Zaadam will stay in Quebec for the weekend (problem with the ship)

Master98

We were down at the dock this afternoon, not long before its scheduled departure. We heard the captain make an announcement about some issue with one of the engines that had previously been announced that morning. From what I could hear, they had been working on the problem all day, and at that point (5:45 pm) they were hoping to get underway at some point soon, but weren't sure when. It was hard to hear what all he was saying, but I think that he said something to the effect that while they technically could make Montreal with their reduced power, as the river narrows sailing towards Montreal he wasn't comfortable sailing her without the power from the faulty engine.

The ship-locating site MarineTraffic shows the Zaandam at a commercial dock behind the grain elevators rather than at the Cruise Terminal dock by the Old Town.

On the 8/31-9/7 trip from Boston to Montreal there were divers working at every port to disassemble one of the bow thrusters so that it could be repaired, supposedly after snagging a lobster pot at Bar Harbor.

3 hours ago, JennysUncle said:

The ship-locating site MarineTraffic shows the Zaandam at a commercial dock behind the grain elevators rather than at the Cruise Terminal dock by the Old Town.

On the 8/31-9/7 trip from Boston to Montreal there were divers working at every port to disassemble one of the bow thrusters so that it could be repaired, supposedly after snagging a lobster pot at Bar Harbor.

Hate the inconvenience for the passengers.  Good to know the "old girl" would have been okay had the lobster pot not gotten in the way.  That's a lot of distance to cover with a mechanical problem brewing.  Let's hope the repair occurs quickly, so the passengers can resume their cruise.

We sail this ship and this itinerary July 2020, so this reinforces what I already understand about traveling: Be prepared for anything.

The current problem must be different.  The second bow thruster was working OK, so there was no impact on the schedule.  I assume that they put it back together on the next week's trip.  It was just interesting to watch the divers getting suited up, and then a hoist bringing up propellor components.

MarineVesselTraffic.com shows the recent ship track.  They had left the port just after midnight Friday and got about a third of the way to the narrows with the very low bridge, then at 0:30 am Saturday turned back and went around to the St Charles River dock.  They must have delayed the Friday 6 pm departure to work and thought things were fixed enough, then decided not and went back.  Must have been a shock to the passengers this morning.

I hope folks do better than Baltimore's Grandeur of the Seas.  A couple of weeks ago she came in with propulsion problems and they thought it was fixed.  They got under a mile and found out it wasn't fixed and had to cancel the cruise.  People who had just boarded had to either be off by 11PM or stay on anchored in the harbor the next day while Carnival Pride was in the terminal.  Hopefully, Zaandam will be ready to leave tomorrow.

Roy

We were on the ship and yes, we were bussed to Montreal... some passengers had to travel the distance in « school » buses... Holland America offered each passenger a $50 shipboard credit and a future cruise discount equal to 15% of the base price paid.  The trip took 3 hours for most buses. The  MontreL terminal was not very well organized. They were  taking buses one at a time to desembark passengers and fill up with new passengers for the trip back to Quebec City before allowing the next bus in.  So it made for a long process. However all the staff and crew from Holland were awesome and Captain Smit did a great job handling the problem.  This was an excellent cruise with only a slight bump in the end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keep in mind the operation had to be planned late Friday evening.  What a contract to find 30-35 buses on a Friday evening to begin operations at 4AM.  Also, all partners had to find staff to handle the operations (greeting staff, check-in staff, security staff, screening staff, porters, drivers, etc.).  It was a pretty complex logistic to prepare.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I was just about to say the same thing (but 21.8 kt now).  Bon Voyage to her new passengers.

Roy

1 hour ago, JennysUncle said:

Zaandam has pulled out on time at 5 pm. Making 23.4 kn downriver. 

Thanks for posting this information!.  The St. Lawrence River's current is probably aiding the Zaandam's speed.  I have heard nothing more from them so have no update to post.  But, I know they are pleased to be underway!

If the ship had gotten into a field of lobster pots, it is possible that she wrapped a line around a main prop, and it is only now making itself known, or she could have done this on a subsequent trip. Lines fouling props are a lucrative business for divers in NE.

• Like 1

We were on the Zaandam and debarked in Quebec City.we were on a school bus that was full we had to keep our carryons on our lap for the four and half hours we were on the bus.We were on the bus from 8-12:30 We were let off at a picnic rest stop mid way there was no place to buy water and the temperature was warm.When we arrived at cruise terminal we were not allowed of the bus because too many taxis arriving with incoming passengers,after over a half hour in the sun with no air the bus driver let us off the bus.Our luggage which travelled in trucks had not arrived it took over an hour to get luggage and get a taxi.No taxis knew we were coming our driver said.We left cruise terminal at 1:45 the people in line with us had plane tickets to Texas for 2:40 PM so they were going to miss their plane.We saw no one from Holland to give this elderly couple help and I called Holland and got a busy signal.

10 hours ago, Louise sail said:

We were on the Zaandam and debarked in Quebec City.we were on a school bus that was full we had to keep our carryons on our lap for the four and half hours we were on the bus.We were on the bus from 8-12:30 We were let off at a picnic rest stop mid way there was no place to buy water and the temperature was warm.When we arrived at cruise terminal we were not allowed of the bus because too many taxis arriving with incoming passengers,after over a half hour in the sun with no air the bus driver let us off the bus.Our luggage which travelled in trucks had not arrived it took over an hour to get luggage and get a taxi.No taxis knew we were coming our driver said.We left cruise terminal at 1:45 the people in line with us had plane tickets to Texas for 2:40 PM so they were going to miss their plane.We saw no one from Holland to give this elderly couple help and I called Holland and got a busy signal.

I am sorry that you had this experience.  Not at all unusual the guests travel on one mode of transportation and their luggage on another.  That happened to me debarking Westerdam in Seward with the bus transfer to Anchorage.  My luggage arrive via truck several minutes after I did.

I hope after you have some time to reflect on your experience that you will consider this.  HAL faced an extremely large logistical issue in debarking your cruise's guests and getting the following cruise's guests to Quebec City.  This was an unusual situation.  It's unreasonable, in my opinion, for perfection in such arrangements ought to be expected given the time restraints involved.  

I have two friends who were supposed to embark the Zaandam in Montreal.  One woman is 90 years old and needs assistance.  Were they surprised at what they had to endure?  Surely.  But, they did so and are enjoying their cruise!  

May I suggest that you chalk your travel experience as just one more of such?  The more one keeps traveling, the more "bumps" in the road keep appearing!

• Like 2

We were on this cruise and thought HAL did a great job considering the few hours they had to get everything ready.  We were told it was a propulsion problem.  There were school buses and coach buses....lucky us on a school bus but the seats were way more comfortable than when I went to school lol.  No air but everyone opened the windows.  We made a stop and could buy some food or water but we had to pay for this ourselves.  We boarded the Zaandam around 4:30 p.m. in QC.  We got an onboard credit of $75 U.S. and the port taxes back.  Was that enough.....I was okay with it although disappointed not to sail out of Montreal.  We heard some upsetting stories especially with people flying in to Montreal that morning and not arriving in QC until the evening.  I can't complain as we were taken care of as best as HAL could considering all the people they had to look after.  We had a wonderful cruise after that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1