What to do on Kangaroo Island for the day?

We have never been to Kangaroo Island before.

I was wondering for these who have been there what did you do there for the day?? and what would you recommend doing there??

Any ideas / suggestions are very welcome 😎

PS: We will be on  Kangaroo Island on my Birthday!

Edited by Kiwi_cruiser

You can't see it all in a few hours off a ship. But after the first time, we always hire a car and drive around. The Cape Willoughby lighthouse is a long drive but well worth seeing. Nice views. Emu Ridge Eucalyptus Distillery is an essential visit with lots of interesting stuff and quite good food and drinks. You might even meet 'Luscious Larry'! Any access road to the southern shoreline is worth the effort. Pennington Bay is very pretty, we have seen dolphins playing at the beach. Kingscote is a nice town, there is a gin distillery on the way where particularly good gins are available, if a bit expensive. The honey factory "Island Beehive" is also on the way and is quite good. American River is interesting too. The Remarkables and Admirals Arch are impressive but a really long drive, probably best done on a ships tour. Basically do some research but book your car early, they book out pretty quickly when the ships come in!

Hope this helps a bit.

Steve.

• Like 2

I resume it a tender stop at Kingscote ??    time a shore about six hours ...

as gnomey says... everything it not round the corner... yes have spent a couple of weeks on the island and it is a lovely place

So you could rush around or sit and relax... it up to you.... but I would say if going further afield I would take the ship tour for peace of mind... and somebody it doing the driving ( as it is your birthday )

Have a great cruise

Cheers Don..

I feel that the key scenic points on Kangaroo Island and the Remarkables and Admiralty Arch (close to each other) and Seal Bay. We have only been to the island as independent travellers and staying for a few days so I cannot advise if you would need to take a ship's tour if you want to go to these places.

I agree with Gnomey. We have done Kangaroo Island twice as a port stop and hired a car through Hertz. We anchored of Penneshaw and tendered in. The Hertz guy was waiting for us and quickly signed us up. 

The first time we went to the lighthouse and to the Koala Sanctuary. The second time we had others with us and went to the Wildlife Farm so they could see kangaroos and koalas.

We still haven't made it to Remarkable Rocks or the Seals. Each time we go we want to come back and stay for a few days as there is so much to do.

Julie

Make sure you keep away from the Tiger Snakes, on Kangaroo Island they tend to be black and most of them are blind due to the birds pecking out their eyes. Being blind they have a very nasty temperament, and will strike if they sense warmth nearby, the warmth quite often is from a persons leg.

Edited by Russell21

9 hours ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

I did a ship tour and we visited the Remarkables, the Arch and Seal Bay. It was an expensive tour, but I enjoyed it. The roads were not sealed and very corrugated, so I was glad that we had not hired a car and tried to drive the considerable distances involved.

That would be the best tour - the Remarkables, Admirals Arch and Seal Bay.

When we went to KI the roads were unsealed and very corrugated. It's interesting to see that nothing had changed. We were in our motorhome so had to drive slowly on the bad roads. The ferry from the mainland was expensive. It cost much more than taking a large motorhome and five people across the English Channel.

• 4 months later...
14 hours ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Thank You everyone for your information and replays, very helpfully 😊

We never did get ashore at Kangaroo Island  as it was too windy for us to safely tender ashore 😞

Maybe you could visit on a land holiday in the future when the island has fully recovered from the current bush fires.  It is well worth a visit,, with its National Parks, wildlife, koalas, seals, birds, etc. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It is well worth a couple of days, perhaps give it another month before going though, so it can recover from the fires.

Unfortunately, it will take a lot longer than a month.  I'm thinking of Spring 2021.  

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I meant the businesses which will need tourist dollars flowing back in.

I understand businesses would like tourist dollars to flow back in as soon as possible.  However, I fear, if tourists are not happy with what is on offer (due to bush fire damage), they won't return.  Many tourists already complain about the long drive across the island, because they don't understand just how big Kangaroo Island is for a day trip from a cruise ship.  

The islanders want people to keep their bookings and still come, but not for a month or so. Kingscote, Cygnet river and American river where most of the accommodation are and such are still fine.

They just need to clean up/repair the parts of the island that have been affected which is mainly roads to the Admirals' Arch and the Remarkable's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

The islanders want people to keep their bookings and still come, but not for a month or so. Kingscote, Cygnet river and American river where most of the accommodation are and such are still fine.

They just need to clean up/repair the parts of the island that have been affected which is mainly roads to the Admirals' Arch and the Remarkable's.

I have just read that all the buildings within Flinders Chase National Park appeared to have been destroyed, apart from Cape du Couedic and Cape Borda Lighthouses on the far west coast.

Mike Williams, National Parks and Wildlife Executive Director, local recovery co-ordinator for the island.

We have stayed in the lighthouse cottages and the Postman's cottage in the National Park.  I hope they rebuild these historic cottages, which are unique to KI.

Yes, there has been devastation on at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the island, many farms, property, bush and businesses have gone, the Eco lodge is totalled as well but the rest of the island needs to keep going. I hope with some time the places can be rebuilt better than before.

The website of the Kangaroo Island Tourism, Food, Wine and Beverage association has comprehensive information here:

https://www.tourkangarooisland.com.au/kangaroo-island-fires

and here:

https://www.tourkangarooisland.com.au/sites/tki5/media/banner/ki-fires-2020/kangaroo-island-fires-2020-faq-15012020.docx.pdf

We have yet to visit KI and were planning a mid-year land visit - so will go ahead with that based on the information at the above links.

Edited by Emma Chisit
word omitted
  • Like 2