To upgrade or Not? From Premium to the Prem plus

Fogfog

So with YC we have Premium bev... and I noted the cost of the upgrade is essentially the cost of one drink off the connoisseur menu.

Have others done the upgrade and felt it worthwhile? Or have you been happy with the Prem package?

I am thinking single malt scotch, nice French wines... and a good champagne...after dinner drinks. 

Thoughts?

We've upgraded to Prem+ for our next 2 YC sailings.  I'll be finding out in 9 days' time if it was worth it and will be reporting about it (as well as other elements of the cruise).

I'm fond of Remy Martin XO;  I haven't tried Martell XO, so am looking forward to that, plus, with Johnnie Walker Blue Label costing €20 (plus 15% service charge) a shot, both myself and DH will certainly be giving it a try (though we both prefer Irish whiskey).  Add to that, what looks like some very nice wines available, plus Veuve Cliquot and Moët being included in Med cruises (I've only seen Moët on the US sailings' menus) I think we're going to be very happy with our decision!  😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Fogfog said:

So with YC we have Premium bev... and I noted the cost of the upgrade is essentially the cost of one drink off the connoisseur menu.

Have others done the upgrade and felt it worthwhile? Or have you been happy with the Prem package?

I am thinking single malt scotch, nice French wines... and a good champagne...after dinner drinks. 

Thoughts?

Yes PP is the way if you enjoy a good drink without questions.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi Bea,

I'm jealous!  That sounds so nice.  I think I will spend the rest of this evening going over your list.  The Verve and the Moët sound especially nice...two of my favorites.

Sighhhhhh...

I just like the freedom of being able to order anything on the menus without wondering if they're included or not.  I certainly won't be ordering drinks just because they're on the Connoisseur's list.  I'll still have the odd glass of Bailey's (or six lol - I'm partial to Bailey's and am capable of putting quite a dent in a bottle, so I limit myself to one or two during a cruise - mainly for elevenses when I'll add a shot to a hot chocolate - that's my main onboard treat).

Some of my favourite wines are already included in the YC fare, so I may end up reverting to them if I don't find one that I like in the Prem+ selection.  However, I'll definitely be enjoying a glass of Moët each evening as an aperitif (that's if it's preferable to Veuve, which I haven't had before).  On Splendida last year, the sommelier ensured I had a glass of Nicholas Feuillatte each evening at dinner (whether I wanted it or not lol).  I'm hoping we'll have a good sommelier in the restaurant next week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beamafar said:

I just like the freedom of being able to order anything on the menus without wondering if they're included or not.  I certainly won't be ordering drinks just because they're on the Connoisseur's list.....

On Splendida last year, the sommelier ensured I had a glass of Nicholas Feuillatte each evening at dinner (whether I wanted it or not lol).  I'm hoping we'll have a good sommelier in the restaurant next week.

I know some of you will have read this before, but repeated for those who may not have:

We had an experience on Preziosa with a guy in YC upgraded to P+. He was a whisky drinker and, because it was the most expensive drink (by some distance) in the Connoisseur range, drank JW blue exclusively day and night.....in order to get 'best value' from the package. This despite the fact he admitted to me (whilst inebriated one evening) that he much preferred Macallan Select Oak, the least expensive single malt whisky on the Connoisseur range and actually available with the YC package!! 🤔

With regard to the NF champagne, it is not listed in either the yacht club or Connoisseur menu in the Yacht Club Lounge, but is definitely available....simply ask, and they will deliver!

My advice to anyone who is unsure whether or not P+ is necessary for you, is to try the YC range for a couple of days and then upgrade if you feel the need. The range of available drinks with the YC experience is extensive, although apparently average for wines which we do not much care for....especially with NF champagne available in all YC areas, including the dining room.

Edited by hamrag
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Beamafar said:

I just like the freedom of being able to order anything on the menus without wondering if they're included or not.  

Exactly that ...it just adds to the whole days enjoyment.

I certainly won't be ordering drinks just because they're on the Connoisseur's list.  I'll still have the odd glass of Bailey's (or six lol - I'm partial to Bailey's and am capable of putting quite a dent in a bottle, so I limit myself to one or two during a cruise - mainly for elevenses when I'll add a shot to a hot chocolate - that's my main onboard treat).

I hope that is one or two bottles and not measures ...or I will officially cease contact with you! 😂

Some of my favourite wines are already included in the YC fare, so I may end up reverting to them if I don't find one that I like in the Prem+ selection.  However, I'll definitely be enjoying a glass of Moët each evening as an aperitif (that's if it's preferable to Veuve, which I haven't had before).  On Splendida last year, the sommelier ensured I had a glass of Nicholas Feuillatte each evening at dinner (whether I wanted it or not lol).  I'm hoping we'll have a good sommelier in the restaurant next week.

