QM2 Afternoon Tea - Table for 2?

lljost

Looking forward to our first Cunard cruise in September from New York to Southampton.  My husband has some slight communication issues so we have requested a table for 2, Second Seating for dinner but was wondering if there are tables for 2 for afternoon tea?  Thank you in advance for your help!

4 minutes ago, lljost said:

Looking forward to our first Cunard cruise in September from New York to Southampton.  My husband has some slight communication issues so we have requested a table for 2, Second Seating for dinner but was wondering if there are tables for 2 for afternoon tea?  Thank you in advance for your help!

No problem

Speak in confidence with your Restaurant MD, and they will ensure you have a nice table for two, at your time, on the day or days required.

On embarking, if your dining arrangement is not to your liking, go to your Restaurant and speak with the MD for another table.  FYI second sittings are not popular, so you may be lucky in first instance.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

16 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

We have shared a table at afternoon tea but it's not compulsory, you may just have to wait longer.

Rather than wait in a Q, just book in advance with your MD.

51 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Rather than wait in a Q, just book in advance with your MD.

For afternoon tea in the Queens Room ? I've not heard about that as an option but we don't go often.

2 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

No problem

Speak in confidence with your Restaurant MD, and they will ensure you have a nice table for two, at your time, on the day or days required.

On embarking, if your dining arrangement is not to your liking, go to your Restaurant and speak with the MD for another table.  FYI second sittings are not popular, so you may be lucky in first instance.

Thank you!  Will see the Maitr'D.  I appreciate your help.

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

For afternoon tea in the Queens Room ? I've not heard about that as an option but we don't go often.

I also was not aware that an option... I was under the impression it is first come first served and as soon as the doors open, people just take a seat at an available table before the service starts. 

To the OP... I have never had an issue getting a table, even just by myself, and have my preferred location and even table... I do tend to get there before the doors open though... 😮  😄 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, T5LHR said:

I also was not aware that an option... I was under the impression it is first come first served and as soon as the doors open, people just take a seat at an available table before the service starts. 

To the OP... I have never had an issue getting a table, even just by myself, and have my preferred location and even table... I do tend to get there before the doors open though... 😮  😄 

If one enjoys the ambience of a Q, then it's your Cruise and your choice.

Also, if the OP wishes to dine Al Fresco, even when there is no menu, just ask your MD.

To the OP,  the MDs on Cunard can make things happen.  It's what they do.  Cunard's MDs have fingers that reach places that other Lines MDs' can not.

OP again, please remember, MDs on a ship are actually officers with rank.

Hi, 

A table for two for afternoon tea on the QM2 should not be a problem. I recently did a crossing on the QM2 (April 28-May 5, 2019) as a solo traveler and attended afternoon tea most days. The small tables are set for four people, but there were plenty of tables only occupied by two people. I usually arrived about 15 minutes prior to the doors opening and waited in line. I always was able to get a table near the dance floor. On some of the days, I occupied a table alone. On other days, I joined other people. 

The afternoon tea on the QM2 is excellent. I highly recommend it.

Chuck

With reference to afternoon tea on QM2 which is different than QE/QV where the doors are closed and no access is allowed until they open the doors and then it is a matter of take your pick where you sit. There is always a queue and never known any tables to be reserved in advance or seen any tables with reservation notices on.

4 hours ago, Summergee said:

We have been in the Queens Room before they have started to set the tables. We have never been asked to move. Why not get there early then you will be able to sit where you wish.

Was that on QM2 because it differs from QE/QV as its not part of a walk through so doors are closed. We have sat in QE queens room before afternoon tea and have watched them set it up.

DH and I were on a crossing on QM2 November 2018.  The doors are closed while they set up the tables.  No one is allowed to stay.  There is usually a long queue before the doors open. They open on starboard side.

We usually arrived a bit late.  There was still a queue.  There was a waiter there who would look around and if there were only 2 at a table,  ask if someone could join them.  This happened every day of the crossing.  Seems this voyage had lots of tea people.  You could say "no" if you did not want anyone to join you.  We joined people at tables and had very nice conversations.  My husband is shy, however, somehow he changes on cruises.

If your is hard of hearing or there is another reason, just tell those joining and they will understand. 

Enjoy your cruise.

1 hour ago, VintageCCG said:

You are aware that "al fresco" means "outdoors"?

One is.

As a regular Cunard Cruiser, you would obviously know that occasionally Alternative Dining offers an "Al Fresco" menu, with a separate dining area set up to the rear of the ship.  This being, as you correctly stated "outside".

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Predictive

Fair enough ... and no, I hadn't been aware of that eventuality.

It hadn't been clear to me how your "al fresco" comment connected in context of a discussion concerning a separate 2-top table for afternoon tea in the Queen's Room, and about queuing at the door or grabbing a table prior to doors opening. But I think I get your meaning now i.e. that they might find a private table in that alternate location.

I withdraw my comment, with apologies.

And I guess I'd offer another alternative to ensure a separate table at teatime ... the couple could serve themselves the same items from the buffet in the King's Court and select their choice of table.
Minority opinion I know, but frankly I found the tea service in the Queen's Room a bit precious for my tastes anyway. I was just as happy to select exactly what I wanted, when I wanted, from the buffet rather than wait to snag whatever tab nabs happened to be passing by at any time. But that's just me as I acknowledge the tea service is popular with many other passengers.

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2019 at 9:28 AM, majortom10 said:

Was that on QM2 because it differs from QE/QV as its not part of a walk through so doors are closed. We have sat in QE queens room before afternoon tea and have watched them set it up.

Thank you for this bit of info. I'll be on QE for the first time soon, so it's good to know things like this. I remember sitting in the Queens Room on QE2 (where it was a walk-through area) and watching the set up for tea. Towards the end of her life, I recall seeing many books and sweaters (cardies) enjoying prime chairs in the hour before teatime. Do the chair hogs tend to do that on QE and QV?

5 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

One is.

As a regular Cunard Cruiser, you would obviously know that occasionally Alternative Dining offers an "Al Fresco" menu, with a separate dining area set up to the rear of the ship.  This being, as you correctly stated "outside".

As a regular Cunard customer, I've sailed only on QM2 not QV or QE, and I don't sail in the grills, so the al fresco option wasn't obvious to me. I'm afraid we "rowers" on QM2 have to just tough it out by queuing for tea on the Queens Room and dining indoors in Britannia.