Teppanyaki with food allergies

FuninWB

I'm wondering if Teppanyaki is a problem for those people who have peanut or soy allergies. I know I can check on board, but I wonder if anyone has had experience with food allergy issues there. I suspect it may be difficult for them to change a recipe. Thank you.

We just got back off the Joy, and my son and I have specific severe allergies. We were always asked, and always disclosed our main ones. Then on Friday afternoon I was sitting there and looked down and saw one of my other  severe ones, which is so very uncommon I didn't bother to mention it. They had used it as a garnish. It looked delicious, and I was just about to stick it in my gob when it clicked what it was. Oh sheet!

I dodged a bullet on that one. 

We had previously asked about a couple of restaurants and were told straight up: Don't go to Teppanyaki or Ocean Blue. Wah! We didn't. 

I took Epi-pens, Diphenhydramine, CetirizineAlbuterol, Fexofenadine, Prednisone, and a sexy ICU nurse with me. Just in cases. Thankfully, I didn't require the ICU nurse for her medical skills, but she was very useful during other activities. 

Are your allergies life threatening? Are you willing to risk your life? 

• Like 1

When we went they cooked a meal in the back and brought it out for my wife.   Sort of defeats the purpose of going but at least she saw the show for the rest of us. 

If your allergy is severe/airborne I wouldn’t risk it though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FuninWB said:

I'm wondering if Teppanyaki is a problem for those people who have peanut or soy allergies. I know I can check on board, but I wonder if anyone has had experience with food allergy issues there. I suspect it may be difficult for them to change a recipe. Thank you.

100% of the food at Teppanyaki has soy sauce on it. If that would trip your allergy, it is not the place to go. The steam and spatter from the grill would set off your allergies. And your food would have to be prepared in the main galley area set aside for food allergies. 

If it isn't actually in the food cooked in Teppanyaki, and it almost certainly is, most people will be very liberal with it at the table so the air will be laden with it.   As your allergy is serious keep well away.

On a totally different tack, if you were to go and reacted badly to the general atmosphere of soy would your insurance pay for a Medevac if it were necessary?

My DH has a shrimp allergy. When we went to Teppanyaki the hostess asked us first before we even said anything. When the chef came out..he knew already and clarified with my DH.  It was not a problem for us .

4 minutes ago, jaja said:

My DH has a shrimp allergy. When we went to Teppanyaki the hostess asked us first before we even said anything. When the chef came out..he knew already and clarified with my DH.  It was not a problem for us .

I always go to the Teppanyaki restaurant a few times during each of my cruises and there have been those with seafood, shellfish, peanut, etc. allergies and no one had an issue, because the restaurant is very on top of allergies.