HELP Anyone cruised on Pride of America in March - Help needed deciding please

CRAZYCROSS

I hope someone who has done the Pride of America cruise in March can help me decide. We had booked our flights to go in May but the sailing have all been cancelled. The only other date we can go to Hawaii due to work commitments is the 14 March sailing. We have to pay a lot of money to transfer our flights etc, so we are concerned incase the weather in March isn't good (I've read that its the rainiest season). Has anyone sailed on POA at this time of year?  We have sailed POS in October and the weather was lovely and the seas not too rough.

Our other option is to keep our flights in May and fly over to Maui from Oahu for 5 nights. 

Any help would be much appreciated as we just can't decide what to do!!!

4 hours ago, CRAZYCROSS said:

I hope someone who has done the Pride of America cruise in March can help me decide.

Don't know how much help this could possibly be, but I was on POA March 2019. On my cruise, it rained just enough one day to cancel my helicopter tour on the big island. The rest of the time it was nice and sunny.

My wife and I sailed the POA in March 2018. It wasn’t rain free but not enough to hamper our exploration of the islands. I think the rainiest day was on Hilo. Overall the weather was fine. Honestly we were happy to have some clouds around. If it had been 100% sun it would have been uncomfortably warm.

The best you can do is look on a weather site and find out the averages for temperatures and rainfall for the places you want to go to.  At best, you'll get an idea of what to expect knowing that you are just looking at averages.  Past experiences with weather will not accurately forecast what you will experience now or in the future.

Heck, even in Scotland the sun comes out sometimes unexpectedly.  🙂

6 hours ago, CRAZYCROSS said:

I hope someone who has done the Pride of America cruise in March can help me decide. We had booked our flights to go in May but the sailing have all been cancelled. The only other date we can go to Hawaii due to work commitments is the 14 March sailing. We have to pay a lot of money to transfer our flights etc, so we are concerned incase the weather in March isn't good (I've read that its the rainiest season). Has anyone sailed on POA at this time of year?  We have sailed POS in October and the weather was lovely and the seas not too rough.

Our other option is to keep our flights in May and fly over to Maui from Oahu for 5 nights. 

Any help would be much appreciated as we just can't decide what to do!!!

I find Hawaii wonderful-  any time.   No guarantee and frankly it’s a waste of time speculating.  What is so urgent in your planning with the weather?    

I’v Been there every time frame.  And just back from a 3 week trip-  2 cruises—-    It’s all great.      

Thanks for your input everyone. I understand that nothing is guaranteed weather wise and I probably look into things far too much! 

40 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

The best you can do is look on a weather site and find out the averages for temperatures and rainfall for the places you want to go to.  At best, you'll get an idea of what to expect knowing that you are just looking at averages.  Past experiences with weather will not accurately forecast what you will experience now or in the future.

Heck, even in Scotland the sun comes out sometimes unexpectedly.  🙂

Ha Ha - your right - its sunny today 😀

We cruised Hawaii (not NCL) in March and the weather was delightful.  My husband thinks that maybe we had one passing shower, but I can't even remember it.  We went on a private whale watching excursion in Maui, and it was incredible.  One of those once in a lifetime perfect days!  

For me, March is the month I would choose to go to Hawaii.

Other than hurricanes and what not, Hawaii makes its own weather.  Meaning that each island has dry areas, wet areas, really REALLY wet areas, and semi-arid areas (and etc. ad infinitum).  It also means that just like in other rainforests, even in the wet areas, you'll be dry for a lot of time until the clouds build up and dump on you. 

I'd say that any time you can get to Hawaii is a wonderful time.  Just do a bit of research on each island to find out where their weather happens so you'll know what might be a good back up plan in case you don't want to take the Road to Hana in a downpour, for example.

I cruised the POA in March 2014. We had some rain and clouds on one of our days in Maui, however we were on a whale watch and despite the weather it was incredible and we saw TONS of whales. We even had a full breach! Other than that we had a few cloudy/overcast days but nothing that affected our trip. We had many nice sunny days as well, it was a good mix. Regardless I think you'll have an amazing time! 

Though it wasn’t on the PoA, we sailed another cruise line to Hawaii in March. We had great weather the whole time with the exception of rain all day in Hilo. The beach in Kauai by the port was discouraged for swimming, however, due to a recent storm churning up bacteria. We had a fantastic cruise and would easily go there again in March! 

On the flip side, my best friend went to Maui for 10 days in March and it rained the entire time!!!!!! They had a miserable trip.