Internet Question

carlsbadguy

I know you can only use one device at a time, but can you set up the internet on more than one device to use at separate times?  For example i have a google vocie phoen number I use over the internet for calls on my phone but would want to use my laptop in my room?

I believe that is okay.  The problem is more than one device at a time.

I've never paid much attention to the rules here since I only use my laptop and my husband is computer-illiterate ... so I can go on whenever I want without worrying about him!

Mura

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, carlsbadguy said:

I know you can only use one device at a time, but can you set up the internet on more than one device to use at separate times?  For example i have a google vocie phoen number I use over the internet for calls on my phone but would want to use my laptop in my room?

As long as you are not using  both devices  on WiFi  at the same time

You use your name/cabin number to set up the account  you can have several devices  but not logged in at the same time

If you are in a Top suite  EG:  OS OC & VS  you can have 2 accounts  I believe

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005488873-What-is-Wavenet-WiFi-

Unless you have one of the top suites as mentioned, you'll have a single "login ID".

IF one of you is "online" and the other (or same person with different device) tries to log in at the same time, you'll get a prompt about there already being another user, and a query about whether you want to bump the other off !

So try to give some warning :classic_wink: to keep some semblance of harmony in your cabin/suite!

GC

• Like 1

Agree with the above, but we were on Marina this past March and the internet was almost unusable.  Unless it has improved it probably won't work for voice calls or video calls like Facetime.  Even the crew admitted that it was no good.

9 minutes ago, Sopwith said:

Agree with the above, but we were on Marina this past March and the internet was almost unusable.  Unless it has improved it probably won't work for voice calls or video calls like Facetime.  Even the crew admitted that it was no good.

funny we were on in April  it worked fine  for the basic  wifi

we do not do Facetime or voice calls 

I did spend more time than usual online since we were trapped indoors for several days

1 hour ago, Sopwith said:

I was on Marina in June. The internet was unusable in the cabin.  The only place on the ship where I found it to be fairly good was in Baristas. I didn't use it for voice calls or anything like FaceTime,  just basic internet for a few minutes a day. It was frustrating for us not to be able to use it in the cabin.

We just got off Insignia last week-- as others have mentioned, internet is limited to one device at a time but you could bump the other device to sign on. 

Overall I was pleased with the in cabin wifi in that I could send basic emails and a few larger pdf attachments for work and it went fairly quickly. I did not get the impression it would be able to handle Facetime or streaming well, if at all. But unlike other's experiences it was usable, just for basic needs. 

I am wondering if  some of the issues can be to do with the device you use??  🤔

I have a netbook & rarely have problems

I do have some issues  but usually due to location of the ship

I am not saying everything is always perfect  but  I do not seem to have some of the issues reported  here

Just off Sirena and we used 2 iPads and 2 iPhones (at different times) all devices worked fine to download the newspapers, browse the internet pick up emails and face time. Slower when everyone was  onboard or when entering or leaving port but still useable.

Downloads took a lot longer than at home but at the price it was fine. 

My wife has an iPhone X and it's about the 4th or 5th iPhone she's had over the years. It's probably the worst out of the bunch, definitely the most expensive. I don't think we've ever used it on board but our IPads work fine. 

17 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I just wondered  because  I always see people lined up  to see the computer guy with their cell phone & ipads in hand

I hate to state the obvious but a lot of the people we saw lining up with issues were a bit along in years and the demographic does trend older.

We had two iPhone X and a brand new MacBook Air and none of them had any issues at all (aside from it being slower than what you are used to on land which is to be expected). Sign in process was easy enough for us but I can see how it could be confusing for those not used to adjusting their settings as theres a few steps. 

4 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I hate to state the obvious but a lot of the people we saw lining up with issues were a bit along in years and the demographic does trend older.

I am not sure of your definition of "along in years" is  but some were younger than  I am 😎

But yes it could  be they did not understand the settings needed 

On 9/4/2019 at 12:13 PM, Sopwith said:

I Facetimed with family during the entire world cruise.

12 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

When I would be in the internet room to print something, it was the same...mostly elderly people who were pretty computer illiterate and needing assistance. The crew member was very patient with them.