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, hamrag said:

I know some of you will have read this before, but repeated for those who may not have:

We had an experience on Preziosa with a guy in YC upgraded to P+. He was a whisky drinker and, because it was the most expensive drink (by some distance) in the Connoisseur range, drank JW blue exclusively day and night.....in order to get 'best value' from the package. This despite the fact he admitted to me (whilst inebriated one evening) that he much preferred Macallan Select Oak, the least expensive single malt whisky on the Connoisseur range and actually available with the YC package!! 🤔

With regard to the NF champagne, it is not listed in either the yacht club or Connoisseur menu in the Yacht Club Lounge, but is definitely available....simply ask, and they will deliver!

My advice to anyone who is unsure whether or not P+ is necessary for you, is to try the YC range for a couple of days and then upgrade if you feel the need. The range of available drinks with the YC experience is extensive, although apparently average for wines which we do not much care for....especially with NF champagne available in all YC areas, including the dining room.

I think that is great advice 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would add a couple of caveats to said advice (though I accept the premise of your argument, G).  The upgrade 'window' onboard is limited to embarkation day and the following day.  It rarely extends beyond that (unless on a repo cruise).  Plus, by the time you pay the 15% service charge, you could have used that cost to pay towards, and enjoy, the upgraded package from day one when upgrading before embarkation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I would add a couple of caveats to said advice (though I accept the premise of your argument, G).  The upgrade 'window' onboard is limited to embarkation day and the following day.  It rarely extends beyond that (unless on a repo cruise).  Plus, by the time you pay the 15% service charge, you could have used that cost to pay towards, and enjoy, the upgraded package from day one when upgrading before embarkation.

TY

I appreciate everyone's advice and thoughts

The ability to save a few by upgrading before embarkation (and pts bonus for buying ahead) is part of what I am thinking. 

Can one in a stateroom upgrade and the other not?

3 hours ago, citizenfrank said:

I think that is great advice 

Me, too. I decided it wasn't worth the $17 pppd to upgrade. Why? For one, the extra charge is per day of the entire cruise, including disembarkation day, and it's virtually impossible to get drinks the day of departure (we're always trying to get off the ship early, most of the bars are closed, etc.). And over time, I've found that we drink much less on port days than days at sea. So since Premium is included with YC, we're just going to stick with that and if we want to spring for an expensive drink once in a while, so be it. In the past, I've always upgraded on the basis of not being limited, but I've found over time that the included selections are more than adequate, and I have learned my lesson about bingeing in order to get my money's worth! 😫 PS I should add that neither my wife nor I drink brandy, cognac, scotch, etc. We're mainly wine and cocktail drinkers. 

• Like 2

If it's truly only paying the difference between Premium and Premium Plus, I'm sure we'll go for the upgrade.

Mainly because my husband enjoys drinking Hendricks, and I see that's on the Premium Plus list now.  

I know Moet is included (and @ $25 a glass, it's a no-brainer), but would it also include any of the wines on the upcharge wine list?

We're not sailing until April, so I'll be following this closely.

1 hour ago, jules815 said:

I know Moet is included (and @ $25 a glass, it's a no-brainer), but would it also include any of the wines on the upcharge wine list?

We're not sailing until April, so I'll be following this closely.

Yes ... everything on the menus sold by the glass is included in Prem+ (so bottles of wine/champagne aren't, but you get 30% off the price if you choose to purchase one).  Here are the spirits & wines included in Prem+ for US-based sailings (though brandy/cognac items seem to be missing):

157417472_MoreYCspiritsprices.png.ae860a00658e8ec9fe7fe94ae0e22eb3.png

225843914_YCspiritsprices.png.5e0fa7b4f6f94bd7271b681d50330d91.png

2071400713_SeasideYCWinesbytheglassprices.png.6f353c50e59f63f196e2f3d03689f65d.png

I'll post the photos of the menus from Meraviglia in Oct/Nov either when onboard (if I have internet) or when we return home.  I'm hoping they will have the Japanese whiskey, The Hakushu 12Y, onboard.  I believe the company is discontinuing it "at some point" after this year due to low stocks, so it may be the only time I'll ever get to try it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Yes ... everything on the menus sold by the glass is included in Prem+ (so bottles of wine/champagne aren't, but you get 30% off the price if you choose to purchase one).  Here are the spirits & wines included in Prem+ for US-based sailings (though brandy/cognac items seem to be missing):

157417472_MoreYCspiritsprices.png.ae860a00658e8ec9fe7fe94ae0e22eb3.png

225843914_YCspiritsprices.png.5e0fa7b4f6f94bd7271b681d50330d91.png

2071400713_SeasideYCWinesbytheglassprices.png.6f353c50e59f63f196e2f3d03689f65d.png

I'll post the photos of the menus from Meraviglia in Oct/Nov either when onboard (if I have internet) or when we return home.  I'm hoping they will have the Japanese whiskey, The Hakushu 12Y, onboard.  I believe the company is discontinuing it "at some point" after this year due to low stocks, so it may be the only time I'll ever get to try it.

