Steakhouse - downgrading?

tortuga1975

On 7/7/2019 at 11:13 AM, tortuga1975 said:

I am just off the Carnival Magic after a wonderful cruise.  We always try to go to the steakhouse as a special treat and this cruise was no different.  Let me just start by saying that overall I had a wonderful dinner there and am happy we went.  This post is part question to see if things have changed, part complaint (a little one) and part heads up to future steakhouse diners so you’re not surprised like I was.

So, I couldn’t help but notice things were decidedly more casual at the steakhouse, and we were even there on second elegant night.  There were no table cloths, other guests were wearing jeans and we were in and out in an hour.  And just for reference, we ordered two starters with our meal, so there were that many plates to go through.

i guess I’ve always expected the steakhouse to be a experience on par with a Ruth’s Chris and this was more like a really nice Outback.  Is this the new normal for the steakhouses on Carnival? 

Prime Steakhouse on Carnival Magic has never had tablecloths since the launch in 2011 (predates American Table), jeans were allowed in the Supper clubs (predates Steakhouses), and price isn't close to Ruth's Chris (although I might prefer Fleming's).

Many upscale land restaurants don't have tablecloths.

Not sure what you were thinking?

23 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I’m wondering how much of your experience is just familiarity. The more you do something special, the less special it becomes. Special becomes normal.

Familiarity breeds contempt. 😆

We have eaten in the steakhouse on several of the Carnival ships, as well as on other lines. Generally speaking we have found Carnival's to be consistently better quality, although we have found variations in both the quality of food and service provided between cruises and ships. My favorite to date has been David's on the Pride, which we have been to several times. In addition to the food and service, we like the location and layout of that facility.

One thing I have noticed though, is the variation in the quality of the meat. I have looked through the Carnival site several times looking for their description of the meat, and can only find it referred to as 'premium' cuts. That is not a USDA grade. As someone who once cut meat, (years ago while in school) I look for quality in meats, especially when it is being advertised as 'premium'. I would prefer to know what I am paying an up-charge (premium price) for. I don't believe I have ever received a prime steak in any shipboard steakhouse. Choice is the best I believe I have ever received. On Princess I would almost believe it was Select. I doubt you would find anything higher than select in the MDR.

I am always surprised by the number of people who do not realize that there are five different grades given by the USDA. I am equally surprised by the number of times I have seen lessor cuts of meat advertised using terms like premium, perhaps in an attempt to represent what is being provided as more than it is. I had had several discussions with people about the ship board steakhouses, and have often found those with the most negative comments generally have the least amount of knowledge.

Anyway, the question I always ask myself is whether the up-charge represented a value over whatever the meal allowance is, that is contained in the fair paid for the cruise. With the exception of Princess, I have always decided it was, or I would have never returned. On Princess, I felt I received a 'good' meal, but a poor value if you get what I mean.

On the other hand, I would never rank any of the seagoing experiences as equal that of say a Morton's experience. I have dined in Morton's from coast to coast and have personally found them to be of consistent quality where ever located, and have always received prime cuts of beef. (I personally rank them above Ruth's Chris.) But I have also paid far more than the up-charge plus meal allowance for that experience.

As for how people are dressed, and whether or not there are table cloths or linen napkins, or the grade of stem ware and utensils, I suppose you could argue that it is all part of the experience, but to me the quality of the food, from the ingredients to prep and presentation coupled with the service given is the mark of the value received.

I try to never go into a situation with unrealistic expectations, and find I am seldom disappointed or offended, as so many seem to be today.

We are currently booked on a B2B on the Pride for this October/November (Bermuda followed by Journey), and plan to eat at David's again, and enjoy it. And no matter what happens, I will not leave hungry!

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 12:13 PM, tortuga1975 said:

I am just off the Carnival Magic after a wonderful cruise.  We always try to go to the steakhouse as a special treat and this cruise was no different.  Let me just start by saying that overall I had a wonderful dinner there and am happy we went.  This post is part question to see if things have changed, part complaint (a little one) and part heads up to future steakhouse diners so you’re not surprised like I was.

So, I couldn’t help but notice things were decidedly more casual at the steakhouse, and we were even there on second elegant night.  There were no table cloths, other guests were wearing jeans and we were in and out in an hour.  And just for reference, we ordered two starters with our meal, so there were that many plates to go through.

i guess I’ve always expected the steakhouse to be a experience on par with a Ruth’s Chris and this was more like a really nice Outback.  Is this the new normal for the steakhouses on Carnival? 

it's standard for steakhouse on land or water.  steakhouses are no longer the stuffy slow pace of yesteryears as they are trying to appeal to younger demographic and are modernizing.  Ruth's Chris restaurants has greatly expanded bar menu and remodeled to be bright, lively and inviting now and not geriatric pace anymore for dining.

