Getting off boat in Dominican?

MeredithNC

All the news this week about the issues there not sure I even want to get off the boat.  Definitely not taking an excursion but if you have been there before did you feel safe at the carnival swim areas?

• Like 1

People at work are making fun of me because I'll be there in two weeks.  While joking that I'm staying on the boat, really I'm not worried.

I'm not David Oritz, which they are starting to say was a hired hit.

Won't be around any Bahia Principe resorts either.

While I'd love for them to find the cause etc, I'm more concerned with walking around Miami the night before my cruise than I am being in the DR at this point.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ishap said:

We are stopping there in October.  We will not be getting off the ship and just enjoying the empty pool during that time.

From the posts lately, it looks like you will not be enjoying the empty ship pool.  I'm reading a lot of posts where others are saying that they will just stay on the ship  😥

On 6/11/2019 at 9:24 AM, MeredithNC said:

All the news this week about the issues there not sure I even want to get off the boat.  Definitely not taking an excursion but if you have been there before did you feel safe at the carnival swim areas?

The Carnival built port area is very safe.  Not many shopping options, but a very nice pool and good restaurant.  I've been many times on Princess and Fathom ships.  It's fine.  Get off the ship and enjoy the pool for several hours.

We're cruising to Amber Cove in January.  My wife is kind of freaking out.  I hope things calm down by then.

I can imagine situations where I wouldn't be willing to leave the port area, but recent events in DR don't concern me at the moment.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 9:55 PM, kendon said:

The Carnival built port area is very safe.  Not many shopping options, but a very nice pool and good restaurant.  I've been many times on Princess and Fathom ships.  It's fine.  Get off the ship and enjoy the pool for several hours.

I watched a few videos on you tube from La Romano and didn't see a pool.  Did I miss it.  I would love if they had a pool.   Can anyone else verify for me...We are sailing on Carnival

Edited by Calyn2323

18 minutes ago, Calyn2323 said:

I watched a few videos on you tube from La Romano and didn't see a pool.  Did I miss it.  I would love if they had a pool.   Can anyone else verify for me...We are sailing on Carnival

I believe they are talking about Amber Cove port area.

• Like 1

I just read an article that there was another death at Terra Linda resort on June 13. 

We had planned on enjoying the pool at Amber Cove in October, however, we may just stay on the ship. 

And my response to the comments of how dangerous many US cities are is that, personally I would think if I'm staying at a 4* or whatever resort and do not leave the resort, I  have a higher expectation of safety than if I'm walking the streets of New York, Chicago, Miami, etc., at night. People are dying and getting sick at nice resorts, not just walking around in a potentially unsafe area.

• Like 2

While these deaths and illnesses at resorts in the DR are scary, and the response from the resorts and the DR Government a bit disingenuous, put a bit of perspective on the issue.  First, there were other guests at the resorts just before, the same time, and just after as these families who did not get sick or have a death in their party.  Second, some did not drink alcohol and still got sick.  Yet other guests drinking alcohol including the mini frig stuff never got sick.  From what I've read, all those getting sick and all those dying, did frolic in the ocean and pools.  So maybe they ingested something from that water that then interfered with they immune and digestive systems.  Speculation only.

Until toxicology reports come out,  we won't know the real cause of these deaths.

So go. get off the ship. enjoy the country. Just exercise some caution and restraint.

Cruising with my family of eight in November and stopping in La Romana where we've booked a tour.

I think the Dominican Republic should be removed from all itenerary for all cruise ships not only for the safety of passengers, but to send a message to authorities of the DR that hiding toxicology reports, lying, and making excuses for the numerous deaths and illnesses is unacceptable and inappropriate. We are talking about human lives and the DR should be showing concern, care, and a sense of urgency to get to the bottom of this, NOT covering it up. I feel that all Cruise lines should display concern for their passengers by pulling out of going to this Port for the care and safety of their passengers as well as to send a message to the DR that excuses and lies and covering up toxicology reports won't be tolerated. 

