Breakaway Haven Spa Suite Sailing 9/29/19-10/06/19

graphicguy

12 hours ago, LinnieRed said:

Speaking of alcohol, have you noticed if they are serving any “hard seltzer” such as White Claw or Bon & Viv?

@LinnieRed  --  I have switched my Absolut/Grey Goose & Tonic to Absolut/Grey Goose & Seltzer.  I'd rather save the carbs in Seltzer for a real coke @ a different time 🙂  You could do the same thing w/ Gin as well...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Von & John said:

@LinnieRed  --  I have switched my Absolut/Grey Goose & Tonic to Absolut/Grey Goose & Seltzer.  I'd rather save the carbs in Seltzer for a real coke @ a different time 🙂  You could do the same thing w/ Gin as well...

Oops...

That should have read - I'd rather save the carbs in Tonic for a real coke @ a different time...

4 minutes ago, Von & John said:

Oops...

That should have read - I'd rather save the carbs in Tonic for a real coke @ a different time...

I've been drinking vodka soda water with lime for years - never knew it was such an American woman thing until I watched a show on Hulu where a character from London mocked an American woman by speculating it was what she wanted - I felt mildly attacked lol

Wow...

Interesting.  I really enjoy my Absolut & soda...  Kind of funny 🙂 

However, when we are traveling - I usually try new drinks...

If you really want to get rid of a stress headache - Abolut & Tonic is the best!!!

Will be doing more posting with more pics next week.

As of right now, I’m settled in at MIA.  Flight is not until 3:30 p.m.  Went to Centurion Lounge.  They wouldn’t allow me to come in given my flight is several hours away.....new AMEX policy.

Just a heads up.  AMEX PLATINUM has recently raised their fees, cut the coverage of their cruise travel insurance, and is now cutting back on the use of their Centurion Lounges.  My TA believes they will be cutting the OBC they offer also.

For these reasons, after being an AMEX card holder for 35+ years, I’ll be cancelling it and moving to Chase Sapphire Reserve.

• Like 3

Used every pod in the coffee machine (Nespresso) before showering.  Packed, showered and was actually too late for breakfast in the Haven Restaurant.  

Concierges helped us pass all the HUGE lines.  Hit the facial recognition station and was on my way to MIA about 9:30.  Easiest disembarkation I’ve ever had.  No more waiting in the long immigration lines.

• Like 2

While I probably shouldn’t pull the “do as I say, not as I do” routine.  For those of you who party a wee bit more than you should while on a cruise, can’t recommend this stuff highly enough.  Lord knows I should have felt a lot worse several days after several “big” nights, this stuff is the real deal.

https://www.flyby.co/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

While I probably shouldn’t pull the “do as I say, not as I do” routine.  For those of you who party a wee bit more than you should while on a cruise, can’t recommend this stuff highly enough.  Lord knows I should have felt a lot worse several days after several “big” nights, this stuff is the real deal.

https://www.flyby.co/

I just put Flyby in my Amazon cart. 😀🥂 Thanks! We have an H6 booked on the Breakaway. We liked that suite primarily for the large aft balcony and the bathroom that overlooks the water. I have been reading reviews recently of how much of a hike it is to the Haven proper, one woman described it as "the length of 3 football fields" and she claimed service from the butler suffered because she wasn't in the Haven. Did you ever walk from the very aft of the ship to the Haven? What were your thoughts on the butler service as you were not in the Haven area either? Thanks again for a fun and informative report. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Will be doing more posting with more pics next week.

As of right now, I’m settled in at MIA.  Flight is not until 3:30 p.m.  Went to Centurion Lounge.  They wouldn’t allow me to come in given my flight is several hours away.....new AMEX policy.

Just a heads up.  AMEX PLATINUM has recently raised their fees, cut the coverage of their cruise travel insurance, and is now cutting back on the use of their Centurion Lounges.  My TA believes they will be cutting the OBC they offer also.

For these reasons, after being an AMEX card holder for 35+ years, I’ll be cancelling it and moving to Chase Sapphire Reserve.

Unfortunately the few bad apples ruin the bunch.  People would stay in the lounge all day.  Unless you travel in the extreme, the GOLD card is worth it and pays for itself with 3x-4x the points including free checked bags, etc.  Credit card travel insurance is very tricky.  IMHO its almost like that used car warranty. Sounds great on paper but there are too many loopholes for coverage.

