Teens and Diamond Club

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree. Maybe if the LA put out a policy if any diamond or above member brought others in the DL that are not member(s) and got busted by the DLC those member(s) would be denied access to the DL for the remainder of the cruise. Day or night.  

Good call my DS friend!  🙂 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Nice backpedal.  

The "system" doesn't create  problems, it's actually quite clear.  It's people who constantly try to beat the system that creates problems.  You say you don't care how someone gets into the Diamond Lounge. Really?  If you walk in and find it so crowded that you can't move, then find out that One Diamond took his 10 friends that he's cruising with in, I bet you'd care.  I care because it's a perk that I enjoy and am entitled to.  I want to be able to enjoy that perk in comfort.   When I'm pushed out by people who aren't entitled to that perk I'm not happy.  Why should I be?  

I never EVER assume that anyone in the lounge isn't Diamond.   But I also expect the Concierge to enforce the rules as set by the "system."  

Oh yeah...on Post 4 you say "can you not 'register' him as living with you?"  Not only does that violate the "system," but it likely violates the law!  How does Customs resolve someone claiming a minor as a legal dependent when they aren't?  How would that not red flag these people.  With all the discussion and concern about human trafficking in the U.S. I wouldn't try to claim a minor a legal dependent just so he can get into the Diamond Lounge.  

It wasn't a 'backpedal' .. it was a genuine statement that I didn't mean to offend anyone!

As far as people ( you're assuming it's a 'him' for some reason ) taking in their friends, then that is not my business - again by your comment I take it you're 'assuming' they're of drinking age etc but you're quite right when you say it's the concierge who should be checking - On Harmony they even have an extra person at the door for when the Concierge is away or busy dealing with someone! I'll go as far to say that I've met someone in a lounge who wasn't supposed to be there and they're now a very good friend of mine - remember the bit about not judging people? Don't forget this was all about a family wanting to take a child relative in with them and what was in my opinion a fairly harmless suggestion and even less of a issue when in said lounge!

But, yes I'll have to agree that the initial suggestion probably does have considerations to take with regards to customs and the like - I didn't think that what was on a cruise profile would link to such a degree!

Anyway, the lounges are what they are, occupied by people who have never caused any issues to cause any upset to anyone's cruise in my experience and generally a happy, free to do whatever you please environment and long may that continue!

Happy Cruising 

8 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree. Maybe if the LA put out a policy if any diamond or above member brought others in the DL that are not member(s) and got busted by the DLC those member(s) would be denied access to the DL for the remainder of the cruise. Day or night.  

I've posted further along about a very good friend who I met through another cruiser that wasn't 'entitled' to be there .. the only thing with your idea ( which I agree with too!) is that it was the concierge who let them in in the first place!

She was part of a family group ( 2 adults, 1 child ) and in a way was in an identical situation to the OP, a relative .. the only difference my friend is an adult! 

40 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

Our daughter will turn Diamond, due to my status, before she turns two years old in December. But she will have done a total of 65nts at sea by then, but not only on Royal.

Not sure if I will bring her into the DL, since I have seen the shape of the people getting out of the DL 😜

Thank you...😜

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's something else to consider with regards to 'should they - or shouldn't they?' ... 

What do people believe about people with Concierge lounge access (D+ and above) coming into a Diamond lounge?

I saw this very recently, as their friends were only diamonds and they wanted to spend the time with them, but within 15 mins or so they caused trouble for the server who was never seen again for the entirety of the cruise!

I'd be interested to see what people's thoughts on this were?  keypad on door, so let in via the Diamond guest I may add 

The point here is the crowding in the lounges these days. Many, many new Diamonds coming on each day.  Most times it is tough enough to find a seat for those that actually belong in there.  Seats taken up by those that do not qualify for that seat?  Issue?  Yes, it is for those that earned that C&A level.    

Solution?  Some years ago RCI came out with the "Diamond Vouchers".   You can still get your free drinks in any lounge outside the DL/CL/SL ....and sit with your non-Diamond family and friends.  Munchies?  Like you can't find food all over the ship?  

Edited by island lady

2 minutes ago, IzznOll17 said:

What do people believe about people with Concierge lounge access (D+ and above) coming into a Diamond lounge?

Not sure what you mean. D+ and above also have Diamond Lounge access. Suite guests that are not Diamond or above would have Concierge lounge access but not Diamond Lounge access. Bringing any guest into the Diamond Lounge is against the rules regardless of what other lounge they may have access to.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, blackshirt said:

Not sure what you mean. D+ and above also have Diamond Lounge access. Suite guests that are not Diamond or above would have Concierge lounge access but not Diamond Lounge access. Bringing any guest into the Diamond Lounge is against the rules regardless of what other lounge they may have access to.

And don't forget those pesky Pinnies!  😉  Oh the horrors if they want to go visit their friends in the DL.  😄 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, IzznOll17 said:

Here's something else to consider with regards to 'should they - or shouldn't they?' ... 

I saw this very recently, as their friends were only diamonds and they wanted to spend the time with them, but within 15 mins or so they caused trouble for the server who was never seen again for the entirety of the cruise!

I'd be interested to see what people's thoughts on this were?  keypad on door, so let in via the Diamond guest I may add 

We did a a B2B  cruise on the Freedom March 2019. We are diamond +. We preferred and used the DL over the CL. CL was like a closet. We get those choices for at least now on ships that still have a CL. The CL on the Freedom is going away and Cloud Nine and Seven Hearts is going to be converted into the Suite Lounge. 

Edited by davekathy

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

The point here is the crowding in the lounges these days. Many, many new Diamonds coming on each day.  Most times it is tough enough to find a seat for those that actually belong in there.  Seats taken up by those that do not qualify for that seat?  Issue?  Yes, it is for those that earned that C&A level.    

