Our first Much longer cruise

rucrazy

8 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

use a mail service who holds our mail or mails it if we request

I'm curious about this.  We have everything else covered (neighbors with keys, all watching the house, yard work hired out etc.) but we're debating about getting a Post Office Box.  I've talked to the local PO and they will hold our mail indefinitely for a price (we'll be gone 75 days). Forwarding to our daughter would be possible too, but she lives 30 minutes away (Seattle) so it wouldn't be quite as convenient.  What service do you use?

4 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I'm curious about this.  We have everything else covered (neighbors with keys, all watching the house, yard work hired out etc.) but we're debating about getting a Post Office Box.  I've talked to the local PO and they will hold our mail indefinitely for a price (we'll be gone 75 days). Forwarding to our daughter would be possible too, but she lives 30 minutes away (Seattle) so it wouldn't be quite as convenient.  What service do you use?

We too have neighbors with keys etc... as far as the post office I understand that you can put a hold mail up to 30 days on line but if you need longer you are advised to stop by your local post office that serves your home and speak to a supervisor about extended holds..

19 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

My advice is don’t pack too much.  Remember you can do laundry and you have to be able to manage all the suitcases getting on and off the ship and airplane if you fly. 

Thanks for the advice.. we HAVE learned about packing over the years...luckily for this major cruise HAL offers free luggage pickup and delivery from our home..

And at this stage we always hire porters

3 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

We too have neighbors with keys etc... as far as the post office I understand that you can put a hold mail up to 30 days on line but if you need longer you are advised to stop by your local post office that serves your home and speak to a supervisor about extended holds..

Right -- we've used the 30-day hold before, but according to our local post office, the only other choice is to get a post office box.  I'm looking for other choices -- really don't want to bother a neighbor to pick up our mail for that long.  The good thing is that the manager I spoke with told me there would be no problem tossing all the "junk" mail.  😁😁

17 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Right -- we've used the 30-day hold before, but according to our local post office, the only other choice is to get a post office box. 

It was my understanding that mail holds are the same for residences and/or PO BOXES (we had one for years)

I use a box at a UPS Store.  There is some mail that comes to the house and I can forward most of it to the UPS store.  I then put in a hold request 30 days before returning home.   There are a few things that can't be forwarded which is a bit of a hassle (where the return address says "Address Service Requested" it's misleading but means they won't forward the mail.  For me that means primarily stuff from the Motor Vehicle Agency which will neither allow me to forward the mail not use the UPS store address.  Fortunately, I now also get email notices from the MVA.  BTW, I'm just thinking, check your drivers licenses expiration dates and any other pertinent expiration dates before you leave.

Roy

10 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

It was my understanding that mail holds are the same for residences and/or PO BOXES (we had one for years)

Interesting.  When I spoke to the manager, she understood that we would be gone for 75 days and said there would be no problem if we got a PO box.  I do see that in the form she gave me it does say "We encourage you to empty your box regularly.  You can make a special arrangement with the postmaster if you are not able to pick up your mail.  Complete PS Form 8076, Authorization to Hold Mail, or create your request online at usps.com, and we'll take care of it."  

She assured me she would take care of it.  Good to look at all options...

I will admit to not reading all the responses...

One of my biggest gripes is the redundancy of the menu in the dining room in the evening. On a long cruise, one gets the opportunity to try everything on the menus (yes, that is plural). Unless something really grabs you, it gets sorta ho-hum.

One of the things that we like (and dislike) in Canaletto is some of the same favorites (Veal/sage thing - I forget the name, but it is good on my tongue, with some grape juice) and then they change things. It used to be that they presented a tray of antipasto-type things and no more Osso Bucco. All gone.

Yeah, the daily grind of doing the same thing is boring to some folks; but, that is my home routine. The idea of occasionally getting to new places (and then bragging about them once we get home!) is enticing.

Remember to take lots of photos, so that your kids and grand kids can moan and wonder what, who, when and where!!

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

We use a small company in our hometown.  They have about 15 boxes they rent by the year.  They are like a UPS store and a gift shop put together and are locally owned.   We tried forwarding to other people but when the mail really piles up we felt guilty.  The other thing I like about the place we use is they throw away the obvious junk mail and they will go through my mail if I ask to look for something in particular.   They also have the capability to open and scan anything I need to read but not have physically in my hands.  

There are several companies that offer a similar service, some nationwide.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I use a box at a UPS Store.  There is some mail that comes to the house and I can forward most of it to the UPS store.  I then put in a hold request 30 days before returning home.   There are a few things that can't be forwarded which is a bit of a hassle (where the return address says "Address Service Requested" it's misleading but means they won't forward the mail.  For me that means primarily stuff from the Motor Vehicle Agency which will neither allow me to forward the mail not use the UPS store address.  Fortunately, I now also get email notices from the MVA.  BTW, I'm just thinking, check your drivers licenses expiration dates and any other pertinent expiration dates before you leave.

