Horizon Sky Ride closed through Sept

DramaQueen22

We are sailing on the Horizon September 15.  Received an e mail last night that the SkyRide would remain closed through September 29.  Apparently the "enhancements" are taking longer than expected.  No big deal for us, we'll have a great time anyway.

21 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

It’s amazing how many problems they haven’t had with the SkyRide on Horizon and Vista. I think similar problems will happen with Bolt on Mardi Gras. 

It does seem like it's been down more than not.  I am terrified of heights in open spaces, so there's no way I'd ride it.  My son was looking forward to giving it a spin, but he's fine if he can't.

I can't even imagine how a roller coaster will work.  Sounds like a great idea, but keeping it functional long term?  Those rides have to be inspected every day...how is that even practical on a ship with the design they're using?  

2 hours ago, DramaQueen22 said:

I can't even imagine how a roller coaster will work.  Sounds like a great idea, but keeping it functional long term?  Those rides have to be inspected every day...how is that even practical on a ship with the design they're using?  

That's what I think about. Amusement parks employ some very specialized engineers & mechanics to maintain and repair their roller coasters. Granted, Bolt is on a much smaller scale, but it'll still need expert attention. I'm not absolutely convinced Carnival would provide the regular care from experts that it'll require. They struggle to keep a peddle-bike ride up & running...the Bolt ups the level of complication bigtime.

We won't be on Horizon for another 6 months, so hoping they get all these maintenance issues/enhancements (whatever they're calling it this week) figured out by then, because I'd like to try it. If not, oh well.

56 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Sky ride collapses and you fall maybe 20 feet to the deck. Probably get banged up. Now if a roller coaster fails...........catapulted how far into the ocean strapped to a heavy object?

If you have a 2 story house, please feel free to jump of the roof, onto a cement driveway, sidewalk, or backporch.

After months of the recovery, feel free to return and tell us how it turned out.

If you are lucky, you may just have a few broken bones.  Conversely, your head may have been cracked open, so you could have major brain damage.  Those bones that may have been broken could include your ribs that may have punctured one or both of your lungs.

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Sky ride collapses and you fall maybe 20 feet to the deck. Probably get banged up. Now if a roller coaster fails...........catapulted how far into the ocean strapped to a heavy object?

I'd definitely mention that on my survey. Carnival would offer me $50 OBC on my next cruise. 😜

2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

😳 that is terrifying 

3 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

I'm not absolutely convinced Carnival would provide the regular care from experts that it'll require. They struggle to keep a peddle-bike ride up & running...the Bolt ups the level of complication bigtime.

and not to mention, constant motion, wind, salt water and the Caribbean sun

2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

also completely impossible, look at the pictures, it does not go over the ocean, over the deck.

1 hour ago, gatour said:

If you have a 2 story house, please feel free to jump of the roof, onto a cement driveway, sidewalk, or backporch.

After months of the recovery, feel free to return and tell us how it turned out.

If you are lucky, you may just have a few broken bones.  Conversely, your head may have been cracked open, so you could have major brain damage.  Those bones that may have been broken could include your ribs that may have punctured one or both of your lungs.

On the other hand—Some of us are not so pessimistic as to go around expecting the worst. But then, I went skydiving too for my retirement.

1 minute ago, 2wheelin said:

On the other hand—Some of us are not so pessimistic as to go around expecting the worst. But then, I went skydiving too for my retirement.

You're the one posting about the roller coaster plunging in the ocean, pessimistic?

5 minutes ago, coevan said:

also completely impossible, look at the pictures, it does not go over the ocean, over the deck.

Have not seen pictures of the proposed roller coaster, just assumed (maybe incorrectly) that it would have sharp turns creating inertia, and be above deck.

2 minutes ago, coevan said:

You're the one posting about the roller coaster plunging in the ocean, pessimistic?

Sorry, I can’t get emojis on my device. Just making a wild comparison for those fearful of the sky ride.