Celebrating on Cruise

audraz910

We are cruising next week to celebrate our anniversary, which is in October but this was the closest time that worked for us to be away from home.  Our booking had a section about if we were celebrating a birthday or anniversary (might have been something else) and asked us to choose a date to celebrate.  Our PVP verified that we were choosing a day for the event to be observed and it did not matter that it wasn't the exact day.  Since we don't want the extra attention (or particularly want the small cake) or use the discounts sometimes given by the stewards, we are opting not to have our celebration observed.  I see nothing wrong with others choosing to have their celebration observed if it is something Carnival encourages.

eta: We took our children on their first cruise to celebrate our daughter's graduation and RCCL also asked if we were celebrating anything.  We acknowledged that we were, even though we didn't cruise on the day she graduated (kinda wanted to see her walk across the stage 😉 ).  Princess is the only line that I remember really making a big deal for our anniversary, but that was during the actual cruise too.

Edited by pacruise804
additional information

23 hours ago, fyree39 said:

Well, they offer a little cake in the MDR for birthdays and anniversaries. IMO (humble as it is), I feel it would be unethical to ask that each of you receives one of these little cakes at dinner. What you could do is pre-order a celebration cake and have it served in the MDR for all of you. Do you think that would be suitable?

I was actually going to advise the same. Order a cake online ahead of time, and request it served in the MDR. It’s too bad that Carnival doesn’t provide a free whole cake, and only the little cakes. We sailed NCL one year for my birthday, and the room steward left a birthday cupcake in cabin, and we were served a whole birthday cake in MDR for just the two of us. We actually ended up giving the rest of cake away. 

8 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Speaking of "Huh?"... who mentioned a free birthday cake... or free anything ?

As I said... the waiters that I have had seem to have fun forcing dessert on us, even though we politely declined as we are usually stuffed... bringing out one plate anyway for us to split.  So perhaps the waiter may simply bring out that evening's dessert with a candle on it.  

Free is exactly what the OP was asking for.

On 9/9/2019 at 3:24 PM, audraz910 said:

We decided to do a cruise this year.  I am turning 45 in Sept.,  DH is turning 40 April, DD is turning 16, DS turning 13, Youngest is turning 5.  My question is when they ask if we are celebrating would it be wrong to say we all are just not that actual month when we are sailing?

On 9/9/2019 at 4:06 PM, fyree39 said:

Well, they offer a little cake in the MDR for birthdays and anniversaries. IMO (humble as it is), I feel it would be unethical to ask that each of you receives one of these little cakes at dinner. What you could do is pre-order a celebration cake and have it served in the MDR for all of you. Do you think that would be suitable?

I quoted the first two posts and bolded the original question.  OP asked about what they should say when asked if they are celebrating, not how to get something.  Since she didn't offer any follow-up posts to this thread it is hard to know the intent.  Possibly she wanted to know if she should lie when asked if they are celebrating and say no, since what they are celebrating isn't during the cruise even if the cruise is in celebration of the birthdays.

We seem to all be the ones with cake on the brain 🙂 

13 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I quoted the first two posts and bolded the original question.  OP asked about what they should say when asked if they are celebrating, not how to get something.  Since she didn't offer any follow-up posts to this thread it is hard to know the intent.  Possibly she wanted to know if she should lie when asked if they are celebrating and say no, since what they are celebrating isn't during the cruise even if the cruise is in celebration of the birthdays.

It is not difficult to read between the lines. Why would the OP post the question if she wasn’t looking for something?  She even stated “would it be wrong”, which reinforces my belief that she is looking for something, although I wouldn’t jump to the conclusion that she is looking for free cake. 

Sorry I havent been on here.  I was just really wondering if they would think I was trying to scam the system.  I dont need the cake or anything like that.  I was just looking on the managing your cruise section and it had are you celebrating something.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, audraz910 said:

For example when we go to Disney and they see its your birthday you get a pin.  I was just wondering what others thought.

Sounds like you are doing one cruise to celebrate "life". No reason not to list celebrations on the planner. Cruise line can do what they wish with the info.

It's the people who celebrate an annual occasion on several cruises a year who are.......Well, we all know what they are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, audraz910 said:

For example when we go to Disney and they see its your birthday you get a pin.  I was just wondering what others thought.

Anyone can get a Birthday Pin at WDW anytime and any day.  Most guests wear them every day, every visit in hopes of getting freebies.  

9 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Not me. I answered the OP's question early in the thread. The question: " My question is when they ask if we are celebrating would it be wrong to say we all are just not that actual month when we are sailing? "

I answered it was between them and their conscience and no one else 😉 

14 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I agree with you. I don’t know if it was cake, but it sure sounds like the OP was looking for something for free for everybody. 

It "sure sounds like" ?    Sounds like reading between the grape vines to me... reading a whole lot into the OP's question.  Is this intuition ?    

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

It "sure sounds like" ?    Sounds like reading between the grape vines to me... reading a whole lot into the OP's question.  Is this intuition ?    

You can call it intuition, experience, education, etc., but you don’t need a PhD, although it doesn’t hurt, to deduce that the OP was likely looking for something in her original post, even if she is backtracking now.