Some info on what NCL is doing to the SE & SF Suites on the Jewel-class ships

Turtles06

12 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

Why can't you pack and unpack your own suitcase? 

A butler once spent 5 minutes complaining to me  about some 'rich-*****' (as he described her)  who made him unpack for herself and her 3 children. He felt humiliated being required to perform this duty. I don't believe unpacking should be included in their duties and I certainly don't want some stranger going thru my un-mentionables !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kitty-sail said:

A butler once spent 5 minutes complaining to me  about some 'rich-*****' (as he described her)  who made him unpack for herself and her 3 children. He felt humiliated being required to perform this duty. I don't believe unpacking should be included in their duties and I certainly don't want some stranger going thru my un-mentionables !

See post number 10 above by pcakes

Another thing I noticed are the owner's Suites with 2 balconies will also Now be charged differently for deck 9 and 10. Deck 10 has the larger living area with the bump out for the dining table, and deck 9 does not have that. They will now be charging more for the deck 10 owner's Suites.

10 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

See post number 10 above by pcakes

So you are saying that you are disabled and therefore unable to unpack.  It's tough traveling alone, but perhaps the room steward would be able to help you in lieu of a butler.

2 hours ago, kitty-sail said:

So you are saying that you are disabled and therefore unable to unpack.  It's tough traveling alone, but perhaps the room steward would be able to help you in lieu of a butler.

I’m not saying anything. I specifically referred you to post number 10 by pcakes, who said he/she is disabled and requires that assistance.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 7:53 AM, PortFees45 said:

Why can't you pack and unpack your own suitcase? 

As I mentioned upthread, I am disabled.  I often travel solo, and while I am completely capable of packing and unpacking myself it takes MUCH longer than if the butler is hanging things while I am filling drawers. It makes quick work of what would take me two hours or more to do on my own. (Not that it is your business.)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kitty-sail said:

1.  Wow, what an unprofessional butler!  He definitely picked the wrong job and if he actually referred to another passenger as a "b****", he should be fired.

2.  You should really look into packing cubes - they will make your life so much easier!  No unmentionables flying around anywhere.

3.  I cruise at least 6 times a year in suites and I have NEVER had a butler even flinch in doing everything they could to assist me in ANY way.  In fact, I spend most of the time saying "I'm good, thanks!" and shooing them away.  I have been treated like a princess on my cruises and am still greeted by my past butlers with such genuine warmth when I see them again!  In fact, one favorite butler on the Gem has requested TWICE that he switch duties (NOT at my prior knowledge or request) so that he could be the butler for my cabin.

So, I'm thinking they are ok with my requests.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kitty-sail said:

It is not part of a room steward's duties to unpack for passengers. It IS included with butler service.

If butler service is eliminated on Jewel-class ships for accessible suites with the new changes, I will just have to continue to cruise in the Haven on Breakaway & B-Plus ships (which I do most times anyway.)  But I would definitely miss the Jewel class!  I also don't think it is good business for NCL to not offer ANY accessible accommodations with full butler service in their suite classes on the smaller ships.

24 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

I also don't think it is good business for NCL to not offer ANY accessible accommodations with full butler service in their suite classes on the smaller ships.

Just as it would not be good business if they didn't offer it to those in non-accessible cabins who are paying the same amount as the accessible cabin passengers in the same category.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Just as it would not be good business if they didn't offer it to those in non-accessible cabins who are paying the same amount as the accessible cabin passengers in the same category.

I think they could do it by making the accessible cabins on Deck 9 SM category vs. SN (since the accessible cabins are larger than the other Deck 9 suites) - but from the deck plans it doesn't look like they are going that way.

Does anyone know if NCL is changing The Haven Deluxe Owner's Suite to a 2-Bedoom Family Villa on The Jewel?  I was looking to book an Alaskan Cruise on the Jewel in June of 2021. I noticed that the floor plan has changed on The Haven Deluxe Owner's Suite with Large Balcony (Cat. H4, Deck 9, Cabin 9004) for sailings on or after 9/14/2020. They are now showing the floor plan for The Haven 2-Bedroom Family Villa. I called NCL twice and they were unable to answer my question. I don't want to book the wrong cabin. 

Thanks

cabin1.png

cabin2.png

1 hour ago, pcakes122 said:

I think they could do it by making the accessible cabins on Deck 9 SM category vs. SN (since the accessible cabins are larger than the other Deck 9 suites) - but from the deck plans it doesn't look like they are going that way.

If they charge way more for the SM category, I could understand, but just to give passengers a Butler because they are in an accessible cabin would be a really bad business decision.  