Our boys gave DH a nice bottle of a Japanese Whiskey one year fro Christmas... they all felt it was exceptional.

Worth trying... At the time they had to order it fro a boutique seller and ship it to him

Now I have seen it in Total Wine.  If it is truly cutting back..may have to go buy bottles now

We are currently in YC on Divina and will be in YC on Seaview next week. When I contacted MSC (and our TA) they would not let us upgrade to Premium Plus before we sailed. We spoke to the concierge on Divina on our 2nd day and yes we could upgrade on board for €16 per day plus 15%. We haven’t upgraded this week but plan to next week on Seaview. We did ask the concierge if we could upgrade in advance but again it was a no. See you next week Bea.

43 minutes ago, Simon1902 said:

We are currently in YC on Divina and will be in YC on Seaview next week. When I contacted MSC (and our TA) they would not let us upgrade to Premium Plus before we sailed. We spoke to the concierge on Divina on our 2nd day and yes we could upgrade on board for €16 per day plus 15%. We haven’t upgraded this week but plan to next week on Seaview. We did ask the concierge if we could upgrade in advance but again it was a no. See you next week Bea.

Have a great cruise, Simon.  Looking forward to Seaview - we can raise a glass of Moët to MSC's crazy policies!  😂

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

@Simon1902

@Beamafar

Tagging to ask about your recent sailings and upgrading from Prem to Prem +

We are sailing Mera in early 2020 on B2B and I have read posts here on CC that things that were on Prem are no longer there, and things that were on Prem + are no longer there

Of particular interest is brut champagne, and single malt scotch... though any opinions and experience in YC recently would be great

Also-- options for wine in dining... Is it by the glass only or will the sommelier leave a bottle in a wine cooler/ ie open something based on our preferences?  

If we upgrade to Prem + are we more likely to be accommodated for wine choices at dinner?

TYIA 

We upgraded on seaside 4 weeks ago, several good choices for brut champagne, some had a list price for 25 a glass but that is all covered. I know they had some high end single malt, but I was drinking mostly Johnny Walker blue, also had several xo cognacs . Wine choices I thought was just ok but better than plain premium, we drank mostly Franciscan Cabernet which is Napa. Sommelier sometimes offered us other wines and left bottle on our table in YC restaurant. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, George C said:

We upgraded on seaside 4 weeks ago, several good choices for brut champagne, some had a list price for 25 a glass but that is all covered. I know they had some high end single malt, but I was drinking mostly Johnny Walker blue, also had several xo cognacs . Wine choices I thought was just ok but better than plain premium, we drank mostly Franciscan Cabernet which is Napa. Sommelier sometimes offered us other wines and left bottle on our table in YC restaurant. 

TY George

DH enjoys JW Blue as well and that certainly is a nice option.

Don't care for sweet wines and prefer my bubbles brut. 

On another ship we had 1 bad experience with the wine steward on a TA last spring..and had to get the head sommelier involved--can you imagine a wine steward who says he won't recommend any white wines as he "grew up drinking red"!

In the end the head som pulled some lovely french whites for me and no upcharge. 

Shocked to see "Kim Crawford" on the list, that stuff is terrible! 

We upgraded YC drink package on Meraviglia to premium plus and there were many champagne options. Drink menus I've seen for Divina show very little champagne. Does anyone know if the selection is similar to Meraviglia? Loved the Cgampagne Bar. Has anyone be upgraded on Divina? If so, did you feel it was worth it? 

4 hours ago, L2float said:

We upgraded YC drink package on Meraviglia to premium plus and there were many champagne options. Drink menus I've seen for Divina show very little champagne. Does anyone know if the selection is similar to Meraviglia? Loved the Cgampagne Bar. Has anyone be upgraded on Divina? If so, did you feel it was worth it? 

I was on Divina December '18 and Meraviglia Oct/Nov '19 both with premium plus. Divina's wine bar had a better selection of Red wines, but only Nicolas Feuillatte/Mumm's Champagne. Meraviglia had a large selection of Champagne, but  Oberon/Louis Jadot as the only Red wine Premium plus offerings