Hurricane updates

Mattnvick

So as promised yesterday MSC did a Dorian update at 1pm today. No changes to Seaside or Armonia but they are doing another update today at 6pm. 

Is this just because the storm is getting closer so the updates become more frequent?

We are onboard Armonia now, and there have not been any 'updates' other than that they are monitoring the situation.  Unless the storms slows down more, I can't see us getting into Miami on Monday.  (Nor can I see my flight leaving MIA Monday...).  Will report if any announcements are made.  AA have already emailed that there might have to be changes...  EM

The captain has just been on the intercom to say that they have been monitoring the situation, we will spend tomorrow in Cozumel as scheduled, but corporate is working on plans B & C, in case Dorian stays on the current projected track, and the Coast Guard closes any South Florida ports.  We will know more tomorrow.  EM

Hi EM: Royal, Carnival, NCL, and Disney have all revamped  their schedules for next week.  Each cruise line has stated that should the ports in Florida close,  they will position ships so they may dock as soon as the ports reopen (Port Canaveral, Port Everglades, and Port of Miami).  In the meantime, they seem to be steering clear of the Eastern Caribbean.

Do you have unlimited internet? Is it pulling up the updates for you ok? I know sometimes the graphics are difficult to load while at sea, so if your internet connection leaves a bit to be desired, I would be more than happy to try to keep you updated here.

1 hour ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Possibly because the sailing date and the storm are closer. More regular updates keeps the call centre call volumes down.

I thought there was something "brewing" excuse the pun for an update 5 hours after the last one. Seaside coming in a day early at 8am tomorrow anticipating POM to close and will set sail before that to a safe place. PAX can stay on or get off. Doubt they will be be back before Monday at the earliest. Totally sucks for European people flying in. Trying to find a hotel in Miami will be nigh on impossible. That's assuming the airport will even be open. 

Funny we were talking tonight saying when we lived in Europe (UK) we never gave a thought to hurricanes except when then sometimes came on the news. Certainly wouldnt have known about hurricane season and avoiding it for a cruise we would just have been looking at the summer holiday.

Now we live in Canada and track them all the time and know we wouldnt ever take the risk to cruise July to October.

Edited by Mattnvick

Here is a good article listing each of the airlines changes also. Since the governor has officially issued a state of emergency, most airlines are waiving change fees. Em: you may want to get ahead of this with flight changes as there are quite a few ships in southern florida Sunday-Tuesday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/29/travel/hurricane-dorian-travel.html

Port of Miami Schedule:

image.png.310a3f3455df65742891b34c17af9107.png

Port EVerglades:

image.png.a8ef42664a54903a64ce5542d61e64dc.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014

33 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Here is a good article listing each of the airlines changes also. Since the governor has officially issued a state of emergency, most airlines are waiving change fees. Em: you may want to get ahead of this with flight changes as there are quite a few ships in southern florida Sunday-Tuesday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/29/travel/hurricane-dorian-travel.html

Port of Miami Schedule:

image.png.310a3f3455df65742891b34c17af9107.png

Port EVerglades:

image.png.a8ef42664a54903a64ce5542d61e64dc.png

Right off the bat i can see this schedule is not correct. Unless its been updated anticipating when Seaside will come BACK to a  reopened POM which is unlikely as the thing isn't supposed to hit mainland US  until Monday at the earliest.  Her regular sailing day is a Saturday so this week  it would be Saturday August 31st. 

Edited by Mattnvick
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mattnvick said:

Right off the bat i can see this schedule is not correct. Unless its been updated anticipating when Seaside will come BACK to a  reopened POM.  Her regular sailing day is a Saturday so this week  it would be Saturday August 31st. 

I thought it was weird that they had Seaside scheduled in on a Monday.  Here is the list from cruisemapper.  This is not the first time I've found errors on MSC schedules correlating to port sites. 

image.png.32f1f81327da19a51f2b214c117deab3.png

• Like 1

Here’s the update from earlier today. 

Hurricane Dorian Update
8/29/2019
Update: August 29, 2019 6pm (EST): 
Hurricane Dorian Update: 
As the safety and security of our guests and crew is MSC Cruises’ top priority, we are closely monitoring Hurricane Dorian. 
The U.S. Coast Guard has just informed that PortMiami may be closed as early as tomorrow. Therefore, MSC Seaside is planning to return to PortMiami tomorrow, Friday, August 30 at 8:00 AM ET. At this time, current guests on board MSC Seaside will have the option of disembarking if they choose. Alternatively, guests are being offered the option of staying on board. MSC Seaside will be required to depart before PortMiami closes. MSC Seaside will sail to a safe area and return once the port re-opens. 
For guests currently booked on MSC Seaside, departing on Saturday, August 31, and those currently booked on MSC Armonia, departing on Monday, Sept. 2, we will provide an update on the sailings at noon tomorrow. We encourage guests to continue to monitor our web site for updates.