I am aware that the Cruise Lines have investments on the island, but regard for passenger safety should be first and foremost.Things may be handled more quickly and efficiently on the island if tourism was cut off. The excuses need to stop from the islands authorities and it would be nice to see some remorse for those whom have died and become deathly ill. This could have been our Mothers, Brothers, Sisters, or Children. 

• Like 2

While I agree with your sentiments regarding the lack of empathy and action from both the DR Government and the resort owners and managers, let me ask you how many cruise passengers have gotten seriously ill or died right after visiting a DR port? Unrelated to the typical "Montezuma's Revenge" illness from eating different foods or getting Noro from fellow passengers. Out of how many   thousands of cruise passengers there every week?

So with some caution and awareness and not venturing off the beaten path or scarfing down strange things or chugging out of open rum bottles being passed around  drinking unbottled water, you don't run the great risk of this happening to you or your family. 

On 6/18/2019 at 11:58 AM, pretzellover said:

Not sure what we will do4A6DAB40-E9CC-4728-B261-6D3CCEBB81B4.thumb.jpeg.827d4ff39146d6be48b9cd6e0efa2d0a.jpeg17179912-C7FA-42F6-A9D3-15B01FB0B546.jpeg.b625e648e0b99171840ad6d48afd6bc1.jpeg

C63CAB8C-611D-4BCE-AF24-D8B17CA6D330.png

BB608117-A624-43F0-9036-1B711F92AF1A.jpeg

D46F12B2-6E7A-4BC0-8909-668070836D7B.jpeg

I don't believe for a minute that the food served at the Amber Cove restaurant is carried on by Carnival.  We have been there four times and have eaten local seafood and other local dishes at the port, which were delicious.  Just drink canned soft drinks and bottled beer.

On 6/20/2019 at 1:09 PM, crewsweeper said:

While I agree with your sentiments regarding the lack of empathy and action from both the DR Government and the resort owners and managers, let me ask you how many cruise passengers have gotten seriously ill or died right after visiting a DR port? Unrelated to the typical "Montezuma's Revenge" illness from eating different foods or getting Noro from fellow passengers. Out of how many   thousands of cruise passengers there every week?

So with some caution and awareness and not venturing off the beaten path or scarfing down strange things or chugging out of open rum bottles being passed around  drinking unbottled water, you don't run the great risk of this happening to you or your family. 

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

I'm fairly well traveled and have spent extensive time in other countries including driving all over Mexico with a friend without ever becoming ill from food or water. So I understand what you are saying about caution. 

I just feel that a show of solidarity from the U.S. would print the authorities to move quicker at getting to the root of the problem with, "no more lies and excuses!" 

I think many Americans are more bothered by the complacency of the authorities. That complacency along with lies and excuses does not show concern and urgency in addressing the problem or human care and compassion for loss of humans lives. What they have shown in their statements is concern about their loss of tourism revenue. That does not send a very good message.

If authorities showed remorse, concern, and owned the fact that this was a problem that they needed to get to the bottom of with the upmost urgency, I think a lot of people would feel much differently and excersize caution which should be done anyways in a foreign country. But why should we as a country tolerate complacency and lies while lives are being lost? As long as we are lining pockets with American dollars then we are simply showing support for the behavior and excuses from the DR authorities.

Their are wonderful people in the DR and I always support the local people and their businesses when traveling. They don't deserve the loss of revenue. But I'll bet many of them also don't like the way this is being handled. I'm also aware that Cruise Lines have much revenue on many islands ports including the DR. But have we all become so complacent that revenue rules over human lives?

Edited by pambam
Error

I am beginning to look at possible Spring Break itineraries, and hoping to NOT go to Cozumel for the 5th (?) time.  I thought I found a date, price, cruise line and itinerary I liked, and then realized where Amber Cove was located.  I realize that it might be just fine to port there, but I will just look at other cruise itineraries.