QM2 Crew Hierarchy/Dining

AnnintheGarden

I am curious to know who is in charge of dining and wine on the QM2 - the crew hierarchy (chef and sommelier etc. to server).

Perhaps an experienced traveler will be able to explain. It is such an enormous undertaking with so many restaurants, buffets and teas. I would be so interested to learn more.

I apologize if this was explained elsewhere on another thread.

I think the kitchen and dining room have separate hierarchies - a waiter wouldn't be expected to substitute in a kitchen job.

This webpage describes the typical hierarchy in a cruise ship kitchen:

http://www.acclaindia.com/success-stories/cruise-ship-kitchens-the-way-to-the-top/

Which is similar to a "classic" kitchen brigade in any large restaurant kitchen.

What is the Kitchen Brigade?

chef-tree.jpg

Thank you @Underwatr — so the Food & Beverage Manager oversees that part of the madness on the QM2. Amazing. I wonder what that job is like and how long people stay in that role.

Has as anyone ever met the Food & Beverage Manager on their cruise? I wonder if he has nightmares about running out of Beef Wellington. What a huge operation.

If you attend the Captains welcome aboard reception ( usually on the evening of the first full day at sea) you'll be able to meet and talk to him personally.   You will also have the opportunity to talk to other senior officers , either from the Hotel department  or the Bridge. 

You'll need to stand in the centre of the Ballroom floor and 'mingle' ! . If you turn on your charm you might even be lucky and receive an invite to an officers hosted table. It always amuses me when some guests have no interest in interacting with the ships officers when at these events, yet are prepared to sit in a corner and sup as much free booze as possible , oh and order another glass of wine or the cheap fizz and carry it back to their restaurant table  

• Like 1

Just to add to my post above, if you are interested in the full operation of the F&B department there will be an opportunity for a tour of the ships galley and meet the executive chef and his team. The tour is free and takes about half an hour,  you will find more about it in the ships daily programme .

Occasionally Cunard offer an extended tour of all the departments that make up the entire operation . It usually takes about four hours , however, there is an additional charge for this. Enquire at the tours office to find out if it's scheduled on your particular voyage. 

17 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

If you attend the Captains welcome aboard reception ( usually on the evening of the first full day at sea) you'll be able to meet and talk to him personally.   You will also have the opportunity to talk to other senior officers , either from the Hotel department  or the Bridge. 

You'll need to stand in the centre of the Ballroom floor and 'mingle' ! . If you turn on your charm you might even be lucky and receive an invite to an officers hosted table. It always amuses me when some guests have no interest in interacting with the ships officers when at these events, yet are prepared to sit in a corner and sup as much free booze as possible , oh and order another glass of wine or the cheap fizz and carry it back to their restaurant table  

Those folk you mentioned in your final sentence would be very disappointed at the 'Welcome' CTP on my last Cunard 'cruise' onboard Queen Victoria.

The service was dreadful on the 'dance floor' and even worse for those sitting down.

👿

Hi Richard

I noticed last year on QE, just before they were setting up the Queens Room for afternoon tea, two of the staff wheeled in a trolley full of Spumante on the day of a cocktail party. Can the fizz get any cheaper?

It's much better (if we go at all) to be known by some of the senior officers, such as the F and B manager, and ask them to organise a proper drink(s).

Incidentally, Anneinthegarden, we have dined with one particular F and B manager whom we have known for quite a few years. Last November, he wasn't hosting a table, but instead, invited us to meet him for drinks after dinner in the Commodore Club courtesy of Cunard.

Stewart

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 8:20 AM, AnnintheGarden said:

Thank you @Underwatr — so the Food & Beverage Manager oversees that part of the madness on the QM2. Amazing. I wonder what that job is like and how long people stay in that role.

Has as anyone ever met the Food & Beverage Manager on their cruise? I wonder if he has nightmares about running out of Beef Wellington. What a huge operation.

I've had dinner with a few Food and Beverage managers and asked them that very question. They don't worry about running out of caviar, they worry about running out of rice to feed the crew.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, giustot said:

I've had dinner with a few Food and Beverage managers and asked them that very question. They don't worry about running out of caviar, they worry about running out of rice to feed the crew.

On my 7 day crossing they ran out of bananas. I was quite disappointed. Yes, they had no bananas.

• Haha 1

So, having some experience with this (in a US Navy capacity), I can tell you that bananas are one of the most difficult fresh fruits to manage.  Their ripening and storage is finicky, at best, and usually they must be stored separately or their off gassing has substantial impacts on all the other fresh produce.

• Like 1