I am on the Seaside, I am curious what our options are. We heard the intercom announcement similar to what’s posted here but don’t know our options besides disembarking tomorrow. Curious if they allow us to sail out again tomorrow.

At this time, current guests on board MSC Seaside will have the option of disembarking if they choose. Alternatively, guests are being offered the option of staying on board. MSC Seaside will be required to depart before PortMiami closes. MSC Seaside will sail to a safe area and return once the port re-opens. 

26 minutes ago, exm said:

I am on the Seaside, I am curious what our options are. We heard the intercom announcement similar to what’s posted here but don’t know our options besides disembarking tomorrow. Curious if they allow us to sail out again tomorrow.

The ship has to sail out tomorrow before they close the port.  Your options are to get off or stay onboard.  They will help you make alternative arrangements for flights, etc.   just be patient cause all are in the same situation. 

Edited by Cruisergal1208

As someone who is booked on the 8/31 Seaside, I am hoping they stay in port and debark as scheduled, and are just being proactive in the event the port closes.

Carnival already announced they are sailing out on the 31st, and even moving one of their Sept 1st cruises up to board 7p to 10p on Sat the 31st. If they can do it, I don't see why MSC can't as well.

6 minutes ago, DMage said:

As someone who is booked on the 8/31 Seaside, I am hoping they stay in port and debark as scheduled, and are just being proactive in the event the port closes.

Carnival already announced they are sailing out on the 31st, and even moving one of their Sept 1st cruises up to board 7p to 10p on Sat the 31st. If they can do it, I don't see why MSC can't as well.

Carnival will be making changes too if they close the port before the 31st.  Remember, MSC is a privately owned company and operates differently than those that have to answer to their stockholders. Hope it all works out for the best for you. 

We had the Black party tonight and the captain said he will have a conference call with corporate tomorrow morning and will update us then.  AA has already notified me of no fees for change.  I can’t do anything until I know something.  But we are retired, no deadlines so it becomes an adventure.  EM

• Like 3

I am currently on the MSC Seaside.  We have arrived at the Port of Miami and those who wish to disembark are free to do so and those who do not wish to disembark can stay.   Once everything is loaded onboard, we are headed out to who knows where for who knows how long.  We opted to stay because we live in Jupiter which unfortunately will be a prime target for Dorian.   Why deal with all that?  

Best wishes to all and hopefully we will all make it thru the storm.  They are treating us fabulously on board and my butler Maria is the best.  😀

Edited by talltree
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Enjoy the rest of your vacation. We are in YC tomorrow, first time, doesn't look promising. Has the captain or anyone given a heads up on the port or the plans. Looking for any inside information.

The ship leaves Miami later today, before PofM closes, and will not be back in Miami anytime in the next few days!

9 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

We had the Black party tonight and the captain said he will have a conference call with corporate tomorrow morning and will update us then.  AA has already notified me of no fees for change.  I can’t do anything until I know something.  But we are retired, no deadlines so it becomes an adventure.  EM

Great attitude!! The important part is to stay safe and MSC will do that :)

1 hour ago, talltree said:

I am currently on the MSC Seaside.  We have arrived at the Port of Miami and those who wish to disembark are free to do so and those who do not wish to disembark can stay.   Once everything is loaded onboard, we are headed out to who knows where for who knows how long.  We opted to stay because we live in Jupiter which unfortunately will be a prime target for Dorian.   Why deal with all that?  

Best wishes to all and hopefully we will all make it thru the storm.  They are treating us fabulously on board and my butler Maria is the best.  😀

You will be well  taken care of   Give Maria our best and a big hug from Mary Ann and Tom. Enjoy Cozumel. The crew will love being there as they can come and go as work allows. Be safe. 

5 minutes ago, Cruisergal1208 said:

You will be well  taken care of   Give Maria our best and a big hug from Mary Ann and Tom. Enjoy Cozumel. The crew will love being there as they can come and go as work allows. Be safe. 

Is the ship leaving Miami to go to Cozumel? duration? we are due to sail tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Is the ship leaving Miami to go to Cozumel? duration? we are due to sail tomorrow.

The ship is scheduled to leave Miami tonight at 1800. Just keep checking the MSC website for updates regarding your cruise. It will most likely be canceled.