Roy

I have my mailing address set up with everyone and never had any problems having it delivered there. The only thing with  my physical address is my drivers license and that causes a few issues with people wanting to mail something to that address - those things get returned to the sender because we no longer have a mail box. 

On 6/6/2019 at 7:57 AM, rucrazy said:

How funny that is the exactly the cruise we are talking about but only in 2021.. we are doing the holiday 14 day cruise and staying on board for the 74 day South America Cruise..

My bucket list includes Antarctica

Are you doing the SA in 2020 or 2021?  If you are doing it in 2021 you might want to ask if the ship is going to be able to go south of 60 degrees.  The IMO regulations have changed effective 1/1/21, and I don't think HAL  has a class 6 ice breaking ship.  Check out the thread on this forum for the new rules.

1 minute ago, Tampa Girl said:

Are you doing the SA in 2020 or 2021?  If you are doing it in 2021 you might want to ask if the ship is going to be able to go south of 60 degrees.  The IMO regulations have changed effective 1/1/21, and I don't think HAL  has a class 6 ice breaking ship.  Check out the thread on this forum for the new rules.

We set sail January 4th 2021

Just now, rucrazy said:

We set sail January 4th 2021

Better read Seadog45's thread on the new icebreaking regs, and then call HAL.  You said that Antarctica is on your bucket list.  However, I made a mistake in my first post here.  The final date will be January, 2022, not  2021, for those ships whose 5-year certificate is still good on that date.  We are on the Zaandam SA/Antarctica for this December, and we booked it because of these new regs.  Apparently Zaandam's certificate runs out sometime in mid-2020, so the Westerdam will be doing the SA/Antarctica the following year.  Apparently the Volendam's certificate will still be good in January, 2021.

5 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Better read Seadog45's thread on the new icebreaking regs, and then call HAL.  You said that Antarctica is on your bucket list.  However, I made a mistake in my first post here.  The final date will be January, 2022, not  2021, for those ships whose 5-year certificate is still good on that date.  We are on the Zaandam SA/Antarctica for this December, and we booked it because of these new regs.  Apparently Zaandam's certificate runs out sometime in mid-2020, so the Westerdam will be doing the SA/Antarctica the following year.  Apparently the Volendam's certificate will still be good in January, 2021.

Thanks I will follow up with HAL..

18 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Oh wow...that is sad.  Did the 2019 Grand SA and sailing through Antarctic waters and especially the landing on South Georgia were some of the major highlights of the cruise.  Unfortunately with the Prinsendam sell South Georgia is out for HAL’s future but sailing though the area was gorgeous and I’m sorry to hear that will change too. 

Regarding mail...

What is available to you really depends on how cooperative your local post office is.  Ours is very strict -- they will not extend holds any longer than 30 days.  (With the wiggle room that you have 10 days at the end of the hold in which to pick up your mail.)  Anyhow, they are strict, and I've never felt comfortable having the local private mail box companies hold all my accumulated mail and/or sort the junk mail out of it.

What we have done is first of all diligently call catalog companies to get off of mailing lists.  Between that and doing so much of our business online, the mail volume is cut back a whole lot.  Then...I go online and sign up for the USPS premium mail forwarding so that all of our mail forwards to our son.  He receives a big envelope once a week with everything in it and just lets it accumulate in a box.

The premium forwarding gets expensive on a long trip, but it takes the worry out.   We've tried lots of other methods, but nothing else has really worked for us.   Again, probably depends on your community and what's available there.

Just now, Wayfairers said:

Oh wow...that is sad.  Did the 2019 Grand SA and sailing through Antarctic waters and especially the landing on South Georgia were some of the major highlights of the cruise.  Unfortunately with the Prinsendam sell South Georgia is out for HAL’s future but sailing though the area was gorgeous and I’m sorry to hear that will change too. 

Yes, it is sad, but please note that I recognized in my last post that the date is January, 2022, not 2021, as the final date for non qualified ships to sail south of the 60th.  I am really looking forward to our Zaandam cruise this December, thanks to  SeaDog.  Otherwise I would have been sitting home, blissfully unaware that I had just missed Antarctica.

9 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Regarding mail...

What is available to you really depends on how cooperative your local post office is.  Ours is very strict -- they will not extend holds any longer than 30 days.  (With the wiggle room that you have 10 days at the end of the hold in which to pick up your mail.)  Anyhow, they are strict, and I've never felt comfortable having the local private mail box companies hold all my accumulated mail and/or sort the junk mail out of it.

What we have done is first of all diligently call catalog companies to get off of mailing lists.  Between that and doing so much of our business online, the mail volume is cut back a whole lot.  Then...I go online and sign up for the USPS premium mail forwarding so that all of our mail forwards to our son.  He receives a big envelope once a week with everything in it and just lets it accumulate in a box.

