Haven't Cruised in 6 yrs. What's Changed?

RichYak

Have a look at my signature. My last cruise was 6 years ago on RCL. I've cruised the most on Celebrity M-class ships but it's been 7 years since I've sailed on one. I'll be on Summit in December. What's changed? I've read plenty about revolutionized ships, but that's not really what I'm asking. Has the overall experience changed much in the last 5-7 years? Will I enjoy it as much now as I did then?

Will you enjoy it as much?  Only you can really answer that question.  I still enjoy cruising Celebrity after 30 years or so.  But at the same time it is true that there have been a lot of cuts, and a lot of additions of 'pay to play' things added.  The real question would be how important those cuts and changes are to you.  I have not been on a revolutionized ship yet, but there are some changes people don't like - the removal of footstools being one of them.  Another is that they are converting Qsine to Le Petit Chef - more expensive, fewer food options, but some people find the animation amusing.  They have made cuts to the amount of live music playing in the bars at any one time.  I think live theater performances are basically the same as earlier; some very good and some not so good at all.  Shows have changed; some I love (Topper) and some I can't stand.  Service in the dining rooms and bars is a little slower IMHO - it appears they have decreased staffing.   Room stewards no longer have helpers, but they do have fewer rooms.  Just some examples.

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

Have a look at my signature. My last cruise was 6 years ago on RCL. I've cruised the most on Celebrity M-class ships but it's been 7 years since I've sailed on one. I'll be on Summit in December. What's changed? I've read plenty about revolutionized ships, but that's not really what I'm asking. Has the overall experience changed much in the last 5-7 years? Will I enjoy it as much now as I did then?

Formal nights were eliminated about 4 years ago, replaced by evening chic, although there are some passengers who still dress formally.

The current dress code policy is essentially dress up or not, as you please, an apparent attempt to keep everyone happy and eliminate arguments about what to wear.

(Yet the entertaining and argumentative dress code threads still continue here on this board, as you can see.)

There have been a lot of cutbacks in many areas, except for suites, where there have been a lot of enhancements.

Basically, if you are a suite passenger you should really like the changes. Otherwise, probably not so much.

Since the footstools have been removed, those of us who like having a footstool now bring our own large inflatable beach balls for that purpose. 

(Fortunately, they are inexpensive, very light and pack flat in a suitcase.  They are actually more comfortable footstools than the ones the ship used to provide.)

We also try to improvise as best we can to substitute for other items that have been eliminated, such as tables for dining in the cabin and out on the balcony, while still hoping that they may yet be restored for future cruises, if enough passengers complain.

Sorry, but there is really no way that any of us can accurately predict whether or not you will enjoy your next cruise as much as the ones you took in the past.

Edited by varoo

We have been cruising with Celebrity since 2012.  During that time there have been many changes some good like beverage packages, dining packages,  Suite perks, improved internet, and some improvement in the entertainment.  

Service is still great, the crews are friendly & helpful, the food is quite good, overall the updating of the ships is a positive as some of the furnishings were getting a bit past their prime.  Like all cruise lines there have been some cutbacks but our 6 future bookings tells you we are very happy with Celebrity.

"Will I enjoy it as much now as I did then?"  Ok I'll admit that question was unfair, but so far, the answers have been the kind of information I'm looking for.

Foot stools (I'm assuming on balconies) seem to be a hot topic here. I'll do some research on "Evening Chic" but I guess that means shorts and flip-flops are ok for dinner now (sarcasm).

I get that short of building more decks, the only way to add space for suite guests is to take that space away from other passengers. If memory serves, the new Retreat Sun Deck on M-Class is where the topless sundeck was. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Some of my fondest memories of past cruises are of the wonderful people I've met--both staff and passengers. If that hasn't changed, I can live with everything else.

I don't remember when the payment of tips changed.  They are now added daily to your seapass card.

Food is still good but some of the things we loved are long gone....like the choux pastry swan swimming in a pool of chocolate, and the little potato basket full of veggies.

Gelato is now available and a free scoop is offered to Classic and above cruisers.

The service is still great.

Most other things have been covered.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by TeaBag

1 hour ago, farmermd said:

No footstools. 

And no you won’t enjoy it as much. Too many cuts. But hey the good news is prices haven’t changed all that much in 7 years!

I don't know about this.  The older ships may be the same or less, but the new ones cost more.

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Will you enjoy it as much?  Only you can really answer that question.  I still enjoy cruising Celebrity after 30 years or so.  But at the same time it is true that there have been a lot of cuts, and a lot of additions of 'pay to play' things added........

Oh, this reminds me of another one.

Celebrity used to offer passengers bridge tours, galley tours, engine control room tours, backstage theater tours, all at no charge.

You would just sign up for whichever tours you wanted to take.

Those free tours would include some snacks and a glass of bubbly or wine or OJ and usually chocolate covered strawberries.  The galley tours included visits to the specialty restaurants as well.

Now they have combined several tours into one, added a few more "behind the scenes" stops around the ship, such as the laundry room, and are charging passengers a hefty fee to take it.

What a great money maker for the cruise line.

Suite passengers do still get some free tours though.

(Well, not really "free" but included in the suite prices.)

There is also still a free galley tour available to everyone, but that one is more of a rushed and crowded assembly line type tour.

Edited by varoo

The oceans are still vast, wet and beautiful. There are always wonderful new experiences and things to see in the world. There are many new people to meet. There are still people saying "it was better in the old days." There are new ships...and the same older ships with some refurbishments. If you enjoy cruising you'll still have a wonderful vacation. Don't sweat the small stuff and have a glorious journey.

