Status Match - Do it now or do it closer to sailing?

Grommet

I just put a deposit on my cruise for next summer and am now finding out about MSC Status Match Program.  Based on what I've read on here, it would appear that I should be able to get a status match to Black so my question is, is it better to do the upgrade now or wait till closer to sailing so I can prolong my 3 year membership or is it based on cruise date rather than status match date?  What are the advantages and disadvantages to doing the status match now vs maybe few weeks/month before sailing?  I assume my status and benefits can be retroactively applied to the sailing I just booked.  

It depends how you want your 5% discount, If you want it to be applied to your invoice do it now. if you want it as OBC do it after the final payment date, your 3 year validity will be from the date you status match or from the disembarkation date of a cruise you take within the initial 3 years from status matching. Each time you cruise the 3 year membership renews at the disembarkation date to be three years from disembarkation.

hope this helps

Pete

PS

they have in recent months made it harder to get matched to the higher levels. eg Diamond on RCI used to match to BLACK but now matches to GOLD so that might be a reason to go for the match sooner rather than later

Edited by Skier52

Mine took almost 4 weeks to get back and we were already booked. So they will be sending a check for 5% discount. I did it now don’t see point in waiting if we don’t take a second cruise within 3 years of first I guess we don’t deserve to keep our status! 

Your reason to wait is: "prolong my 3 year membership"

This is not the case as you get a fresh three years from disembarkation day, with this in mind there is no reason to wait as it only increases the risk of a lower match if they reduce/withdraw the scheme.

So if I may piggy back off this and ask... I am currently Select on Celebrity but will be Elite after my next cruise coming up in November.  My final payment date for our first MSC sailing on Seaside is while I will be on my Celebrity cruise so I will have to make final payment before we embark.  Is it your recommendation to go ahead and do the match now so I can get the 5% off of invoice?  Not sure which would be the better value, the OBC or the discount.  And BTW does anyone know what Select or Elite on Celebrity translates to on MSC?  Thank you!

1.  It seems to take a long time for MSC to complete the match and give you credit.

2. They have already downgraded the program. We did it in the beginning with our Royal Caribbean status & got black. If we did it now, we would only get gold.

3. They can CANCEL this program at ant time !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shippy said:

1.  It seems to take a long time for MSC to complete the match and give you credit.

2. They have already downgraded the program. We did it in the beginning with our Royal Caribbean status & got black. If we did it now, we would only get gold.

3. They can CANCEL this program at ant time !

Initially MSC matched our RCL Diamond to Gold; l queried it and got an apologetic email confirming an error, and that we are, in fact, Black on the VC program.