Princess Fined More and Again

cruzsnooze

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

You are right and I am wrong. So be it. 

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

A very stupid question and no sense asking it at all and has nothing to do with my post. How dumb, and just looking for a rebuttal and an argument. You will not get one.  "Does your town "dump" sewage in the ocean?  (I've asked that a few times, no answer)" Give it up.

One final note, and I will let you get back to your radios.  You admit that the definition of "dumping" includes the words "carelessly" and "irresponsibly", so I think my question regarding your town's waste stream is completely to do with your claim that all ships engage in "dumping" pollutants.  Please elucidate me on the "careless" and "irresponsible" ways that ships get rid of pollutants.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Give this some thought. The dumping was not a problem at all. It was where it was dumped. Dumping in the ocean is quite legal but It must be done where it is permitted. Why they did what they did, they are the only ones that know that answer. I will continue to cruise as usual.

You were corrected on this "thought" in another thread as well, so why you continue to say this is quite bizarre.  Princess was originally busted for dumping oil.  Oil, along with plastics cannot be dumped anywhere in the ocean. 

Edit...I quoted your post before reading Chengkp75's responses.  I'll still leave my response though because you insist on arguing with him.    

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 4

On 6/6/2019 at 5:06 AM, Griller said:

When this news hit the stock market yesterday stockholders lost much much more than the $20M fine as the share price sharply dropped.

Not sure that's not completely due to the fine. I have a feeling it's mostly due to Cuba cruises being axed... NCLH is down quite a bit too due to that.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2019 at 3:06 AM, Griller said:

What I would like to know is whether this dumping in the Bahamas of plastics etc was an accidental act by a badly trained low level employee, or part of systematic criminal acts ordered by a high level ships  officer?

We learned from the oily water dumping case several years ago ( disgruntled officer whistleblower brought that to light) that ships officers can earn bonuses for all sorts of cost saving measures , legal things like reducing fuel burn for example,  and  other  measures like  reducing land based disposal of oily waste via ocean dumping through  the Magic Pipe.

It seems that the company are only interested in the cost saving, will pay bonuses to senior officers who achieve it,  and don't ask hard questions about how it was achieved.

Is this a further example of greed taking precedence?

When this news hit the stock market yesterday stockholders lost much much more than the $20M fine as the share price sharply dropped.

Yes it will no doubt come back like it did even from Costa Concordia disaster, but the shares have been having a rough time recently. $1 up some days, $1.50 down the next, I am down about 3% this year and didn't buy anywhere near the top. And I am not talking 100 shares.

Huh....my shareholder OBC stayed the same.  🤔

I would venture to say most did not purchase for performance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tntornadox said:

Not sure that's not completely due to the fine. I have a feeling it's mostly due to Cuba cruises being axed... NCLH is down quite a bit too due to that.

And Royal Caribbean stock also took a beating that day.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 10:32 AM, twodaywonder said:

Give this some thought. The dumping was not a problem at all. It was where it was dumped. Dumping in the ocean is quite legal but It must be done where it is permitted. Why they did what they did, they are the only ones that know that answer. I will continue to cruise as usual.

Actually dumping plastics in the ocean is illegal every where. See MARPOL Annex V the ban on dumping plastics in the ocean is a complete ban.

See the summary at http://www.imo.org/en/OurWork/Environment/PollutionPrevention/Garbage/Documents/Simplified overview of the discharge provisions of the revised MARPOL Annex V.pdf

• Like 1