San Basilio cruise terminal accident Sun 2 June

Lynnewob

2 minutes ago, oddjob16 said:

San Basilio has never had a shuttle service. You can get there with a taxi or vaporetto. Marittima is not easier to get to, but I suppose they run a shuttle within the port like in Civittavechia. Last time we departed from Marittima we used a taxi, just like we would at San Basilio. No need for Azamara to give any other reasons for moving than San Basilio not available. 

There is a small shuttle that operates from the ship to the terminal building, from the video it looks like the area this shuttle turns in may have been damaged.

1 minute ago, oddjob16 said:

San Basilio has never had a shuttle service. You can get there with a taxi or vaporetto. Marittima is not easier to get to, but I suppose they run a shuttle within the port like in Civittavechia. Last time we departed from Marittima we used a taxi, just like we would at San Basilio. No need for Azamara to give any other reasons for moving than San Basilio not available. 

Sorry our posts crossed.  At least on our overnight we could have walked along the canal for an evening stroll.  I understand that Azamara probably had no choice this time but does that mean they will now use Maritima in the future since the announcement said that Maritima offers a "better experience"

4 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

The shuttle at Maritima is operated by the Port Authority - it only takes you from the ship to an area about a 5 minute walk to the People Mover.  Is there usually a shuttle bus at San Basilio ?

No. Taxi from Piazzale Roma is usually best option if going to San Basilio. I have not heard of shuttles there. The people mover from Marittima ends up at Piazzale Roma. Usually lots of taxis and buses there. 

2 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Sorry our posts crossed.  At least on our overnight we could have walked along the canal for an evening stroll.  I understand that Azamara probably had no choice this time but does that mean they will now use Maritima in the future since the announcement said that Maritima offers a "better experience"

Hopefully they will be back at San Basilio soon. Absolutely the best position for strolling into Venice. 

18 minutes ago, oddjob16 said:

San Basilio had a shuttle service last June/July, from the ship to the terminal. It was nominated as being for those who had mobility difficulties, but in practice the driver took anyone. It’s not far by bus, but quite a walk on foot.

In her original post about San Basilio, Bonnie specifically said the shuttle could not operate at present.

20 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

There was a shuttle at San Basilio last June/July, from the ship to the terminal (which is quite a long walk if you have mobility problems).

From ship to terminal building, yes, and basically for people with mobility problems. It is not a long walk if you are in normal shape. From San Basilio terminal to Piazale Roma there are no shuttles. Sorry if we had the wrong or different understanding of the term «Shuttle». 

Edited by oddjob16
  • Like 1

However this will turn out, I sincerely hope that Azamara will get back to San Basilio as soon as possible. The cruises ending up in Venice always have an overnight as part of the package. An overnight in Venice using the Marittima terminal is not the same. Far from it. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, oddjob16 said:

From ship to terminal building, yes, and basically for people with mobility problems. It is not a long walk if you are in normal shape. From San Basilio terminal to Piazale Roma there are no shuttles. Sorry if we had the wrong or different understanding of the term «Shuttle». 

Sorry if I was misleading. You’re right it’s not too far, but those with mobility problems will find it quite a long way especially in hot weather. For embarkation & disembarkation there is no other way to get from the terminal to the ship, unless you can walk.

10 hours ago, oddjob16 said:

Hopefully they will be back at San Basilio soon. Absolutely the best position for strolling into Venice. 

Totally agree with you.  We board Pursuit 6th July and with night on board in Venice hope it will be back at San Basilio.  Have used Marittima twice before and the People Mover has very long queues particularly in the morning (several thousand people disembarking some very large ships)  Second time we were on a cruise from Barcelona to Athens we didn't wait to use it and walked the distance.  Don't think I would enjoy that area at night either, so I'm not sure what Azamara means about it being more convenient.

5 hours ago, Westaussie said:

I'm not sure what Azamara means about it being more convenient.

I think we all know it is not more convenient than San Basilio.  Sadly when making changes the communicators let themselves down with communications that are not as genuine as they should be.  I really wish the spin doctors would spin away as they are doing Azamara absolutely no service at all in situations like this.

That said at least there was an option to board at Venice - maybe they have stretched than scenario as Maritime is more convenient than say Trieste!

Edited by uktog

Last Thursday in Maritime, with only Pursuit clients trying to get tickets for the People Mover, was a lengthy procedure.  The ticket machines takes both Euros and Credit Cards.  Many people trying to pay with Credit Cards took ages so the line moved extremely slowly.  There are 3 machines with instructions available in English but there was much confusion and people inline getting impatient.  It was easy to pay with Euros.  Each ticket costs 1.50 euros.  

3 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Last Thursday in Maritime, with only Pursuit clients trying to get tickets for the People Mover, was a lengthy procedure.  The ticket machines takes both Euros and Credit Cards.  Many people trying to pay with Credit Cards took ages so the line moved extremely slowly.  There are 3 machines with instructions available in English but there was much confusion and people inline getting impatient.  It was easy to pay with Euros.  Each ticket costs 1.50 euros.  

This is very true and, as you can imagine, even worse with huge ships in port. A tip for those overnighting in Venice or planning to travel to and from the ship on the same day is to buy as many tickets as you will need on your first visit to the people mover. They are not dated and only become effective when they are validated. We have passed long lines in the morning after an overnight in Venice by purchasing tickets the day before

And having been to Venice many times as a port of call and at the start of cruises I cannot see how anyone could say Marittima is a better location than San Basilio. We have only sailed once from San Basilio (on Azamara) and it was a dream compared to Marittima.

Bobal, that is such a good tip to buy multiple tickets for the people mover. Why haven't I ever thought of that? 🤔

Totally agree with other posters that San Basilio berth is much more convenient than Marittima. 

Having now sailed past the damaged dock at San Basilio, there is certainly more damage than expected, such that part of the roadway near the terminal is badly affected.  We ended up using a water taxi from outside our hotel to get to Marittima and were surprised we were able to check in early then waited for boarding to commence at 11.30. 

For info, the water taxi cost was €120 for eight of us, but was very convenient as the porters took our luggage direct from the taxi to the ship, rather than having to drag the cases along the dock to the terminal drop off. A very easy experience after all the worry beforehand about the changed dock location.

very happy with Pursuit as well.

Edited by Azamarajunkie
  • Like 3