Solution?  Some years ago RCI came out with the "Diamond Vouchers".   You can still get your free drinks in any lounge outside the DL/CL/SL ....and sit with your non-Diamond family and friends.  Munchies?  Like you can't find food all over the ship?  

This this this THIS! .. I've alluded to this a few posts up, but in regards to dispensing with the lounges themselves and stopping pretty much all of the issues that've been discussed from the offset!

As per the norm nowadays, things were better back before they started messing with things!

Just now, davekathy said:

We did a a B2B  cruise on the Freedom March 2019. We are diamond +. We preferred and used the DL over the CL. CL was like a closet. We get those choices for at least now. The CL on the Freedom is going away and Cloud Nine and Seven Hearts is going to be converted into the Suite Lounge. 

Totally agree.  Though we adored the concierge (Rahul some years ago) we disliked the CL for the same reason.  Too small (crowded) and closed in feeling.  Loved, loved the open airy DL up on the VCL deck.  We did use the CL for coffee in the morning, and maybe after dinner cocktail when pax had emptied out.  Ahh...the good old days.  🙂 

6 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

It was more an example of how a contented lounge was disrupted by someone being brought in ( I wasn't aware of the co- access of D+'s ) and how it quickly turned sour! ie it's not necessarily the non entitled that cause people/staff issues!

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Should have the status showing when son was 18. Points/status he earned after 18 should not pass to you. 

My points show 1075+, but if I call C&A, I really have just under 600

That's what I thought. 

7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We did a a B2B  cruise on the Freedom March 2019. We are diamond +. We preferred and used the DL over the CL. CL was like a closet. We get those choices for at least now. The CL on the Freedom is going away and Cloud Nine and Seven Hearts is going to be converted into the Suite Lounge. 

Does that mean the CL won't exist anymore? and they'll join both the DL + the CL together in say, one of the bigger venues that are used later on in the evening for music and the like?

9 minutes ago, IzznOll17 said:

Does that mean the CL won't exist anymore? and they'll join both the DL + the CL together in say, one of the bigger venues that are used later on in the evening for music and the like?

No more CL period. I doubt it. On ships that currently don't have a CL it's only the DL for all those that are top tier members. 

Edited by davekathy

8 minutes ago, IzznOll17 said:

No more CLs when the ship converts to SL.  As in Freedom and Voyager class...the old CL location is taken out and converted to inside cabins, I think there were 4 or 5 of them put in that spot on Mariner when we were on in June.  SL is full suite and Pinnacles only. 

DL remains as a C&A venue for Ds and above..including D+ and Pinnacle.  

Edited by island lady

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

No more CL period. I doubt it. On ships that currently don't have a CL it's only the DL for those that are members. 

.. of which is can be overcrowded as we know~! 

I've said it for a while, irrespective of our levels, they want rid of it all and to simplify it all - like the vouchers of old and/or pre loaded cards from the offset!

Maybe they'll combine in a VCL or similar which have always been a great venue and allows people to mingle with whoever they like! It's a shame and yet another 'poorer' aspect to the product that's delivered by RCCL if you ask me!

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

No more CLs when the ship converts to SL.  As in Freedom and Voyager class...the old CL location is taken out and converted to inside cabins, I think there were 4 or 5 of them put in that spot on Mariner when we were on in June.  SL is full suite and Pinnacles only. 

DL remains as a C&A venue for Ds and above..including D+ and Pinnacle.  

kind of matches to what I think with regards to - making more money from the space - theory!

shame!

20 hours ago, IzznOll17 said:

definitely

this whole status thing is nonsense anyway! I got married last year and the 1st cruise my wife did she instantly gained my status .. so what's the difference?  he's a child, and they want to have their perks but probably don't want to leave him on his own. There's no harm in it .. seen it loads of times over the years people bringing adults friend/relatives into the respective lounges .. 

The difference is lying about where he lives. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IzznOll17 said:

.. of which is can be overcrowded as we know~! 

I've said it for a while, irrespective of our levels, they want rid of it all and to simplify it all - like the vouchers of old and/or pre loaded cards from the offset!

Maybe they'll combine in a VCL or similar which have always been a great venue and allows people to mingle with whoever they like! It's a shame and yet another 'poorer' aspect to the product that's delivered by RCCL if you ask me!

And that's one reason why I'm so adamant about members only in the DL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IzznOll17 said:

This is why I believe it's days are numbered! Other cruise lines know it's more complicated than it needs to be and easily abused because they're offering status matches to poach cruisers! Lets face it, once you're in the loop as such, and heading towards that magical status (whatever level that may be) you're less likely to jump ship so to speak!

I for one do not decide on a cruise line based on loyalty programs. I base my choice on what works for me whether it be price, itinerary, ports in driving distance or overall ambiance that each line provides. Jockeying for position in a loyalty program never enters the equation. The only perks that would interest me are the perks that save actual dollars like a balcony discount. Internet has become so inexpensive that the perk is now meaningless. Drink packages trump any lounge benefit that dictates a time frame and I will not let anyone do my wash for fear of damage or loss.   What I have learned is that I can have a vacation tailored to me if I am willing to jump around. That  is more important than any feel good freebies and emotional stroking. What I don't understand is bumping kids or spouses to  a status that haven't earned it. Now that doesn't mean that a spouse would be excluded from a lounge or special embarkation, or tender lines if they are booked together.  I think those who turn to on line dating sites to meet a potential spouse should add their Diamond + status to their profile. It could give you an edge if you are looking for someone who likes to cruise.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Haha 2