount of difference between the two. After what is usually a long flight for most of us to then have to navigate and schlep luggage is beyond me when it's so much easier to hop in a taxi and get to your hotel.

I did it once and never again.  When on vacation take a taxi.  

3 hours ago, suekay said:

My mother and I stayed at Hotel Continental near Placa Catalunya.  We walked down Las Ramblas and took the port shuttle bus without any problem

It's a beautiful walk and while we didn't hesitate to do it while exploring the city, I can imagine it may be tough if one has a lot of luggage to haul.  From my recollection from just a few weeks ago, it's approx. a 2 km (sorry, I'm Canadian!) walk down to the Christopher Columbus monument from Placa Catalunya. 

@Misself we are in Barcelona now and we've seen people bring all kinds of things on the local buses -- strollers, suitcases, beach chairs/umbrellas you name it.  You are travelling alone with just one suitcase so it shouldn't be a problem on the S9, V13, or any other local bus.

As mentioned by another poster I definitely wouldn't recommend the Metro with luggage as not all stations have elevators.

I am going to try and tie together the OP's specific question with the issue of personal security.  As many travelers are well aware, there is a pickpocket/purse snatching problem in Barcelona and much of tourist Europe.  Many of us who try and help folks will often advise that one take some precautions in how you carry valuables and always be aware (and alert) of your surroundings.  When you are trying to handle luggage (especially multiple pieces) your hands are busy and you have a major distraction.  This makes you a much easier target for street thieves (often Roma or gypsies).  And all this to save a few Euros.  Our advice is that if moving around Barcelona with luggage, get a taxi!

Hank

• Like 1