How is the food on the Serenade

barbels

We'll be taking our first Royal Caribbean cruise in January.  We are primarily cruising on the Serenade to see Perry Grant again. (I've been practicing my Position.) So food is definitely secondary.  But the menus showing on the RCI app are really blah-inexpensive ingredients for the most part and not a lot of choice.  Even the specialty restaurants don't look interesting.  Am I going to be pleasantly surprised?

1 hour ago, barbels said:

We'll be taking our first Royal Caribbean cruise in January.  We are primarily cruising on the Serenade to see Perry Grant again. (I've been practicing my Position.) So food is definitely secondary.  But the menus showing on the RCI app are really blah-inexpensive ingredients for the most part and not a lot of choice.  Even the specialty restaurants don't look interesting.  Am I going to be pleasantly surprised?

I really think you should cancel because you are going into the cruise looking to be disappointed. You will probably succeed.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I really think you should cancel because you are going into the cruise looking to be disappointed. You will probably succeed.

Might be good advice.  There is so much choice between MDR, Windjammer and Specialty I don't know how one could describe it all as "blah".  Especially before even trying it.  Not sure what "inexpensive" means, it's not like they're serving bologna and hot dogs all over the ship.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, barbels said:

We'll be taking our first Royal Caribbean cruise in January.  We are primarily cruising on the Serenade to see Perry Grant again. (I've been practicing my Position.)..........

Did you come from Celebrity to follow him? I'm guessing the "position" is something related only to him?  🙄

Yes. We have taken more than 25 cruises on Celebrity where we first saw Perry on the Connie. We followed him to Princess and now RC. He makes me laugh until my stomach hurts and there’s no better way to   End the night. 

8 hours ago, barbels said:

Yes. We have taken more than 25 cruises on Celebrity where we first saw Perry on the Connie. We followed him to Princess and now RC. He makes me laugh until my stomach hurts and there’s no better way to   End the night. 

Is his shtick still just making fun of people in the audience or has he finally come up with something else?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, barbels said:

Perry's shtick is making people laugh.  The people he is making fun of keep coming back for more every night.  He is playing to more than standing room only crowds on the Explorer of the Seas every night this summer.

Just curious. What's a 'more than standing room only' crowd? 

Have seen him on Celebrity and really cannot figure out the fascination. Find him predictable, corny and not a little creepy. Each to his (or more likely her) own though, he does have a drooling fanbase 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barbels said:

Perry's shtick is making people laugh.  The people he is making fun of keep coming back for more every night.  He is playing to more than standing room only crowds on the Explorer of the Seas every night this summer.

I thought it was only us who thought he was beyond rude. There was a couple that he ripped into and we later saw them at another bar. They were so mad and embarrassed about how he treated them. It was horrifying for us to watch how he treated people so we walked out about half way through. This was on the Eclipse years ago. I just don't understand how people think that's funny.

15 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I thought it was only us who thought he was beyond rude. There was a couple that he ripped into and we later saw them at another bar. They were so mad and embarrassed about how he treated them. It was horrifying for us to watch how he treated people so we walked out about half way through. This was on the Eclipse years ago. I just don't understand how people think that's funny.

Wow you guys are touchy. I don’t think I’m better than anybody else. And by the way I don’t think the food on Celebrity is nearly as good as it was ten years ago. Who am I to tell others what to like?  I’m just asking a question about what I might like. 

I’ve  seen Perry’s act on many cruises and I’ve never seen him insult anyone who couldn’t take it or didn’t think it was funny. I’m not disputing that you have. 

If you don’t want to see Perry on the Explorer I’m sure there are many other things you could be doing. 

I think Perry is on the Serenade for cruise before Jan 10. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, barbels said:

Wow you guys are touchy. I don’t think I’m better than anybody else. And by the way I don’t think the food on Celebrity is nearly as good as it was ten years ago. Who am I to tell others what to like?  I’m just asking a question about what I might like. 

I’ve  seen Perry’s act on many cruises and I’ve never seen him insult anyone who couldn’t take it or didn’t think it was funny. I’m not disputing that you have. 

If you don’t want to see Perry on the Explorer I’m sure there are many other things you could be doing. 

I think Perry is on the Serenade for cruise before Jan 10. 

Found some videos on youtube.  He seems pretty odd and I can see why it's a love or hate thing with him.  Hard to believe people actually schedule a cruise around a piano bar entertainer, but I guess some do.....

• Like 1