Laundry question

We are going on a 7 day cruise and saw the $49 laundry package.  Has anyone used this on such a short trip?  Is it worthwhile?  How long does it take to get the clothes back?

Can they handle any special instructions such as line dry?  Can you add it during the trip and just pay  for the remaining days or would it change to per item pricing?   Deciding if it is better to pack light and sign up for the laundry service, or lug more stuff just in case.  Also are there any self service laundries ?  Going on the Zaandam.  Not that I plan to do any laundry personally on this trip, but just in case .

Self-laundries have been removed from the Zaandam.

I have never done the unlimited laundry, but I have paid $20 ($30 for cruises with either end in Europe) for the provided blue cloth bag stuffed full. If you get it in before 9am it will be returned the next day at turn-down or before. 

This is what I got in it:

1695757770_bagolaundry.JPG.263f5828e4e56c017395d558b597f56d.JPG

I calculated it would have cost about US$120 if priced by the item!

• Like 1

Since it's only a 7 day cruise, I would just pack light, and send one bag of laundry in the middle of the week - as crystalspin said, the bags hold a lot, and it would save you some money.  IMO the laundry does a great job. I always write "No creases in pants", "no hangars", and "cold water wash and cool dry please".  My requests are honored (I haven't been there to swear to the water temp. but I can tell you nothing has been damaged or shrunk) If you have something that absolutely has to be line-dried, I'd leave it at home.

• Like 1

We used the Unlimited Laundry package on our 14 day sailing on the Amsterdam this month, and it was totally worth it to us.  The turn-around time was never more than 24 hours, and sometimes it came back the same day.  What a relief to not have mountains of laundry to do when we got home.

The laundry does a great job, and your clothes come back neatly pressed and wrapped in tissue paper or on hangers. We asked for some items to be cleaned in cold water with cool dry.  

• Like 1

We were just on the Zuiderdam in June on a 14 day cruise and also did the unlimited laundry option which was the best thing ever and I miss it now that I’m home and have to do my own laundry.  A full bag is $30.  So it you do 2 full bags, it is cheaper to do the $49 package.  But with only 7 days how much laundry would you do, unless you want to travel real light.  If you are going to a hot climate, you may need laundry done. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kimlew said:

A full bag is $30.  So it you do 2 full bags, it is cheaper to do the $49 package.

Except in Europe and cruises with one end there, a bag is $20. Since OP said her price would be 7 x $7, her cruise is not in Europe.

Edited by catl331

I did the blue bag option last week. It left at 9pm and was back by lunchtime the next day ! I asked for cool wash , warm dry and everything came back the same size so I’m guessing it was honoured. 

Im getting to be quite the expert at squishing stuff into those bags 

• Like 2

We're doing a 17 night cruise in July originating in Rotterdam. The unlimited laundry package is $153. This seems out of line with the prices other posters are quoting. At the moment, HA's system is not allowing me to add the package to my shopping cart either. 

17 minutes ago, BigBee51 said:

We're doing a 17 night cruise in July originating in Rotterdam. The unlimited laundry package is $153. This seems out of line with the prices other posters are quoting.

In Europe and on trans-Atlantics it is $9 /day, elsewhere $7/day

Edited by catl331

31 minutes ago, BigBee51 said:

At the moment, HA's system is not allowing me to add the package to my shopping cart either. 

HAL's site is so screwed up since the last "upgrade" it is actually a surprise when something works the first time you try it! 😀

If I do unlimited, can I send in 2 separate orders on the same day?  1 needs cool wash and cool dry.  The other needs cool wash, warm dry.  Is that possible?  Thanks.

You only get one bag so I think this might be difficult.  We just got off Zuiderdam and was very pleased with the unlimited laundry service.  We had no problems with anything.  At home I only dry part way so things don’t shrink but we had no shrinkage or fading on any item.  They may automatically adjust the laundry wash/dry. It was the best thing and I miss the service at home. 

We are one day into our cruise.  Saved $60 per person by not paying the $30 each way to check a bag and just brought carry ons with just a few changes of clothes.  Sent our first bag to be cleaned last night around dinner time and when we came back from our day in port today everything was waiting for us in our room either on a hanger or nicely folded in a basket wrapped in paper.  This morning we sent our second bag.  Haven’t received it back yet but it is only 4:30 right now.  They said 24-48 hours, but the first batch was less than 24.  Paid the $49 for the unlimited.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kimlew said:

You only get one bag so I think this might be difficult.  We just got off Zuiderdam and was very pleased with the unlimited laundry service.  We had no problems with anything.  At home I only dry part way so things don’t shrink but we had no shrinkage or fading on any item.  They may automatically adjust the laundry wash/dry. It was the best thing and I miss the service at home. 

What do you mean you "only get one bag?" Unlimited for the cruise means what it says. We just got off Zuiderdam and on some days sent in multiple bags....no problem.

• Like 1

I believe the reference to "only get one bag" is that normally there is only "one" bag in your stateroom that gets replaced every time laundry is returned.  If you want to send out more laundry than will fit in "one" bag on any given day just ask your room steward for another.  "Unlimited" means just that, you can send as much as you want everyday if you want.

On 6/30/2019 at 6:38 AM, jvz said:

If I do unlimited, can I send in 2 separate orders on the same day?  1 needs cool wash and cool dry.  The other needs cool wash, warm dry.  Is that possible?  Thanks.

Yes.  We almost always send multiple bags (each with its own laundry paper) on the same day. Ask your steward for extra bags.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

• 2 weeks later...

To summarize our week of laundry - it was fabulous!  Every day we sent at least one load and some days we had two loads,  and always everything came back nicely pressed or hung on a hanger.  My Husband even spilled something on his jacket (a windbreaker type - not a suit jacket) and they washed that as well.  Best $49 we spent!   

• Like 1