Glad you had a great cruise and cant wait for the rest of your review when you get home

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ashleyriley said:

I just put Flyby in my Amazon cart. 😀🥂 Thanks! We have an H6 booked on the Breakaway. We liked that suite primarily for the large aft balcony and the bathroom that overlooks the water. I have been reading reviews recently of how much of a hike it is to the Haven proper, one woman described it as "the length of 3 football fields" and she claimed service from the butler suffered because she wasn't in the Haven. Did you ever walk from the very aft of the ship to the Haven? What were your thoughts on the butler service as you were not in the Haven area either? Thanks again for a fun and informative report. 

You are welcome.  Glad you’re enjoying it.

I’ve heard people say they like having their cabins in the Haven area.  And I’ve talked to those who were in the Aft Haven Cabins.  I’ve been in an Aft Suite, and I think they’re marvelous.

I was in a Spa Suite on this cruise,  it in the Haven proper.  So, I used the stairs up and down Into and out of the Haven as part of my exercise routine.  That said, the thermal Spa, which I used everyday was just a few steps away from me.  I liked that.

Plus, most of the specialty restaurants and show venues are either mid ship or aft.  I guess what I’m saying is you’re walking somewhere all the time regardless whether your cabin is in the Haven or somewhere else.  Personally, I feel many of the best Haven cabins on the ship are not actually in the Haven.

i never used my Butler much.  I didn’t do any room service as I preferred to sit in the Haven Restaurant or out out by the Haven Pool.  Matter of fact, the only request I had for my Butler (Narcisco) was to not bring me chocolate covered strawberries and to forego the sparkling wine.  He still brought the wine and the strawberries, twice more.  So, he wasn’t really of any use to me.  But, his charter is to bring you your meals if requested, regardless of where your cabin is.

I used the concierges much more.  Both of them were exemplary!

If someone actually felt they had to walk 3 football fields from the aft to the Haven (forward) they must be terribly out of shape.  It’s not nearly that long, nor that difficult!  Maybe took 5 mins to walk from the aft elevators to the forward elevators.

You’ll love that aft cabin and the Haven.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

That "Hike" will depend on how fit you actually are!  DH and I (60's) walk at least every other day, or more frequently sometimes.  Since we would likely walk more than that anyway, it's no hike for us!  But, for many that walk could be difficult!

As for service, another non-issue for us, as the only thing we asked of a butler was ice and coffee for the Nespresso.

• Like 2

graphicguy and Texasgal,  thanks so much for your replies. Makes me feel much better. We actually run 5 days a week so walking isn't an issue. I guess it was the overall tone of this particular review that had me worried that the food and service were not good. Think I will just enjoy whatever graphicguy has left to report and stay off the rest of the reviews.  We are the type of people to enjoy most vacations and see the positive. Like that amazing aft view and balcony we are so excited about. Thanks again!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

That "Hike" will depend on how fit you actually are!  DH and I (60's) walk at least every other day, or more frequently sometimes.  Since we would likely walk more than that anyway, it's no hike for us!  But, for many that walk could be difficult!

As for service, another non-issue for us, as the only thing we asked of a butler was ice and coffee for the Nespresso.

Exactly!  Put it another way, the walking track around the outside of the pool/lounger area is ⅛ th mile. I can walk (not run...not jog) a mile in a little less than 20 mins.  So, if aft to forward is the same as 1/2 lap on the walking track (which I believe it is given you would just be walking one side of the walking track), even out of shape, it should take just a few minutes.

I’ve always felt if you have limited mobility, a cruise....any cruise....probably isn’t an ideal vacation for you because of the right spaces to get around in and the many decks you have to negotiate.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ashleyriley said:

graphicguy and Texasgal,  thanks so much for your replies. Makes me feel much better. We actually run 5 days a week so walking isn't an issue. I guess it was the overall tone of this particular review that had me worried that the food and service were not good. Think I will just enjoy whatever graphicguy has left to report and stay off the rest of the reviews.  We are the type of people to enjoy most vacations and see the positive. Like that amazing aft view and balcony we are so excited about. Thanks again!