We have eaten at the steakhouse on 3 ships so far, and honestly, the Magic was my least favorite.  Like other posters have said, the tables were too close, service was just ok and I know they don't enforce the dress code, but the family next to us was too much.  Dad was wearing a beach tank top, swim trunks and flip flops. The kids were wild and running around.  Nobody said anything.  Thankfully, they left when our apps arrived.  Food was ok- I also miss the old menu.  We did eat in the cucina twice on the magic and that was fantastic.  Food, service, all of it.  Going on the Breeze next month-booked one night in the steakhouse- fingers crossed.  

15 minutes ago, scmom77 said:

We have eaten at the steakhouse on 3 ships so far, and honestly, the Magic was my least favorite.  Like other posters have said, the tables were too close, service was just ok and I know they don't enforce the dress code, but the family next to us was too much.  Dad was wearing a beach tank top, swim trunks and flip flops. The kids were wild and running around.  Nobody said anything.  Thankfully, they left when our apps arrived.  Food was ok- I also miss the old menu.  We did eat in the cucina twice on the magic and that was fantastic.  Food, service, all of it.  Going on the Breeze next month-booked one night in the steakhouse- fingers crossed.  

Another vote for the Italian place over the Steakhouse on the Magic. $15 for that tomahawk pork chop is fantastic.

17 hours ago, FiredogCruiser said:

We have eaten in the steakhouse on several of the Carnival ships, as well as on other lines. Generally speaking we have found Carnival's to be consistently better quality, although we have found variations in both the quality of food and service provided between cruises and ships. My favorite to date has been David's on the Pride, which we have been to several times. In addition to the food and service, we like the location and layout of that facility.

One thing I have noticed though, is the variation in the quality of the meat. I have looked through the Carnival site several times looking for their description of the meat, and can only find it referred to as 'premium' cuts. That is not a USDA grade. As someone who once cut meat, (years ago while in school) I look for quality in meats, especially when it is being advertised as 'premium'. I would prefer to know what I am paying an up-charge (premium price) for. I don't believe I have ever received a prime steak in any shipboard steakhouse. Choice is the best I believe I have ever received. On Princess I would almost believe it was Select. I doubt you would find anything higher than select in the MDR.

I am always surprised by the number of people who do not realize that there are five different grades given by the USDA. I am equally surprised by the number of times I have seen lessor cuts of meat advertised using terms like premium, perhaps in an attempt to represent what is being provided as more than it is. I had had several discussions with people about the ship board steakhouses, and have often found those with the most negative comments generally have the least amount of knowledge.

Anyway, the question I always ask myself is whether the up-charge represented a value over whatever the meal allowance is, that is contained in the fair paid for the cruise. With the exception of Princess, I have always decided it was, or I would have never returned. On Princess, I felt I received a 'good' meal, but a poor value if you get what I mean.

On the other hand, I would never rank any of the seagoing experiences as equal that of say a Morton's experience. I have dined in Morton's from coast to coast and have personally found them to be of consistent quality where ever located, and have always received prime cuts of beef. (I personally rank them above Ruth's Chris.) But I have also paid far more than the up-charge plus meal allowance for that experience.

As for how people are dressed, and whether or not there are table cloths or linen napkins, or the grade of stem ware and utensils, I suppose you could argue that it is all part of the experience, but to me the quality of the food, from the ingredients to prep and presentation coupled with the service given is the mark of the value received.

I try to never go into a situation with unrealistic expectations, and find I am seldom disappointed or offended, as so many seem to be today.

We are currently booked on a B2B on the Pride for this October/November (Bermuda followed by Journey), and plan to eat at David's again, and enjoy it. And no matter what happens, I will not leave hungry!

Just curious as to what your thoughts are on the Wagyu steak that is now offered? 

I went to the steakhouse bar on the Dream this past May for a watermelon martini while my husband was getting ready for dinner. It was not busy, but you could tell the bar staff was not happy I was there. He practically threw the drink menu down on the bar with a huff after I'd already told him I was just wanting a watermelon martini and would then be leaving. It was the only negative moment of the entire cruise. All other staff were probably the best out of 6 cruises.