The premium forwarding gets expensive on a long trip, but it takes the worry out.   We've tried lots of other methods, but nothing else has really worked for us.   Again, probably depends on your community and what's available there.

I agree that the mail was a major problem.  Our PO kindly advised that if we would fill our three 30-day holds,(we were on an 89-day cruise), they would hold our mail for the full three months.  If you have a friendly neighbor or a relative that renew your 30-day hold, that should also work.

Oh, and don't forget any prescriptions that you might have.  You may need to get a vacation supply.

You will love the long cruise.  I concur with the others who have said that they didn't want to get off.  The ship becomes your home, and other passengers and much of the crew become  your family.  When we disembarked, DH said to me:  "I only want to go on long cruises henceforth!"  Lots of luck.  

For some really great advice, check out the World Cruise forum on CC.  I found it most helpful.  

Edited by Tampa Girl
Re the PO, it should have read: "fill out 3 holds"

On 6/5/2019 at 12:26 PM, rucrazy said:

We have sailed two 30 + day cruises...

We recently booked our first 60+ day cruise..

So this post is aimed toward those members who have sailed the longer cruises...

What advice would you have for the first timer?

Been on a lot including a 6 month one.....   

Here is my takeaway...... there can be too much of a good thing.   

In the beginning everything looks great, over time the excitement and energy begin to fade    I have found that even on a Luxury ship days past 28--32  You have had enough. 

Additional days are no longer exciting . Things become routine. there is no longer that spark of excitement you had at day 5 or 10.    Food  tasted not as good, ports were a blurr.   You move in a haze of detachment . 

Nothing is as much fun as the first weeks....and it gets no better the longer your out.

The desire to get off the ship and get back to normal grew by every day. past 28 for me..why  did I choose this?

My conclusion is  like dining is a fine restaurant...   several small courses are far more enjoyable than  many.

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

In the beginning everything looks great, over time the excitement and energy begin to fade    I have found that even on a Luxury ship days past 28--32  You have had enough. 

Additional days are no longer exciting . Things become routine. there is no longer that spark of excitement you had at day 5 or 10.    Food  tasted not as good, ports were a blurr.   You move in a haze of detachment . 

Nothing is as much fun as the first weeks....and it gets no better the longer your out.

The desire to get off the ship and get back to normal grew by every day. past 28 for me..why  did I choose this?

My conclusion is  like dining is a fine restaurant...   several small courses are far more enjoyable than  many.

I believe the amount of time you are happy traveling varies by person.  As I said earlier, we are routinely out 4-6 months and usually we aren’t feeling the need to get back home until the 5.5 month mark.  Others feel that way after a week, your limit sounds like around a month.  I work hard to keep things varied and interesting for us during a trip and special things scattered along the trip - that makes a difference too.  However, we learned on our very first long trip that you cannot be touring every day.  Some days have to be relaxation days, some days have to be catch up on paperwork days, etc.  We’ve found at least one day a week needs to be a down day, sometimes a couple of days per week if we are very busy the other days.  If you try to tour every day the days run together and you get worn out.

Edited to add:  The more I think about it, our longer trips vary in the type of trip.  For instance, next summer we cruise FLL to Amsterdam (TA), stay on board for the next 2 cruises to Norway & Baltic - all very different cruises.  Then we do a land trip on our own for 5 weeks, meet friends for a cooking school for a week, then a land trip for 6 weeks on our own (which may include a 10+ day guided tour), cruise back to Boston from Amsterdam, either take a train or rent a car or some combination of that to get back to FL making a few stops along the way to see things we have missed on previous trips and to see friends and family.  This trip will last mid April until late August or early September.

Edited by Wayfairers
  • Like 2

Count me as one of those people who never wants to get off the ship.  Once you've taken care of getting the bills paid while your gone, getting enough prescription meds, and having the mail taken care of, I forget about home until about a week before they force me off the ship.  Longer cruises have more included activities such as dance classes, watercolor class, tai chi, crafts, etc to go along with the normal trivia and enrichment lectures.  And lots of exotic ports.  I like to change up the dinning with trips to Canaletto and Pinnacle Grill plus meals ashore.  Consider an overland trip.  An overland trip might turn out to be a highlight of a long cruise.  My next challenge is trying to figure out how to get enough prescription meds for the 128 day 2020 world cruise.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Why on earth would you keep taking longer cruises then?  

I'm a port person, I can't get enough of seeing different parts of the world -- never could be boring! But we don't do the same cruises over and over, I can see how that could get "old" fast.  Combining with land travel also keeps it interesting and fun.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 4:08 PM, Tampa Girl said:

Please post what you learned.  And do read SeaDog's thread.  It is most informative.

The person I spoke with indicated that unless regulations change, this would be HAL's last voyage to the white continent.. if this is true so glad we are booked! 

2021 S.America and Antartica.pdf