1 minute ago, NLH Arizona said:

just to give passengers a Butler because they are in an accessible cabin would be a really bad business decision.  

Did someone suggest that? 🙄

P.S. Probably best to drop the disabled debate & we can revisit when/if you become disabled and can speak from a less judgmental perspective.

7 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

Did someone suggest that? 🙄

P.S. Probably best to drop the disabled debate & we can revisit when/if you become disabled and can speak from a less judgmental perspective.

I am and wouldn't mind paying more for a cabin with a Butler, but I feel that everyone who pays the same, should get the same benefits.

Edited by NLH Arizona

2 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

I am and wouldn't mind paying more for a cabin with a Butler, but I feel that everyone who pays the same, should get the same benefits.

A quick browse through your post history indicates you are quite mobile despite your disability so that's great for you!

Again, not sure where anyone said accessible cabins should have a butler when other similarly-priced cabins do not.  Not sure how that even came up.

6 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

A quick browse through your post history indicates you are quite mobile despite your disability so that's great for you!

Again, not sure where anyone said accessible cabins should have a butler when other similarly-priced cabins do not.  Not sure how that even came up.

Things change.

You suggested changing the category to an SM and giving them a Butler.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.

Edited by NLH Arizona

22 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Things change.

You suggested changing the category to an SM and giving them a Butler.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.

And quickly!  Sorry to hear that.  The SM category is MORE expensive.  So that would make disabled folks pay MORE for a butler.  So I'm still confused at your argument?

On another note more on topic:  As a disabled person, how do you feel about no longer being able to cruise in suites (after the expected change) on Jewel-class ships?  I'm very interested on how you (and other disabled folks) are feeling about this!

Edited by pcakes122

On 7/24/2019 at 7:18 PM, kitty-sail said:

Does anyone know why NCL is doing this?  Four months ago on the Dawn, I heard crew gossip that butlers where complaining about the distance to these cabins as 'out of the way'.  Haven decks on the Gem are forward 14/15.  Depending upon the # of butlers servicing "Haven/Suite" guests, to travel down to rear deck 8/9 could pose an issue for help.  This may also be a way to cut back on staff or re-distribute help.

Look for the 'before" and 'after' option on the top of the 'suite' cabin listing.  I will be very upset if they eliminate my butler service.

I would believe the distance is a factor and that there isn’t a density of suites in that area.  It would seem to me having a butler support rooms adjacent to each other allows better service.  Our last cruise on the Dawn, if we needed the butler we could literally look out the door and find a butler or steward.  Service was spectacular as a result.

3 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

1.  Wow, what an unprofessional butler!  He definitely picked the wrong job and if he actually referred to another passenger as a "b****", he should be fired.

As a matter of fact, I did comment to NCL about this and thought his comments un-professional but I also felt sorry for him.

It seems that you treat your butlers with respect but there are  some countries where "Help" are treated very poorly and one can never be certain what is being said behind their back.

34 minutes ago, kitty-sail said:

As a matter of fact, I did comment to NCL about this and thought his comments un-professional but I also felt sorry for him.

I would hope you said something directly to the butler.  Personally, I wouldn't sit through a five-minute rant from a butler cussing about another passenger.  I would have politely said "I don't think this is any of my business and sounds like something you should address with the passenger or the Concierge."

Not sure why you felt sorry for him that a passenger asked him to unpack. It's part of his duties.

I also wonder what he said about you to other passengers!  Definitely sounds like a character issue to me.

• 2 years later...

Digging up this old post because it seems to be the most recent discussion on the topic…

Can anybody confirm whether or not the SN - Aft Facing Penthouse’s get butler service on the Gem? On the NCL site, it still says “most” get butler and concierge service. I recently upgraded, and told my wife it has butler service, and she’s very excited about that. I assumed it was a full blown suite with all the normal suite perks, excluding access to the Haven.

If anybody has any recent experience, please let me know. Thanks!

None of the Suites on the Jewel class ships have Haven access. The only exceptions are the four owners suites on decks 9 and 10 forward which are already H catagory suites. As for the SN catagory I can't provide a definate answer as to which cabins do have butler service, I can only speculate that the ones on deck 8 aft are the ones without it as decks 9 and 10 have suites both fwd and aft.

If they completely drop having aft penthouse suites with concierge, butler, embarkation/disembarkation, breakfast/lunch separate dining from the Jewel Class ships, it will be a game changer for us. That's the category we always sail. I don't care about Haven courtyard access, but the other amenities are why we choose it, but we love the aft balconies.