WEIGHT WATCHERS and FITBIT

FloridaGram

I am going on a 2 week cruise so it is important to me to track what I eat on my phone on the WW app and to track my steps with my Fitbit. Some may think this is over the top but when one has worked so hard to lose and I plan to continue to lose while on my cruise I just want to be able to monitor it.  For 1 week I wouldn't worry so much but 2 is a lot. 

Please don't comment here unless you have done one of these things. I realize this is very specialized but someone surely has done one or both of these things. 

What I need to know is do I need to get the wifi on the ship AND the international plan on my phone to do this?

It seems, from researching, That I could unsync my fitbit and just sync to my phone again when I am at a port with wifi but then it seems I would need international plan with phone. Or will it sync with fitbit and WW via wifi without the phone service?  I am so tech unsavvy. I don't want to pay more than I have to but I don't want to incur a thousand dollar phone bill either! 

Thanks for the help of anyone who may know how to do this.

The fitbit should sync to your phone with out wifi, it actually works over bluetooth. Whether or not the app will work for food tracking depends on the app. But most of them want access to the web to look things up. So you'll either need wifi or go old school with your food tracking for the week and write everything down to enter when you do have wifi. 

My fitbit will hold up to seven days of data without syncing.  When we were in port, I found a free wireless spot and synced my fitbit.  You should be able to do same.  If you're going to a US territory such as San Juan or St Thomas, you're current plan should work.  You may have to get off ship to get signal.  Hope this helps.

Update:  Agree with mkcurran.  Forgot that it will sync with bluetooth, wifi not needed.

Edited by Fla Senior

Fit bit will be fine w/o data as it syncs via bluetooth to your phone. MFP will require data to look up ingredients etc. However, the calorie count will vary widely as preparation of most of the foods in unknown... ie how much butter or oil is used etc. You can try to keep your log the old fashioned way on the ship then when in port spend some time transferring your data to the app. I've been thinking about diet/fitness logistics myself for my upcoming cruise. Don't want to undo my months of hard work. I could drink my way way through 2000 calories per day easily. 

I am a WW Lifetime member, and have tracked while cruising.  All you need is the highest tiered internet plan.  You do NOT need to get the international plan for your phone.  The syncing between your Fitbit and WW apps will work via the wifi. 

As an FYI, though, just be aware that your Fitbit will act funny on a cruise ship.  My husband and I usually do laps around the track at night, and while the amount of steps seemed to be fairly accurate, the distance that it would log was waaaay off. Being on moving ship seems to throw off the GPS and it thinks you are walking much further than you are.  Like every lap it would say we walked a mile, lol.  But again, the total steps seemed to be ok.

Edited by bakersdozen12

18 hours ago, bakersdozen12 said:

I am a WW Lifetime member, and have tracked while cruising.  All you need is the highest tiered internet plan.  You do NOT need to get the international plan for your phone.  The syncing between your Fitbit and WW apps will work via the wifi. 

As an FYI, though, just be aware that your Fitbit will act funny on a cruise ship.  My husband and I usually do laps around the track at night, and while the amount of steps seemed to be fairly accurate, the distance that it would log was waaaay off. Being on moving ship seems to throw off the GPS and it thinks you are walking much further than you are.  Like every lap it would say we walked a mile, lol.  But again, the total steps seemed to be ok.

Thank you so much! As a lifetime member I am sure you know we can cruise and actually lose or maintain. I usually just track steps at this point so I wouldn't be looking at the miles except I may show it to mu husband so he sees how hard I am working! I love to pull one over on him!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My wife is a lifetime member as well.  When we cruise she actually doesn't track near as much as at home but still eats similar to what we eat here (seafood, chicken, veggies) but with a bite of dessert or of what I am eating here and there.  The secret we have found was to get up and walk a few miles on the walking track and never use an elevator on the entire cruise.  This keeps us both within our usual range.  She always uses wifi to sync her WW and Fitbit accounts.

I have a fitbit ONE and it syncs just fine with my iphone using bluetooth.  I just put the phone on airplane mode, turn on wifi and bluetooth.  The oddity I have is that my One counts flights of stairs, and on Carnival it goes haywire.  I think it has to do with the stability of the ship.  Haven't had that happen on MSC or Celebrity.  EM

Weight Watchers lifetime member myself.  I only buy the social package and could not track points daily on my last cruise.  I had to estimate and and then go back and fill in at ports where we had wifi.  I count steps carrying my iphone and it does goes back and syncs when you get wifi.  

It is too bad that the WW app always has to be hooked up to the internet to track.  You'd think there would be a database of food built into the app.  

Edited by cdm289
change of word