Atlantis sub - hard to enter ???

hillbilly cruiser

I would call it a staircase, not a ladder, since there are steps descending that are not in line with each other.  A ladder just has rungs.

Steps:       ____                                                           Ladder:   _____

____                                                                       _____

____                                                                    _____

_____                                                              _____

Either way, anyone with mobility issues may have difficulty with it. 

Edited by evandbob

4 hours ago, evandbob said:

I would call it a staircase, not a ladder, since there are steps descending that are not in line with each other.  A ladder just has rungs.

Steps:       ____                                                           Ladder:   _____

____                                                                       _____

____                                                                    _____

_____                                                              _____

Either way, anyone with mobility issues may have difficulty with it. 

They taught us in in Navy bootcamp that all vertical passages were ladders whether landlubbers called them stairs or ladders. So if you want to sound like a real tar, call both ladders {then explain that one is vertical and one more diagonal}.  😁

(Yeah, I know, I'm being pedantic. Some habits die hard. My wife still looks at me askance when I call the sanitary facilities a head and the MDR the mess deck. Late night pizza is midrats.)

• Haha 1

We'll be in Cozumel this winter and Aruba in early Spring next year. Both have these Atlantis sub tours. A while back I read someone's comment on here that when they did this in Cozumel, the current was a bit strong that day, so they could only descend to about 65 ft. (instead of around 100 ft.) and it was pretty murky. The video on the De Palm Tours website (Aruba) does show some cloudy waters. I know we can't really predict those kinds of things, but given their geographical locations, does anyone know if we'd have a better chance at clearer conditions in Aruba or Cozumel? It'd be a fun experience no matter what, but I sure would hate to miss out on descending to the full depth.

Has anyone done both and preferred one over the other, as far as underwater scenery goes? I'm reading that Aruba's includes a couple shipwrecks, which I think would be interesting.

One last question. Do they turn around and come back the same way they went out? Meaning, do the people on each side get a chance to see the things on the opposite side, or are people on the opposite side clambering to look and take pictures over your shoulder?

On 9/6/2019 at 1:52 PM, Organized Chaos said:

We'll be in Cozumel this winter and Aruba in early Spring next year. Both have these Atlantis sub tours. A while back I read someone's comment on here that when they did this in Cozumel, the current was a bit strong that day, so they could only descend to about 65 ft. (instead of around 100 ft.) and it was pretty murky.

One last question. Do they turn around and come back the same way they went out? Meaning, do the people on each side get a chance to see the things on the opposite side, or are people on the opposite side clambering to look and take pictures over your shoulder?

I think I am the one that posted where we didn't go down past 65 feet.  The reason that we didn't go further was because if we went further down, the current would make the water murky.  At 65 feet, we still could see everything quite plain.

The sub that we were on only had eighteen people on it.  We all sat on one side.  They told us that if the sub would have been full, they would turn it around so that both sides could see out.