extra charges

delgirl

Just received my credit card bill for our cruise on oceana and lo and behold the day after our departure there was a charge for £1.75. Phoned up p and o merely to make a point. He said it was probably something out of the mini bar or we'd purchased something. Told him we did not use our card on the last day as we spent the morning in malta and had a tea with our lunch. I also checked the fridge before we left our stateroom as I had read about these charges, and there was 2 bottles of water still in there. (we never have anything out of the fridge). He said he would send me a cheque in the post! I said is it worth it for the amount but then said ok do that (whether I will cash it in!!) I also remarked that a lot of people are complaining about the extra charges I said if they charged extra on most cruises they were onto a nice little earner as not everyone can be bothered about such a small amount and wouldn't complain. Must admit he was very nice about it and said he hadn't had any phone calls for a while about the overcharges so thought it had been resolved. He also said as he was sending me a cheque it would be classed as a complaint about p and o. I told him I was only phoning really to make a point as it shouldn't happen.

If you have no intention of cashing it in then why phone in the first place and if you do not cash the cheque then it will carry on happening. I know it is a minuscule amount but you are right in what you are saying if it keeps on happening it adds up to a nice little earner for somebody if you count the number of berths in all the ships. This has been continually happening, not just on P&O but also Cunard, same finance department in Southampton but there seems to be no interest of trying to solve this problem and to stop it.

Edited by majortom10

I've had this happen twice with Cunard and I have chased up the refund including the 10 pence for the difference in the exchange rate form Dollars to Pounds, I know that it sounds petty and not worth it, but if it's a few pounds from each account, each cruise this soon adds up and it's fraud.

So please cash the cheque and everybody check you statements and if it's wrong follow it up! 

10 hours ago, delgirl said:

Just received my credit card bill for our cruise on oceana and lo and behold the day after our departure there was a charge for £1.75. Phoned up p and o merely to make a point. He said it was probably something out of the mini bar or we'd purchased something. Told him we did not use our card on the last day as we spent the morning in malta and had a tea with our lunch. I also checked the fridge before we left our stateroom as I had read about these charges, and there was 2 bottles of water still in there. (we never have anything out of the fridge). He said he would send me a cheque in the post! I said is it worth it for the amount but then said ok do that (whether I will cash it in!!) I also remarked that a lot of people are complaining about the extra charges I said if they charged extra on most cruises they were onto a nice little earner as not everyone can be bothered about such a small amount and wouldn't complain. Must admit he was very nice about it and said he hadn't had any phone calls for a while about the overcharges so thought it had been resolved. He also said as he was sending me a cheque it would be classed as a complaint about p and o. I told him I was only phoning really to make a point as it shouldn't happen.

When this has happened to us P&O and RCCL have recredited the amount back to our credit card.

On 9/13/2019 at 1:57 PM, delgirl said:

I phoned to make a point. Also thought they could refund my credit card. Just not sure if I want to pay in a cheque for £1.75, but I may do so, it does need to stop happening.

It's not always necessary to visit a bank to pay a cheque in. I can pay into my Halifax account using their app on my smartphone. Although I have never used it as cheques are now disappearing, it seems quite easy to do.

Edited by Yesrock52

4 hours ago, Yesrock52 said:

It's not always necessary to visit a bank to pay a cheque in. I can pay into my Halifax account using their app on my smartphone. Although I have never used it as cheques are now disappearing, it seems quite easy to do.

I can do the same on my Barclays app, on the odd occasion a customer insists on paying by cheque.. Yes, they still exist... 

Andy

45 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I can do the same on my Barclays app, on the odd occasion a customer insists on paying by cheque.. Yes, they still exist... 

Andy

I also have the Barclays app but that function is not on it. According to Barclays FAQ's it is being gradually rolled out. You must be one of the favoured.

Chris.

Edited by Yesrock52
  • Like 1

Started a thread after this happened to me for the third time earlier this year. The amount of "errors" is quite disturbing. If they took an extra pound off everyone after they disembarked it would amount to a tidy sum over the year.

I suspect 90% of people couldn't be bothered complaining for less than a £5, so many will go either unchallenged or unnoticed.

If you paid by credit card it should be refunded to your credit card. I guess the customer service rep was being facetious, but it's the principle not the amount.

This extra charge has been going on for a few years. A couple or so years ago it was happening then. When it happened to us I phoned P&O about it and they gave a little extra OBC for our next cruise.....think the extra charge was about £3 and they gave us £5.When I asked where the extra charge had come from they mentioned something about possibly the mini bar....which we never use. From the response at the time it was obvious that it is standard practice and because it is only a nominal amount most people just accept it. But when you think about it if 50% of the cabins across the fleet on every cruise have this extra charge put on then it is a " nice little earner" for P&O. They can well afford to give the extra £2 " compensation"....P&O are well aware of the practice but because everyone isn't  shouting out loud about they choose to let it continue....why wouldn't they ....it' could be a few extra  ( thousand)  pounds into their coffers.