Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
kew1031

Weather question. Who has sailed down to Baja from L.A. in February?

Recommended Posts

We will be sailing on the Panorama February 8th to Cabo, Mazatlán, and Puerto Vallarta. Have never done this itinerary before and it's February. I know that "winter" in Los Angeles can vary wildly. We were there in Feb 2016 and it was 90 degrees the whole time we were there. 

And of course, we will be sailing south. What is the water like that time of year? I have problems with motion sickness sometimes when the water is choppy. Also, we have a couple sailing with us who have never done a cruise before. I want them to be prepared for the possibility of rough seas.(and me, too!)

I realize that whatever the "average" is, the weather can be exactly opposite at any given time.

Just asking about your experiences.

thanks!

Kay in Dallas

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kay, the Mex Riv cruise out of L.A. is my go-to cruise.  No airplane, so no TSA, no plastic zip-lock bags for liquids, none of the hassles of flying in the post-9-11 world.  I just drive up to the terminal and turn my baggage over to the porters.  So it is my first choice!

 

I have sailed from L.A. to the Mexican Riviera in all of the winter months, December through April.  I have had some rough water at the dock -- in fact, they delayed sailing for a few hours once, leaving the ship tied up at the pier rather than subjecting her to the rough seas.  The Captain announced that our vacation had begun, that we would be on time for our port call, and that the band was playing at the pool deck!  So ignore the fact that we were still tied up!

 

The seas can be a little bit rough, but not wildly.  Ginger snaps, ginger candy, and those wrist bands are enough for most passengers.  I do not recommend the patches or pills if they are not necessary -- a friend once was feeling very sick, until she took the patch off and discovered that she was feeling sick because of the patch!

 

Rather than rough seas, what many people are surprised about is the cold weather that first day and a half outside of L.A.  Until you reach Baja.  And ton he Friday returning from Baja to So Cal.  The winter weather at sea is normally not beach weather!

 

Enjoy.  Baja is a wonderful place to visit, and a cruise ship is a wonderful base camp for the trip!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, we've sailed in February, it can be nice and sunny in LA, or it can be cold and rainy, check the weather a few days before.  You probably will need long pants and a light jacket for first and last days, but shorts for all other days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback. Even LA gets a little cold sometimes! I  was out there at the end of June for a few days and it was mostly cloudy and cool the whole time I was there.  Meanwhile, back in Dallas,  it was 104.

I always take long pants and a jacket, because even in the warmest weather, the indoor spaces are always cold.

As for motion sickness, I hate taking Bonine or Dramamine, because all it does is knock me out. Have never done the patch. I had a pair of wrist bands, but they've gone MIA.  I think I loaned them to my daughter and never hot them back. I've got a few months to replenish my cruise first aid bag!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kay,

You have already answered your own questions. " It varies wildly. " and "Whatever the average is, it can be exactly the opposite at any given time."

I have worked on cruise ships sailing to Baja from California in February for the past 30 years.

Very rarely have 2 of those cruises been remotely alike.

There is no pattern, there is no way to predict.

Sometimes calm / sometimes rough.

Sometimes hot / sometimes warm / sometimes cold.

Sometimes rainy / sometimes cloudy / sometimes sunny.

Any individual historical experience that anyone gives you here is just that - an old story that may never be repeated when you sail.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a long time (over forty years) extensive cruiser we would reiterate what Brucemuzz has posted.  In fact, we often warn others not to pay too much attention to anecdotal posts when it comes to forecasting future weather and/or sea conditions.  The truth is that the weather and seas are really unpredictable...sometimes even a week in advance.  The old axiom of Be Prepared for anything but hope for the Best does apply.  I will also add that once you get south of Baja, February weather is normally very nice (sunny with temps in the low 80s).  We live in Puerto Vallarta at that time of the year and expect that kind of weather for most of the winter months.  But there are some exceptions and we have actually had a few cloudy weeks and even some winter rain (very rare).

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for your insights. I really figured , deep down, that it would be a crap shoot, but was hoping (aka, dreaming) that there was a more definitive answer!🤣🤣 

Since were flying in from north Texas,  where the winter weather is even more unpredictable,  I'll probably have to pack for two seasons, anyway.  Hoping for smooth sailing!😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2019 at 2:44 PM, BruceMuzz said:

There is no pattern, there is no way to predict.

Sometimes calm / sometimes rough.

Sometimes hot / sometimes warm / sometimes cold.

Sometimes rainy / sometimes cloudy / sometimes sunny.

Any individual historical experience that anyone gives you here is just that - an old story that may never be repeated when you sail.

 

 

I will push back on this.

 

YES, there is a pattern. From Cabo to Manzanillo in February the weather pattern is warm, high 70's to low 80's is the pattern, with overnight lows in the low 60's to high 60's. Yes it CAN get colder, but that is out of the pattern

 

It is not "sometimes" rainy in February, it is seldom rainy in February. It is one of the driest months on the Mexican Riviera.

 

The seas do vary more than the land so you have to be prepared for a little roughness, but it's never been overly rough in the years we have sailed south and be prepared for cooler nights on the ocean.

 

Any individual historical experiences that anyone gives you are just that, but there are very public, not individual historical records of what it is like. The overall experience is great, which is why cruise lines go to the Mexican Riviera in Winter and not Summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 6:04 PM, kew1031 said:

We will be sailing on the Panorama February 8th to Cabo, Mazatlán, and Puerto Vallarta. Have never done this itinerary before and it's February. I know that "winter" in Los Angeles can vary wildly. We were there in Feb 2016 and it was 90 degrees the whole time we were there. 

And of course, we will be sailing south. What is the water like that time of year? I have problems with motion sickness sometimes when the water is choppy. Also, we have a couple sailing with us who have never done a cruise before. I want them to be prepared for the possibility of rough seas.(and me, too!)

I realize that whatever the "average" is, the weather can be exactly opposite at any given time.

Just asking about your experiences.

thanks!

Kay in Dallas

 

Did this cruise last year at the same time. The good thing is you will be on a bigger ship, so you should feel less motion. It will be chilly on the first and last days. Some people think that 64 degrees is warm. I disagree. The Pacific tends to be a bit rougher than the Caribbean ocean. The Sea of Cortez is usually very smooth. The ports will be warm with out being overly hot at that point. It was wonderful with temps between 75-85.

The best whale watching will be the morning pulling into Cabo and on the first sea day headed back to LA. Bring binoculars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mkcurran said:

Did this cruise last year at the same time. The good thing is you will be on a bigger ship, so you should feel less motion. It will be chilly on the first and last days. Some people think that 64 degrees is warm. I disagree. The Pacific tends to be a bit rougher than the Caribbean ocean. The Sea of Cortez is usually very smooth. The ports will be warm with out being overly hot at that point. It was wonderful with temps between 75-85.

The best whale watching will be the morning pulling into Cabo and on the first sea day headed back to LA. Bring binoculars.

I'll keep all this in mind. And add binoculars to my packing list!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2019 at 4:28 PM, mkcurran said:

Some people think that 64 degrees is warm. I disagree. .

 

You live in Yuma where people put on parkas when it is 64 and wear mittens. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, scottca075 said:

 

You live in Yuma where people put on parkas when it is 64 and wear mittens. 🙂

I feel for MkCurran.  I had to put on a long sleeved shirt last week, when our daytime high temperature feel below three digits for the first time in well over a month --- the high was only 93.  And our low was only 85.  Positively chilly!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...