• Like 3

I'm in a similar position to the OP, except that my last time on Celebrity was 9 years ago.  Tried Azamara once, didn't like it (nasty captain, small ship, rough water).

My biggest question is whether fixed seating in the MDR survives, or whether X has succumbed to the fashion for open seating.  We've been mostly cruising on Cunard, which retains the fixed seating we prefer.

43 minutes ago, rsquare said:

I'm in a similar position to the OP, except that my last time on Celebrity was 9 years ago.  Tried Azamara once, didn't like it (nasty captain, small ship, rough water).

My biggest question is whether fixed seating in the MDR survives, or whether X has succumbed to the fashion for open seating.  We've been mostly cruising on Cunard, which retains the fixed seating we prefer.

Fixed seating does exist... and many enjoy it.

From you signature -you sail lovely lines like Cunard, Oceania etc. Celebrity will be a step down in service, food etc from those. 

We hope to try the QM2 for a TA with our dog... as they are the only ship we know of with kennels. How did you like QM2?

21 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Fixed seating does exist... and many enjoy it.

From you signature -you sail lovely lines like Cunard, Oceania etc. Celebrity will be a step down in service, food etc from those. 

We hope to try the QM2 for a TA with our dog... as they are the only ship we know of with kennels. How did you like QM2?

Thanks for the fast comeback.  When you say "fixed seating does exist" I'm curious as to whether it is on the Cunard model (fixed seating for everyone in the MDR) or HAL model (two-level MDR, with fixed seating on one level and open seating on the other).

As to the Mary, this November I'll take my tenth TA on her; the Lady in My Life has comparable experience on the ship, including a full World Cruise.  So yeah, we like it a lot.  The ship never feels crowded in spite of holding 2700 pax, and though I always bring a book or two to read, there is so much to do each day (lectures, planetarium, multiple live music venues, etc.) that I rarely get to do much reading.  Finally, because we always do our TAs in early November when the North Atlantic can be feisty, the fact that the ship was designed to be stable in such conditions (long bow with a breakwater, extra-thick plating, etc.) really helps.  We also like dressing up for formal nights, and are not happy that they cut the number of these recently.

Edited by rsquare
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, rsquare said:

Thanks for the fast comeback.  When you say "fixed seating does exist" I'm curious as to whether it is on the Cunard model (fixed seating for everyone in the MDR) or HAL model (two-level MDR, with fixed seating on one level and open seating on the other).

As to the Mary, this November I'll take my ninth TA on her; the Lady in My Life has comparable experience on the ship, including a full World Cruise.  So yeah, we like it a lot.  The ship never feels crowded in spite of holding 2700 pax, and though I always bring a book or two to read, there is so much to do each day (lectures, planetarium, multiple live music venues, etc.) that I rarely get to do much reading.  Finally, because we always do our TAs in early November when the North Atlantic can be feisty, the fact that the ship was designed to be stable in such conditions (long bow with a breakwater, extra-thick plating, etc.) really helps.  We also like dressing up for formal nights, and are not happy that they cut the number of these recently.

Dining with Celebrity has fixed seating--twice and evening on one level and the other level is "your time" open seating. 

The dress on Celebrity is more casual than Cunard and sadly even on long sailings the elegant night is less elegant--  Fewer back tie etc. We have sailed with formal wear and now DH and our adult boys wear dark suits on those evenings. On Celebrity you will see slacks and a polo shirt on "elegant"/chic night. 

Have hear wonderful things about the enrichment on Cunard which is why we will be trying it -- 

The QM is a true "ocean liner" 

The dining rooms vary on her don't they--according to stateroom position/level, yes?

Celebrity has adopted the 2 level dining...

Traditional Seating on one level & Anytime on another.

We've seen either on either level - dependent upon which way the population had requested dining in advance.

Enjoy your Cruise!

1 minute ago, dkjretired said:

Smoking policies, I’m on Summit since Sunday and haven’t smelled any smoke. Also suite experience is wonderful if so inclined.

One of our fav things on Celebrity

The indoor smoking on other ships -- blech. We had forgotten about indoor smoke because Celebrity is so good about indoor clean air

27 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

The dining rooms vary on her don't they--according to stateroom position/level, yes?

Correct.  MDR is called Britannia and has two dinner seatings, 6 and 8:30 as I recall.  All other dining venues have a single seating but a fixed table assignment.  Club Britannia is slightly more expensive than Britannia and is linked to verandah cabins on, I believe, deck 11, with a broad range of times to access your table.  The one time we did Club, we agreed with the others at the table to always start at the same time, so we sort of transformed it into fixed seating (we always ask for a 6-top).

Next up, and quite bit costlier, is Princess Grille (larger cabins, more ability to order off the menu), and most expensive of all Queen's Grille, like PG but more so.  There are also Grilles lounges; the very last vestiges of the old class system on ocean liners.

Breakfast and lunch are always open seating; you are given the option of a table for just your party, or to share a larger table (which we almost always do).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Smoking policies, I’m on Summit since Sunday and haven’t smelled any smoke. Also suite experience is wonderful if so inclined.

I love that you haven't smelled any smoke! And, yes, I am inclined re: the suite experience. The Retreat areas and Luminae are very compelling.

Some other thoughts:

I enjoyed Formal Nights, but I won't miss them either. Evening Chic sounds good to me. So does working internet. It's hard to be completely unplugged nowadays.

Edited by RichYak
Other thoughts