No worries.  Aside from the old ladies in the elevator, everything was outstanding.  I’ll have more about the ship, the food, the excursions and the cast of characters who made this cruise so special later on.

As they say, haters gonna hate!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

@david_sobe....I hear you.

I’ve been contemplating replacing my AMEX for a little while now.  This isn’t just about today’s events in the Centurion Lounge.  

Visa Sapphire Reserve looks to have better benefits and travel insurance.  Plus, they’re a bit less expensive than AMEX, too.

Appreciate your insight.

• Like 1

We have an aft booked in 4 weeks.  I am looking forward to the walk to offset the food and drinks!  If you are on after that, I’ll let you know how the service is

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I’ve been contemplating replacing my AMEX for a little while now.  This isn’t just about today’s events in the Centurion Lounge.  

Visa Sapphire Reserve looks to have better benefits and travel insurance.  Plus, they’re a bit less expensive than AMEX, too.

Appreciate your insight.

We've been looking @ this one as well...

If you get it in the near future & have any reviews on it - we'd be interested!!!

14 hours ago, Von & John said:

We've been looking @ this one as well...

If you get it in the near future & have any reviews on it - we'd be interested!!!

Going to talk to the nearby Chase office today.  Will let you know.

On the surface, it looks like the Sapphire card offers better travel insurance, some more/better perks, and is less expensive per year.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 8:57 AM, Rumour19 said:

Thanks for the great info so far.  We are first timers heading to the Haven in 4 weeks.  Any tips, insight, menus, drink recommendations are greatly appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful trip

Sorry I took so long to get back to you.

Advice?

Let Bowen and Nimfa (sp?), the two concierges on board, take care of all your arrangements for reservations, excursion and customer service.  They’ll even tell you NOT TO go to Customer Service, the Box Office, the Restaurant Reservations station and stand in line.  

I usually don’t use my Butler much.  But, s/he will bring all of your room service and in suite dining....including snacks.  For some reason, my Butler didn’t really hear me regarding my requests for no chocolate covered strawberries or sparkling wine.  He kept bringing them after I requested he NOT do that.  No biggie, but I just didn’t find much occasion to use his services.

You probably have the Specialty Dining Package.  Use those, although you might be tempted not to given how good the Haven Restaurant is.  If I were going to book 3 SDPs, I’m make it LeBistro, La Cucina and Tepanyaki.  Ate at all 3.  All 3 were excellent. Matter of fact, I’d say the food on NCL has taken a fairly significant upturn over my most recent cruises.

Seek out Davidette and Raymond at the Haven Bar.  Their customer service is superlative.  Ask Raymond to make you an “angry fish” or a “lobster”.  Smoky Manhattans and/or Old Fashions are quite good, too.

Eat as many specialty dinners as you can outside, al fresco.  The Water Front is wonderful.  And, if you’re eating in the evening, while it may be breezy, there’s no better way to have a nice meal than it do it outside while watching the sun set while you’re at sea.

Make friends with your Haven compadres.  You’ll be spending a week with them, and find those you think you would enjoy spending time with.  You’ll find yourself making plans with them and enjoying your cruise that much more.

Have breakfast (and/or lunch) out by the pool area.  It’s a great way to start the day.

Go to the Haven retreat through the back door of the 2nd level of the Haven pool area.  I would go there quite a bit in the mid-late afternoon to read or just relax. They’ll have servers up there ready to get you drinks, fruit skewers, etc.  Quiet area overlooking the water.

If you can, get a Thermal Spa pass.  I spent every day there and it is a relaxing way to just let the stress flow away.

Hope those things help get you started.  You’re going to love it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Appreciate your insight.

Love my Sapphire Reserve. Right off the bat $300.00 travel credit. That’s gone so fast!

• Like 2

I only ate at the Garden Cafe once.  And, that was only after coming back from an excursion and not wanting anything more than a salad.  Salad was good.  Toppings were plentiful.  Everything was fresh.  The Garden Cafe was impeccably clean (as was the entire ship) and I didn't have any issues finding a seat.  I think they had specials every night, but did not get the chance to chronicle them.

IMG_0265.jpeg

IMG_0266.jpeg

IMG_0267.jpeg

• Like 1